dogs and bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clem_rosey_snuggle wrote:
. Ironically it seems the bigger the dog the better they getalong with rabbits..lol.

Lorretta
really? its completely opposite here...max is my smallest dogand he loves the bunny...the two big dogs want to eat her... of courseone is a basset hound who was breed to hunt rabbits so he'll never bewith her, and the other is a shepherd/samoyed...hes actually killed myrabbits before, but not becausewe let them out together...helearned how to open theyre cage while we were gone...he let them allout... he got three of them... at night we would go outside with aflashlight and they would all hop back to us... there werefour out of seven left:(

My sweet dog, Casey has been allowed to meet thebuns and play a couple of times. He was very gentle with themand just followed them around.

Callie, my crazy dog, is another story. She will NEVER beallowed near the rabbits. She's completely insane!She attacks the barbeque grill! She sees the bunnies throughthe window and drools. I'm sure she'd like to have them fordinner.

Laura

I have two Labs who are the sweetest mushes inthe entire world and they have been introduced to the rabbits. The mostthey did was lick poor Freddy to death b/c of course Freddy had to beup in their faces. Vicky wanted nothing to do with them.

The dogs were very well behaved in my presence,, but at the end of theday they are hunting dogs and normally go right after any small mammalthey see in the backyard.

I wouldnt doubt for a second if I left them alone and the rabbitstarted running that, that internal insinct in the dogs would click onto chase and get the rabbit.

I do believe the consensus here is that it is okay as long as there isproper supervision. and even then, animals are animals and areunpredictable.

i dont think my other dogs will ever be allowedto be with peapoo...accept seeing each other through the glass, theywill probably be kept away from each other.... these pic wastoday..peapoo isnt a bit afraid of any dog, not even our basset, mookie

peapoo_bunny wrote:
there were four out of seven left:(
That is so sad! I'd be having dog stew...

What a nice dog max is!

angieluvwrote:
My dogs are a little afraid of my rabbits as they sense thatI am watching them carefully and they know that they will be in BIGtrouble if they ever did anything.
I think my dog was the sameway. She used to act fearful of my bunnies. Now they are all used toeachother. I did hear her do the snap-growl thing once though. I am notsure what happened, but they were outside my office when I heard my dogLittle Lady growl. It is the sound she makes when a male dog is toopersistent in sniffing her behind... I am guessing Theodore came upbehind her and she didn't like him hanging out back there. When Iopened the door, Little Lady was laying down and Theodore was about 6feet away in that frozen "what was that" stance.

I don't think she would hurt him, but I never leave them together inthe house alone, and if they are unsupervised while I am in the office,I am always pretty aware of sounds in the living room.

Usually, they pay no attention to eachother. Once I looked down stairsand Little Lady was laying at the bottom of the stairs with Theodoresprawled out about 2 feet back... Theodore's such a copycat.

My dog always barks like mad if he gets aglimpse of my bun playing in the backyard. So I don't thinkIwill be introducing them.

AmberNBuns wrote:
peapoo_bunny wrote:
therewere four out of seven left:(
That is so sad! I'd be having dog stew...

What a nice dog max is!

oh...mom wouldnt let that happen....butch is a sweetheart,but because he has shepherd in him and a littlewolf he was just to rough and....well you know.. he's also very smart ,we had no clue he would figure out how to open the door... he was apuppy then though...now he's 11yrs old... he's calmed down now, butstill he will never be with peapoo..he acts friendly around her anddoesnt bark or anything, but i will never trust him after what happenedto the other rabbits

I don't blame you... better to err on the side of caution.

I wouldn't eat the dog, but that reminds me of a story from my husband- they had a dog that decided to kill one of their chickens one day. Sothey tied the dead chicken to the dog's neck and left it there forquite a while. The dog didn't chase any more chickens after that.

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to use that same method with a bunny, but I thought the story was relevant.

I am glad you shared that story about letting the bunny and dogoutside. I had been thinking of fixing up out back yard, and now Iwon't have to risk learning that lesson the hard way.

the locks we had on the cage doors were not goodenough...one was a latch and hook and the other was a bentnail that you had to twist...dont use those if you have nosey dogs outthere! he easily found out how to open them! we're goin to put peapoooutside in those cages this summer....but the locks will be changed! ireally would hurt him if he killed peapoo!:mad:

max on the other hand really loves peapoo. and when peapoo isoutside he will chase the hawks and buzzards around... we have hugefields next to our house...anytime one flies by (since peapoos beengoin outside) he chases it around even though he cant reach it.... heruns into stuff sometimes because he's looking up and not looking wherehe's going... guess he either just doesnt like them, or doesnt wantthem to eat his little friend

I have a Cocker Spaniel that LOVES my ninebunnies. He loves licking their ears, and they LOVE havinghis big giant tounge licking their ears. I'm sure it feelsreally great! He actually saved one of their lives when shewas a baby bunny. She had somehow gotten out of the bunnyenclosure when she was just days old and had wiggled her way across theroom and under the sofa. My dog, Andy, was going crazy andkept coming to me and crying. I finally followed him and heshowed me the baby that was behind the sofa. She would havedied there had it not been for him. The first thing he doesin the morning is run downstairs and touch his nose to the bunniesnoses. He thinks they are HIS bunnies. Oh, by theway, my kitten gets along with them too.

Sharon in California

This is Rex,sunning nose-to-nose with my Dalmatian, Dr. Pepper. Both of them aresound asleep, and you'll note tousled spot on Rex's forehead - that'sdog spit, Pepper loved to groom the little guy :)

RexandPepper.jpg

We don't have the dog anymore, and Peanut has now taken a large chunkof Rex's heart ;), but that bunny and dog really did love eachother.

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

well actually we dont really know that butchkilled them...we've never seen him kill them...we just assumed that hedid since he was outside and he hunts rats...i guess it could have beenthe neighbors dogs..he's very friendly with peapoo and even though wedont know for sure that he was the one that killed them, im not takingthat chance with peapoo...i think she's fine just having max for afriend

Back