Don't know if Ben might have licked a whisky glass....help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
My boyfriends glass of jack Daniels was on the floor and had about two fingers in it. Ben was absolutely obsessed with it and I watched him closely but he ran straight up to it and stuck his nose over the top. Obviously I moved him immediately and put the glass on a shelf (we don't have a coffee table).
My question is, if Ben might have got a tiny bit on his cheeks or nose from the rim of the glass where it had been drunk from, or he managed to lick the rim of the glass, is it going to be seriously harmful? I know that rabbits can't tolerate alcohol (of course!) but would a possible small lick of the side of the glass be terribly harmful?
I'm almost 100% certain he didn't but now I'm really worried ill wake up tomorrow with a very ill benji and I am not sure ill be able to sleep tonight!

Anyone with any knowledge or experience of this can help at all?
Thank you!

I'm concerned but hoping I'm over reacting.

Jen

I don't think a lick would cause anything serious. Alcohol is made from grains so a rabbit might be attracted to the smell. I know you are upset so I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it gave me a little chuckle to read this, especially since it's Friday. It sounds like he just wanted a little cocktail after a long week!

Have to agree with Bville. Caused a chuckle out of me too. Rabbits digest and process really quickly. It'll pass out of his system within the next couple of hours. If he's easting, peeing, pooping normal no big deal. If I listed everything my one rabbit has been into you'd have a heart attack and call rabbit protective services on me!

My vet gave me a rule of thumb - anything that is safe for a human to eat/drink in large amounts, if a rabbit eats no more than a the size of a fingernail's worth, will not harm him.

Thanks everyone! Well benji is fine and being as cheeky as ever this morning so phew! And interesting about the rule of thumb thing- thank you! I think I think of rabbits as so unbelievably delicate, and I do treat him as so, but I guess they can be pretty hardy at times!
Hahahaha I can totally see the funny side now lol- he really was being so naughty last night and seriously obsessed with the whisky! At least I know now that any whisky or
Brandy or strong alcohol I don't like, keep Ben well away from!

Jen

Back