Dollar Store

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~BunBuns~

Reaction score
I went to the Dollar store yesterday.. There were alot of wood stuff like wood plates, wooden boxes wicker baskets and such.. I wanted to get them all... but i didnt know if it was treated or not. I checked the label and it said nothing about it.. They were very pretty, they weren glazed, or varnised. (Cheap wood) i wanted to double check here and see if it was ok or not, what do u guys think.

Here is a picture of what im talking about (much smaller tho)

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Well, willow is the only type of wood that is imported and not sprayed with pesticides when it is imported (as far as i have read). If the basket is made out of willow and it is not varnished (not at all shiny), then it should be ok, but if you do not know if it is willow, then I would stay away from it.

You can try Michael's (that art store) - they have cheap baskets that are willow that you can get. You can also look at Walmart - I have found untreated willow baskets there too.

I'd wash it with the hose first. But,in the end what a waste of money.He/she will just make a mess with it.The ones at the craft stores will cost at least $5 if not more. Just stick to toys that are ment for chewers.

Great toy! Rabbits love them. Good for wearing teeth down too :).

As long as it looks and smells natural (so not shiny, no odd smell, etc) it should be ok.

The bunny probably will destroy it, but hey if they enjoy it, it's not a waste of money. ;). My Pebbles will destroy a willow ball in less than a day, but I know she has a blast doing it so I don't mind spending the money for it.

I LOVE buying my girls baskets from Michael's. I don't mind paying the $3 the ones I normally buy cost...and the more mess, the better! They eat the majority of the baskets...and leave very little left, anyway...so I don't mind a whit!

Not to mention, the messier my girls' houses are, the happier they are! So, mess away, little cuties!! :D

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

miahsgirl wrote:
I'd wash it with the hose first. But,in the end what a waste of money.He/she will just make a mess with it.The ones at the craftstores will cost at least $5 if not more. Just stick to toys that are ment for chewers.
Washing it with a hose may ruin it, not to mention wood soaks in water and it can cause it to mildew. Washing it = bad idea.

Also, $5 isn't expensive, as most bunny toys run at LEAST that. But a nice large willow basket stuffed with hay will last my boys a while --and love it. :cool:

As Rosie said: Messy BunnyMansions= Happy Bunnies!

You let the thing dry in the sun.You dont wash it and put it in the closet to mildew. silly!It is always a good idea to wash new toys first.You would not stick it in your mouth unwashed. Would you?

All good! Your money! I would not spend that much on a one day toy. Thats just me tho. Your money.

You don't give your bunny(s) baskets to tear apart, miahsgirl? Do you give them peices of wood to chew apart? Those still make a huge mess.

$5 to see your bunnies happily shredding away and making a mess of the carpet is one of the best gifts.

The clean up is easy....pick up the bigger peices by hand and vaccuum up the rest:D.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

you can also get a bundle of raffia at the dollar store. and my bun loves it. i just braided a couple of small strands. and then used those strands to make a bigger braid and he drags it with him.

I agree with Amy, buns love shredding stuff!

My boys are so messy, but the dead bunny flops and binkys around the house tell me they are having a blast shredding stuff!

What I usually give them is the large willow baskets at Walmart ($1.88 and $4.88 for the large) and I also find some at the thrift store for as little as a dime. I also buy the willow balls from Walmart and they love tossing them around.

Another thing they get comes from the rescue I volunteer for. One of the girls has organic apple tree's and muskedine (sp?) vines and she dries them out for the buns. Harper has gotten them for 2 years and now all the boys (and girl!) get them and lovvveee to shred the bark, then chew the wood.

And also, I buy this 20 pack of wooden blocks from Petco for $3.99.It's the larger size for guinea pigs and bunnies, and they are so adorable and the buns love tossing them around, as does the guinea pig. Great for keeping those teeth trimmed too!

Another house favorite is old phone books. Wooooowheeee, what a mess! But the boy's absolutely LOVE their shreded phone books, LOL.

Miah, you oughta try these things with your bunnies. $5 isn't outrageous, heck that's cheap! Store bought toys cost me more thanthat, and my buns almost always pass those up for the willow baskets,cardboard boxes, and a good 'olphone book!

To answer the original question, BunBuns, that basket looks just fine and as Nadia said -- Willow is usually untreated and safe for the bunnies. Have fun watching the bunnies enjoy the basket!

You must have missed my intro.

No. I dont have any bunnies right now.I had one and I gave him (Sarah) to my mom's friend. She loves him.

But, when I did have him I bought the long lasting chew sticks.They lasted about a week.I'm just not into spending that much for a toy for a animal. Thats just me. It does not make me a bad pet owner. At the most it makes me cheap. The end.

I buy the small willow baskets from Walmart for $2 and it lasts my two buns (who share it) 2 weeks.

I'm going to walmart to get a HUGE willow basket today in the Easter section. I am hoping it is marked down to $4. It's even got a handle that I can hang hay from or something :D.

undergunfire wrote:
I buy the small willow baskets from Walmart for $2 and it lasts my two buns (who share it) 2 weeks.

I'm going to walmart to get a HUGE willow basket today in the Easter section. I am hoping it is marked down to $4. It's even got a handle that I can hang hay from or something:D.

Amy, you must get the same $2 ones as me! (Aren't they like $1.88 or $1.98? Something like that). They're nice size too for the price, I bought Chance one 2 weeks ago and it's still in tact! For the most part. ;)

Heck, I bet the huge $5-$6 one will last my boys well over a month or longer. I need to go to Walmart this week... maybe tomorrow? :D

Yes, they are $1.88. I just bought another new one today:).

The larger ones are $3 even at my store.

OHHHHH...and Walmart has ALL their Easter stuff marked down to 50% offof everything! I came home with a bunch of stuff from there that had the cute little pink easter bunny on it :D.

Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it! I went there at like 3:00 today and they just had a ton of candy and maybe half the easter decoration stuff. I wish they still had the huge wicker basket I wanted.

Hehe...are you planning ahead for something? Hehe....;)

undergunfire wrote:
I came home with a bunch of stuff from there that had the cute little pink easter bunny on it:D.

Rosie...if you mean planning for a cute little pink bunny room when Ryan and I move into our own place.....I think your right!

I also think if you are thinking, that I was thinking about all the pink bunny stuff was for a new future lionhead....I think your right!

Confused yet?:)

Actually those were both quite exactly what I meant, hehe!!

More planning for future bunnies, though, hehe!! :D

What, oh what will the boys say?? Hehe...

"Pink bunnies?? C'mon Mom..." hehe!!

The boys know their mommy is crazy and that this "pink bunny" thing is just a stage:D. hehe

Latest posts

Back