Dutch/Showmanship Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdutch

Reaction score
This is using the showmanship exam checklist off Pam Nock's website(http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/showmanshipexam.html)

-Explain body type (arch, semi-arch, commercial, compact or cylindrical); posing position (how; why)
for your breed.

Dutch are compact.. but what is the term for the posing position (I've heard it calledlike a basketball:)) ?

-Check for hutch stain, sunbleach or molt.

What's hutch stain?

-Check undercolor & ring color (if applicable).

For black Dutch, the undercolor is a blueish tone, right? Is there aring color? (I know this is all in the standard, I don't have it infront of me right now :p)

-Check for pigeon breast (deviated sternum).

What is that, and where do I check for it?

-Check for vent disease or hutch burn.

What is that, and where do I check for it?

I think that's all the questions.. sorry if that's difficult to understand.

Term for posing:

I've never heard a specific term for their pose. I'm guessing compact would cover it, but it would be good to know they aren't sitting up ontheir legs.

Hutch Stain:

It is the yellowish stain caused by urine from the cage or being house next to bucks that spray.

Ring Color:

Any self colors (black, blue, chocolate...) are solid there fore they have no ring colors. Agouti's are the colors you look for the rings by blowing into the coat.

Pigeon Breast:

Feel between the rabbits front legs- you shouldn't feel a sharp pointy chest. (Pigeons have an obvious point there) It is a type fault.

Vent Disease/Hutch burn:

I feel these are two different things, but they would look similar. If you flip the rabbit over, you would notice blistering and severe urine stains on it's genitals.

Good luck!

The ring color in dutch is only for Grays. You blow into the coat and you should see 3 distinct colors in colors.

The following is coming from the American Dutch Rabbit Club's Guidebook:

The dutch should maintain a close coupled, well rounded appearance.

It should be cobby in type. Dutch are shown with their head OFF the table. I have seen many judges squish my rabbits'heads into the table.

The black color is supposed to extend as far down the hair shaft as possible blending into a slate blue undercolor.

Hope this helps,

Sharon

Some important areas to cover on the posing ofthe Dutch are to explain that they are a compact body type posed with their front toes even with their eyes and their rear toes even with the hip joint. They should have a close coupled appearance, so should not be spread out when posing.

You will also want to note proper Dutch handling to your showmanship judge - never grasp the scruff of the neck when flipping the Dutch over to examine it. The rabbit should lay in your hand in a natural position and not be stretched out because the markings may be distorted.

Vent disease is spread through mating. Scabs, puss and/orabscesses may be noted on the genitals. The disease istreated with Penn G injections. Vent disease is also known as"scabby nose" because infected rabbits will often have scabby, infected noses from coming into contact with the genitals during coprophagy.

Hutch burn (urine scald) is a bacterial infection due to urine of feces being in contact with the skin.

Pigeon breast is a deformity of the breast bone and is a disqualification.

Pam

My boyfriend...since falling in love with me...has fallen in love with the dutchies. He noted when I was posing them up that they look like a ''loaf''. We've since referred to them as''bunny loaves '' or ''loaf of bunny''.

I was in walmart one day...and coming out I pass the claw machine...and what do I see but a stuffed chocolate dutch bunny plush. And on the tag...the brand name...was 'SUGARLOAF''!! I think I wasted $3. Good job Jesse.

I've been told that my bunny maybe a Dutch or a lop? Which one can it be??

bunnay2.jpg

Lop rabbits will have ears that are not errect; they hang down the sides of the face.

Your rabbit could indeed be a dutch. It has interesting markings!

Your bun looks a lot like my harlequin dutch. Gotta love those harli's!!

he actuly could be a lop..humm a frind had baby lops and one of the lops ears just wouldent droop down...could possibley be a half lop half dutch!:?:)

Latest posts

Back