Dutch Critique

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
P7260008.jpg

This is Timmy, I know his stops are long and his undercut is wavy, to me he feels very nice in body, he was born March 24st, So I evaluated him and other than not needing another buck, I wanted to see what people here said, after my judgement on one rabbit that grew out odd, I figured I had better ask someone else's opinion.

P7260011.jpg

I know he's not posed correctly here, He was being un co-operative and trying to back out away from my hand. He does have nice balanced cheeks when I compared him to my others that do have nice cheeks.

P7260007.jpg

This is Donnie, I had mis sexed him as a 3 week old kit and thought it was a doe for a long time. Cheeks are unbalanced, the visiable one is high. Stops a bit long. I think he is actually sitting close to what he needs to be. Born March 21st.

P7260005.jpg

This is Donnie's top side. His undercut is actually gorgeous, his father is my homebred winner, and his mother has yet to be shown by me. As you can tell it was nail clipping time-hence how I figured out that Desiree was Donnie instead. :D Opps. Normally I check a few more times to make sure does are does and not late developing bucks but for some reason with Desiree/Donnie, I never did. Taught me a few lessons there.

Go ahead and be hard on them, I'm getting nervous now. I've contemplated finding a judge at the nextshow that will show me exactly how to type the dutch, I thought I had a good type method but I had one baby that I had figured was nice typed, but apparently wasn't-could be a senior versus junior thing, I sold the other baby as a junior and he failed for type as a senior.

Fronttoes should be even with the eyes and backtoes should be even with the knee.

The gray has a long head and a long body. He also has long ears. I can't comment on his type because he isn't set up properly.

The tort needs more fullness in the loins and looks undercut but that could be because he isn't posed properly. He also has low shoulders.

I would not get rid of the tort. He looks decent.

Sharon

P7260009.jpg

Okay another picture that I just uploaded of Timmy, it was taken same day, I just uploaded it online.

P7260003.jpg

another shot of Donnie, also just uploaded. I just uploaded a bunch of pictures of the horses and bunnies online(horses were for my blogger account)

Sharon, how do you teach your youngin's to sit properly? Just constant practice?

Dutch for Dummies = Can someone define stops and undercut and any other Dutchie terms for me?

Please?????

Stops are the white on their back feet. They should cover just the toes and stay short and even.

Undercut is the white band on the underside of their bellies that does go around. should also stay straight.

Saddle, the white band on the topside of the rabbit- yes different names for different sides of the rabbits.

Blaze,- the white on the face. the cheek color should stay balanced on both sides, and not drag down into the neck. the back of the neck should be clean, no color drags. The blaze tip should be thin and go all the way through, basically two color patches that go on either side of the buns head. Alot of the dutch i see their white doesn't go through their ears, but it's not completely bad if it doesn't.

The stops are the white markings on the back feet.

The undercut is the markings in the belly. It is an extention of the saddle.

The saddle is the marking on the back.

The blaze is the triangle shapedmarking on the head.

The cheeks are the circle markings on the sides of the face.

Sharon

Heather - Yes, constant practicing is what it takes. Also a lot of patience. As they grow older, they will calm down and will learn to sit properly on their own.

I love when judges don't pose them properly because my rabbits will fight them. They are like, "Stop touching me! This is how I am supposed to sit." LOL

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
Heather - Yes, constant practicing is what it takes. Also a lot of patience. As they grow older, they will calm down and will learn to sit properly on their own.

I love when judges don't pose them properly because my rabbits will fight them. They are like, "Stop touching me! This is how I am supposed to sit." LOL

Sharon

I loved that! I laughed soo hard. Timmy's doing a bit better, it's jsut so muggy he doesn't want to be handled too much. I waited to tattoo him until it was hot and muggy, they didn't fight me, just sat there and let me tattoo them.

P5310019.jpg

This is Lindsay, she's already had a double show under her belt(BOV and BOSV as a Junior)and missed the last couple of shows, once was for being bred, and the other because I missed it. This is why I wanted to keep Timmy, Lindsay is the same pairing of parents(Colby x Jules) but Lindsay's Jules' first litter, Timmy's the second litter. She's nice and I know two babies don't necessarily come out the same, Timmy seems to have Lindsay's likeness. Now for the posing of hte back feet, Lindsay did this naturally, I hadn't taught her to pose, the judge at the show sat her down and for some odd reason she's always kept that pose when I pull her out to sit for pictures. TO me her back feet look forward, but that's how the judge had her sitting. is it right? I've used her to teach the others, since the one judge had taught her, but I would rather teach them correctly. Sharon (other than I would love to get a nice steel dutch from you some day!) Can you show me a picture of how they are supposed to look when sitting? That would be wonderful!

So I've been continually working on Timmy, Donnie now lives in New York.

P8120003.jpg

He still has a bit to learn. he looks cow hocked . . .

P8120002.jpg

Opps, you can see my foot. . . sorry. anyway. I probably should have smoothed back down his fur. he leans when I pose him. Not sure why, suggestions?

P8120004.jpg

This one i just plum forgot to turn. Is there a way to turn it on here? I would love to know!

Again sorry the back-drops aren't the best, I'm still working on that end of the barn heavily.

Latest posts

Back