Dormouse in the barn. Not good.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Reaction score
Oh well. That was just so adorable, gave the rabbits in the hutches their dinner when a dormouse climbed down from the roof, closer than 1 meter to me, tried several times to get on the food bucket, needed several attempts to get hold of an apple, finaly got it and climbed back up to the roof with it. Sooo cute. It knew I was there, looked at me several times. Really cute. And I don't think they do any harm, besides obviously stealing some apples.

My problem is, we have a massive overpopulation of mice this year, beyond good or evil. For more than 3 months now I catch between 3 and 8 each day, summed up that is about 10 kg at least. They spoil the hay for winter, and there are a lot of bank voles that pose a serious health threat (among other nasty things they spread the Hantavirus here). I took great care where to place the traps to avoid killing birds, snakes, shrews and everything that isn't a mouse or rat.

Now that I know that there is a dormouse, I'm not quite sure how to ensure it doesn't get into one of the traps :( . Maybe putting them into boxes with only mouse sized holes, I only caught one rat this year anyway, but, well, that dormouse showed some determination...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back