Dry skin on Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foofy

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Does anyone know if it would be OK to put some sort of oil on my bunnies skin?

She has recently had 2 operations to remove a few lumps from her tummy.:(Although thefur is now growing back quite nicelyshe has some patchy bits where the fur is not very long yet. Havenoticed today that where there is not much fur she has lots of dryskin. My vet has seen it and flaked some of it off but there is quite alot of it now. I thought maybe some sort of oil, maybe baby oil orsunflower oil might help to moisturise it and if it would be safe forher? Anyone had this sort of problem before in their bunny?

Hi Foofy,

Dry skin can be a sign of mites. Is it flaky? Looks like dandruff?

At least three ivermectin pea-sized amount on the forepaws where theycan lick it off at 7 to 10 day intervals three times would help clearof any bugs. Be sure not to overdose. It's important tofinish the course of treatment even if the condition seems to havedisappeared. Although ivermectin isn't licensed for use in rabbits, ithas been widely used for a number of years without any reportedproblems. That said, you would want to check withyour vet to be sure it's okay to treat the little one with that sincehe just came off of an operation.

If it is dry skin, there is an oatmeal shampoo that is made forrabbits.Should you decide to go that route, thewater should be lukewarm and best not to get the rabbit's head wet atall. Youhave to be careful when bathing the littleone because theyare verysensitive when it comestohot/coldchanges. Although I don'tnormally say shampoo them, if the problem persists, it's an option.

Oil would be pretty messy.

-Carolyn

Carolyn

Thanks for the quick reply. It is definitely not mites or bugs,Crunchie did have mites a while ago and had some injections to clearthem up she has now had the all clear from them. I can now recognisethe signs! The dry flaky stuff is just skin I think. The dry bits arewhere they shaved off the most fur from her operations.

I do not want to give her a bath really to get rid of it as she stillhas some stitches in from her last operation about a week and a halfago. She is going to have her stitches taken out on Tuesday evening byone of the nurses at our vets. Maybe I will ask the nurse what the bestcourse of action is. Maybe it would be best to leave it alone until thefur grows completely back?

Sue

I'd call the vet's office and ask them whatthey'd advise, Foofy. I agree that with the stitches and whatshe's been through, you have to be delicate in how youproceed. Asking when she goes back in is a great idea.

Keep me posted on what they give her. Poor little thing has been through the ringer lately!

-Carolyn

From what I've seen on Public Television here inThe States, it looks like you have some pretty decent vets across thepond. I've watched several surgeries on rabbits...and othersmall animals...that were filmed in your part of theworld. Very interesting. I have nothing to suggestabout the dry skin except that it could be a natural part of thehealing process from the surgery? I've had a few of themmyself, and that seems to have been part of it for me.

Good luck!

- Dolores

Thanks Carolyn & Dolores

Maybe it is just part of the healing process! Her fur seems to begrowing back really quickly this time. Will let you know what they sayat the vets on Tuesday evening.

I am hoping & keeping my fingers crossed that this will be mylast trip to the vets for a while poor little Crunchie. She hasrecovered really well though, my vet gave her a really good going overlast week and at present she seems fine no more lumps thank god!

Sue

Latest posts

Back