Dumb Question again....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Girl

Reaction score
Washington, DC, District Of Columbia, USA
Hello, I am a newbie, so excuse me for my dumb questions...

Now, I own a female bunny of 5 months. I am thinking of getting her a companion. :bunnyhug:

She had a brother when I bought her 2 days ago. If I get her brother, how long can I cage them together? They are both 5 months old. Will they start mating eventually, if I cage them together? Do rabbits know that they are siblings and not mate? :hug:

What if they happen to mate and have babies. Will the babies be ok?:bunny19:bunny18

They could be ready to breed at 5-6 months, and from what I understand it's not recommended to breed siblings.

They will not know their bro and sister. You can't put them together at 5 months, their old enough to breed now.

I would not breed bro and sister. I would say there could be a chance of problems if their related.

At 5 months, they are definately of breeding age. In rescue, we separate our litters at 8 weeks just to be safe. I would not get the brother unless you were prepared to immediately get them both altered and could keep them separate for a couple a weeks until they heal. Even then there is a chance they would not rebond.

Your best bet for getting a companion is, first, get your girl spayed. Altered rabbits bond easier. Then, contact local rescues and arrange for bunny dates. It's always best to let your rabbit choose their own bondmates.

I havebunnies thatarehalf brother and sister ( they have same daddy) but I seperated them at 4 months until they were fixed. Now their both fixed and I rebonded them recently. :)

Also, I adopted a Bro & sister thatare bonded. Their also fixed.

Latest posts

Back