double jointed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Bub has been out to run lately, and he loves tostretch and stand and climb things. He'swell-muscled overallwithquite powerful hindquarters and has no problems sittingup like a prairie dog indefinitely with no support. Hehasbeen known to repeatedly scale fences like a cat.

I noticed yesterday and today that when he stands to his full height,legs stretched, his rear knee joint will sometimesflexslightly in the opposite direction. His legs appear straight and strongand he runs like the wind (binkies too). Is this double jointing acause for concern?

Hoping not!

Rose

As told to meBy One of My Doctors, being double joints isLigaments that are more flexablethan normal , all 9 of my fingers havethe double joint effect , ( 1 thumbtendon and ligaments were severed and nolonger work like that ) . The only problem I canforsee with Bub is artheritis at a young age, for some reason with loosesligaments artheritis isnt far behind. Withproper excercise you shouldbe able to avoid it for sometime to come .

a couple of my fingers are too, but I wondered about it with Bub for breeding. But it does seem really minor. Thanks!

Rose

I have never seen a rabbit like that but mydaughters dog has a conditon sonds like what you are describing and wewere told he should not be used for breeding its a hereditary defect.Ihope that is not the case.bluebird

Me too.:?Although from what I can seeit's not serious enough to warrant not breeding. He's young andgrowing, so it will probably "harden" later, like my fingers.

Rose

Back