Dogs and buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have dogs and rabbits? How do they get along? We have four dogs, three of whom are pretty old now. Thor is a woolly-coated Siberian Husky, who's 11. Bandit is a Labrador mix, and she's 12. Mac is a shepherd mix and he's 8. Vanir is an Alaskan Malamute, and he'll be 2 tomorrow. All four of them are fascinated with the bunnies. They'll gather around the cage and watch them or try to interact with them, and the buns don't seem to fear them at all. In fact they will nose right up to the cage bars and sniff the dogs in return. *I'm* the nervous one. I don't allow the dogs in the room when the buns are loose. I'm not so worried about Bandit; she's as goofy as any Lab and her only concern is playing. The three males are my main concern. I know that both breeds of Arctic dogs have a high prey drive. My Malamute is fantastic with small dogs at the dog park, but I don't know how that would translate as far as bunnies go, and I'm unwilling to chance it. Thor is just old and ornery, but he likes to sit outside the cage and whine at the buns. Mac acts like Bandit does around the cage; it seems like he only wants to play.

That all being said, how does one go about introducing dogs and buns to each other without somebun getting hurt? The Arctics I will never take the chance with, but the Lab and Shepherd might be ok, but I don't want to try it without an idea of how others have done it.

Hi sibelabmom--I have three bunns and no dogs. I dont know where you live but the House Rabbit Society here in the States published many editions of the House Rabbit Handbook. In the last edition, I believe the fifth, there is an excellent chapter/article on an introduction of a high prey drive dog and a bunny. It is very detailed.

The mention of "high prey drive" to me raises a cautionary flag and waves it like crazy. You are being entirely reasonable yea prudent and responsible to respect your dogs for who they are and your bunnies likewise. To me, I would regard the "bonding" as training the dog to please me by rechanneling his nature, but not as a done deal that would exist without my very active and present supervision. I think that was the aim of the HRH chapter/article, but I cant really remember. It would be an awfully good place to start, though. I dont think it's available on the internet but the book is not expensive and is available. Try the HRS website. Good luck! Sounds like you have a wonderful household.

Thanks! I will look for the book...I know I looked at their website before adopting my two, and it stated that they absolutely would not adopt out to anyone with dogs, but I'd seen pics of dogs and buns together fairly often, though never an Arctic breed of dog, or any other with high prey drive. I don't even let my kids release the bunnies unless I'm there to supervise!!!

I have a basenji mix and a golden retriever. The basenji mix is true to his father's roots and is a very good ratter. He is very responsive to my commands especially after we went through some adult training classes at petsmart. Surprisingly he learned very early the rabbits were not prey. I never let him get to a high excited mental state around our rabbit's and when he goes up to them it's fairly gentle.

A thing that I did with my golden as she was a younger dog and definitely more excitable was have her do a down stay. I used treats and positively rewarded her when she stayed down if the rabbit came up to or near her. This definitely helped her stay calmer. I would never leave any dogs or even cat alone with a rabbit. My golden can be bad sometimes though as she likes to chase. This is when I end up making her down stay and then I put her up

That's the thing with Vanir; he's young and excitable. He's also extremely vocal, so when he goes up to the cage he's woo-wooing and grumbling and occasionally paws at the cage. He also licks them through the bars, which freaks me out a little--I don't know if he's showing affection or tasting!! Surprisingly, though, all his noise and licking doesn't frighten the rabbits at all. For about a week, Cinnamon was freaked out by him and would bolt for the hide-hole the second she laid eyes on any of the dogs, but now she's just curious and sniffs back.

That's the thing with Vanir; he's young and excitable. He's also extremely vocal, so when he goes up to the cage he's woo-wooing and grumbling and occasionally paws at the cage. He also licks them through the bars, which freaks me out a little--I don't know if he's showing affection or tasting!! Surprisingly, though, all his noise and licking doesn't frighten the rabbits at all. For about a week, Cinnamon was freaked out by him and would bolt for the hide-hole the second she laid eyes on any of the dogs, but now she's just curious and sniffs back.

I was raised to love and respect all animals but to never 100% trust a dog. In reading your posts and the way you describe the dogs behaviour, I have to ask, do you really want to take such a risk? Can't they live just as happily but separate?

That's why I said the Sibe and the Mal were on a "never gonna happen" thing. I thought the Lab and the Shepherd might be ok, but yes, they can live happily and separately.

We have a German Shepherd, and she is excellent with the rabbits. When they happen to escape from their cages, she watches them until we come to collect them. She doesn't chase them, just watches them.

My Pippi hadn't been around other animals, so I was nervous to have her around the dog. However, the dog loved her too, and even licked her head! Pippi missed her big friend when we went back home, but Dassy has come to visit, and Pippi loves it.

View attachment 1445521102181.jpg

No matter how well trained or trustworthy ANY breed if dog is, it is not woth the risk. Even if youre right there, you cant physically react in time if the dog suddenly decides thats lunch or im not listening or oo play time.
The behaviour youre describing is not safe behaviour. I woulnt even be letting those dogs interact through the cage.

We have 5 rabbits and two dogs--they never, ever meet. Our small dog is still a puppy(behavior) and weighs 167 pounds and his brother is 208. We just don't want to chance it, as it hurts quite a bit when one of them steps on my foot. Besides, a bunny would have no chance if they misbehave.

We also have chickens and cows on our farm, so Dassy is used to being around animals that aren't dogs. I really wouldn't suggest putting other dogs with smaller animals either, but Dassy was raised with Dachshunds, so she knows not to play rough with little guys, and she doesn't bother the rabbits, just watches them as I said. OK, and she sniffs them through their cages, but they sniff her back. She's an interesting dog, in that she definitely does not act like a dog.

View attachment 1445604326075.jpg

If the dogs aren't aggressive and your rabbits aren't afraid, you have nothing to worry about. I don't have any dogs (as my parents aren't animal lovers and rabbits were as close as I could get to a dog) but my rabbits are done around dogs. I take them places with me all the time, including animal parties with dogs they have never met before. They still get along fine and my rabbits are completely unafraid of animals much bigger than them. Since your dogs and rabbits seem to interact with each other often, they will get to know one another real fast, and then u really have nothing to worry about! Good luck!

If the dogs aren't aggressive and your rabbits aren't afraid, you have nothing to worry about. I don't have any dogs (as my parents aren't animal lovers and rabbits were as close as I could get to a dog) but my rabbits are done around dogs. I take them places with me all the time, including animal parties with dogs they have never met before. They still get along fine and my rabbits are completely unafraid of animals much bigger than them. Since your dogs and rabbits seem to interact with each other often, they will get to know one another real fast, and then u really have nothing to worry about! Good luck!
Please dont suggest this... ever. It is extremely dangerous thinking. Even the most trusted dog or cat can kill a rabbit in an instant. Just because the rabbits not afraid doesnt mean a thing.

Having read all these opinions, I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and keep the dogs away from the rabbits. Many thanks for the responses!

Please dont suggest this... ever. It is extremely dangerous thinking. Even the most trusted dog or cat can kill a rabbit in an instant. Just because the rabbits not afraid doesnt mean a thing.

Oh no I know. I wasn't finished typing what I was saying when the app crashed, and I wasn't able to fix it. With just that one comment I made, it really is HORRIBLE advice. I was going to go on to say that they still shouldn't play together for those reasons exactly and that it can be very dangerous if the dogs/cats are over interested or excited. I completely understand what u are saying, and I am fairly experienced in the animal field. By "as long as your rabbits aren't scared ect." I was going to go on to say that u wouldn't have to worry about them being stressed out about the dogs- not that they should play together. I hope this makes sense!

I've had three different dog breeds/mixes get along wonderfully with my free range rabbits. But that has only been after training. Not all dogs can be trained to get along with rabbits. Sometimes there is just too much genetic drive to overcome.

The very first step of that training involves teaching the dog to behave properly when bunny is still in his cage. If a dog cannot be trained to behave while bunny is in the cage, then it isn't going to work. A dog that is trainable can be taught to not paw at, whine, whimper, bark, or otherwise make any noise at the rabbit while it is in the cage. That scenario is test number one.

From how the OP describes a couple of their dogs, it doesn't sound like these dogs are trainable this way. If they could ever be trained to behave well in that situation, then, and only then, could it be possible to continue that training.

Latest posts

Back