Drusilla bit Onyx

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaE

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Yesterday Drusilla and Onyx had a little scuffle. They've had a couple since her spay, maybe three in the last three or four weeks--all pretty minor and short-lived, except for yesterday's, which seemed a little more aggravated. Last night, I noticed Onyx has a fairly substantial scratch--it looks like a bite? It doesn't seem to hurt him at all when I touch it, but I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it gets infected. What signs do I need to look out for? When should I take him to the vet?

I've taken photos this morning: one close-up, and one of the rest of his body for scale (he's a small Netherland dwarf, so the wound is maybe the size of my pinky nail, or a little larger). As you can see, there's also a big bald patch--she nipped him good.

IMG_20220805_095714.jpg

IMG_20220805_095727.jpg

I tried to check Drusilla for scratches, too, but her fur is much thicker than Onyx's, so it's very hard to feel/see through it. They both seem fine, and they don't seem too angry with each other, either. Drusilla scratched him before once, during bonding, on the forehead, but it wasn't bad at all and healed with no problem--basically just some missing fur, and definitely not a bite.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lola

A lot of the same signs of infection you look for in people. Redness, inflammation, 'angry' looking wound, warmth around it. Also, a lump under the surface(abscess), thick white pus, grainy hard substance over the wound(dried pus, may look grayish), showing signs of pain or irritation.

Thanks! Glad to have that input. It's looking okay, seems to be healing fine. They haven't had any more scuffles since.

On another note, Onyx also has a couple patches where his fur is either very thin or even bald (in particular, on the tops of his feet/toes, in the soft spot behind his ears/between his shoulders, and under his chin). For example, his chin, where I'm guessing his scent glands are, has a very large bald patch. Also, sometimes under his chin and around where his whiskers start, he gets some crusty, matted fur. Just wondering, does anyone else have any experience with this? He's had his teeth checked and he seems perfectly healthy, so it doesn't really seem to be anything too concerning, but is it anything to keep an eye on?

Sorry for the late reply--I have been moving house! Very excited about the bunnies' new home (as are they!). I will try to post a picture of their new abode sometime soon. :)

Last edited:
Oh, and I almost forgot, with regard to the bald/balding patches--he also has these two spots, one on each of his back heels, that look like they're thinning, and one even looks a little pink/red. He had one of these several months ago, and I was worried about him developing sore hocks, but then it disappeared quickly. Now he has it on both heels. Is there anything I can do to help stop his fur from thinning more on his feet, or prevent sore hocks? He's just such a shaggy boy...

Back