dutch weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundrakatiebean

Reaction score
I have a rescued dutch (suposedly a mix) and was wonder how big pure breed dutches get to be. the reason I was told he was a mix was because he was smallish for a dutch.

Also I am curious as to what showable colors there are for dutch bunnies (pictures?:D)

Thanks guys!

Here's my bunny Wash

washforum.jpg

Ideal weight for Dutch is 4 1/2 pounds.

The recognized varieties are black, chocolate, blue, grey, steel, tortoise. Some breeders breed unrecognized varieties such as harlequin and lilac.

Actually, Wash's markings aren't too far off from how a Dutch should look. His stop on his one foot comes up short - I've had several come out like that from perfectly marked Dutch. For all you know, he could be a mismark from a top breeder. :)

He's probably a grey, like this rabbit:

grayc.jpg

(This picture is off the ADRC website - that is a good representative for how a Dutch should be marked)

Thanks blackdutch! He has some more mismarks that I can recognize even though I don't know the breed very well. He's got a little elbow patch on his front leg for instance.

I guess him being a ditch from a breeder could be possible. He is exactly 4.5 pounds. But I'm not aware of any dutch breeders in Alaska...

I took a close up of Wash's fur because I wanted opinions on what color he is. I thought tort, blackdutch says grey. But to my untrained eye he looks a little brown to grey and a little too dark to be tort. any ideas?

dutchfur.jpg

Just to keep us rabbit people on our toes, the Dutch breed has named their colors slightly differently than what you find in most breeds :D In dutch, the color name of 'grey' is what other breeds call chestnut (agouti). So, yes, I'd bet Wash is a grey (chestnut agouti) purebred dutch.

Scroll about half way down this page:
http://www.verlannahill.com/AboutDutch.htm

He looks very like my dutch Moon, who is a grey. :D
The thing I love most about the coat is how the markings change as they moult - and you get shapes of darker colour appearing.
Lovely breed of rabbit. ;)

Back