Don't know what to do?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357bunnylover

Reaction score
I recently rescued a young male unaltered bunny (Walter) from a woman who wasn't taking care if him. I always knew that my other neutered male bunny (Buckley) didn't like other male bunnies but I hoped he'd soon get used to the smell of a male bunny (not to live together but just another male around him). But it's been 3 weeks since I got Walter and since the day of getting him I haven't stroked or cuddled with Buckley once just because he wants to attack me every time I go near his hutch. I am going to get Walter neutered hopefully in February, do you know if this will lessen the smell he makes so Buckley will calm down a bit? It's horrible seeing Buckley mad all the time. Walter lives at the other end of the garden, about 20ft away from Buckley. I don't want to give Walter a new home, but if Walter being here is making Buckley like this I don't know what I should do? :(

I don't know either, but neutering Walter will make it easier to find a new home for him. And I would hope it would make Buckley more tolerant.

what is Buckley like when he's out of the hutch? (he IS getting 4-5h a day to run around, right?) it could just be that he's developed cage aggression...

Buckley's setup is a 5ft chicken coop attached to a 6ft run and he usually gets free roam everyday of half of the garden but he hasn't for about 3 weeks due to him trying to attack me when I let him out and trying to get him back in, so his enclosure isnt too small but do you think he could still get cage aggression? The only problem is, is if it is that, how am I supposed to get him out because he attacks me if I go near him and I don't want to be bitten!

I think I'll wait to February to get Walter neutered then see if things start to settle. My last resort would be to get him a new home as I don't want him being past around to different homes all the time :(

not letting him out when he was used to getting a lot of free roam time might make the hutch aggression worse.

a good way to deal with the aggression is to wear a pair of thick gloves when you have to handle him or do stuff in his hutch, that way his bites don't hurt you and you can work on teaching him that biting doesn't get him what he wants. when he bites, you can let out a squeal to let him know "that hurts" (even though it won't with the gloves on :p), but keep doing what you were doing.

Back