Dog with Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurabeth

Reaction score
This is just a question I was thinking about.

Our bunny Buddy was kind of a spur of the moment thing :)
We saw her and then had to go back for her because she was so adorable.

Before we got Buddy we were thinking of getting a dog.
BUT we since we already have Buddy now, and she has free run of the house, we wouldn't want to cage her just because we want a dog. So we pretty much have come to terms with that we aren't going to be having a dog.

Is it possible that they get along? Are any breeds ok with them? I was just wondering. I don't think it would be fair to get a dog if it means caging buddy to make way for the new guy. And I wouldn't want to endanger her at all.

not that we'll be getting one (2 birds and a bunny is enough to clean up after ha ha) BUT It was just something I was thinking about for the future.

Thanks!!!!!

I did this... and although I love both my dogs, I feel badly for Lego (and Jacub at the time). So now I'm making amends. I'm making sure to take Lego outside for playtime and let her explore outside her room too. I am not letting the dogs be with her as Geddy wants to chase the cat already and I don't want to stress Lego out either.

As for your situation, I would think that if you adopted an older dog, who is already good with cats you might have no issues. But you'd want a calm dog who doesn't chase. And you'd want to see how your bunny reacted to the dog before you adopt... some bunnies are more hi-strung than others.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it would depend on the dog and bunny in question.

Best of luck!!!

MagnoliaDee wrote:
I did this... and although I love both my dogs, I feel badly for Lego (and Jacub at the time). So now I'm making amends. I'm making sure to take Lego outside for playtime and let her explore outside her room too. I am not letting the dogs be with her as Geddy wants to chase the cat already and I don't want to stress Lego out either.

As for your situation, I would think that if you adopted an older dog, who is already good with cats you might have no issues. But you'd want a calm dog who doesn't chase. And you'd want to see how your bunny reacted to the dog before you adopt... some bunnies are more hi-strung than others.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it would depend on the dog and bunny in question.

Best of luck!!!
I was thinking of adopting a dog before.
Oh, because if you get them from the shelter then you can figure out their temperament first. SO FAR, Buddy isn't too skidish, she gets along with my hyper 3 year old nephew, she actually likes being harrassed by him (she goes up to him for more, runs away, then runs back to him).

:)

Well that's a good start! I think if she's showing bravery already, then she might just do o'kay with a dog. Just make sure to let her meet him/her so you'll see how she feels. Bunnies are surprisingly brave sometimes!

MagnoliaDee wrote:
Well that's a good start! I think if she's showing bravery already, then she might just do o'kay with a dog. Just make sure to let her meet him/her so you'll see how she feels. Bunnies are surprisingly brave sometimes!

well that's one vote for the hopefulness of having a dog in the future:)

Oh, I think it's definitely a hope. There are lots of dogs that love other animals. My black lab (that lives at my parents house, unfortunately) loves cats and other animals.

When I was there for the weekend, he was MOST interested in Jake and would sniff around him and want to be close to him.

It definitely helps that the bunny is young, so either finding another young(ish) puppy, or a dog that has been proven to get along with cats or other animals shouldn't be too hard!

I have two dogs, a rat terrier and a pointer, and they get along just fine with the rabbits. When we brought home our first rabbit, our rat terrier, thought we got him a new toy. After a couple of warnings and careful supervision he ignores them and they just hop around him. If the rabbits jump on the couch he jumps off, of course having flemish giants that are almost asbig as he is might have something to do with it.;)

Dogs and rabbits get along just fine, but it does depend on the dogs temperment too. Just takes some careful supervision.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I have two dogs, a rat terrier and a pointer, and they get along just fine with the rabbits. When we brought home our first rabbit, our rat terrier, thought we got him a new toy. After a couple of warnings and careful supervision he ignores them and they just hop around him. If the rabbits jump on the couch he jumps off, of course having flemish giants that are almost asbig as he is might have something to do with it.;)

Dogs and rabbits get along just fine, but it does depend on the dogs temperment too. Just takes some careful supervision.
When you're not home do they all have their own rooms?
So they all have free run of the house?

I saw some where I think that pointers are good with small animals (I might be remembering wrong though).

I also don't want to have to constantly be baby sitting them haha :) But I want them to have free reign, I'm fine with having to confine them to their own areas when I'm not home. We live in an older house that has french doors everywhere so that's fine.

I have heard several good stories. I haven't tried it--we can't have dogs where I live. My bunnies have met my bf's parents' dogs through a gate, but those dogs are very excitable and might hurt them just because they were excited to meet them. We had a member whose bunny was bonded to her small dog--a maltese I think? Another person whose dog and bunny get along well is ElfMommy's Kirby (boxer? pittie?) and Poe (bunny). You can check out Poe's blog to see some pics of them interacting.

tonyshuman wrote:
I have heard several good stories. I haven't tried it--we can't have dogs where I live. My bunnies have met my bf's parents' dogs through a gate, but those dogs are very excitable and might hurt them just because they were excited to meet them. We had a member whose bunny was bonded to her small dog--a maltese I think? Another person whose dog and bunny get along well is ElfMommy's Kirby (boxer? pittie?) and Poe (bunny). You can check out Poe's blog to see some pics of them interacting.
THANKS!

laurabeth wrote:
Wabbitdad12 wrote:

When you're not home do they all have their own rooms? Yes
So they all have free run of the house?The dogs do, but when the buns are out the dogs don't bother them. The buns don't, well one does because he has really good litter habits.

I saw some where I think that pointers are good with small animals (I might be remembering wrong though).

I also don't want to have to constantly be baby sitting them haha :) But I want them to have free reign, I'm fine with having to confine them to their own areas when I'm not home. We live in an older house that has french doors everywhere so that's fine.

yeah, that's the thing, buddy has free run all the time (really good at the litter pan).
I could put one in the kitchen and one in the living room when I'm not home, but wouldn't cage buddy.

so i don't know.

THANKS

I saw an episode of The Dog Whisperer the other day where a woman had a dog but wanted to get 2 rabbits from a rescue. Cesar used a clever invention involving part of a stuffed rabbit on top of a remote control car to teach the dog that the rabbit toy was dominant. When she brought home the rabbits the dog needed pretty minimal correction.

As always it was amazing to see his results.

My aussie girl wants to play with my rabbit and would end up being too rough.
My golden, however, is absolutely perfect with the rabbit. She completely ignores him, even when he hops on her... couldn't ask for a better relationship between those two.

I honestly don't think there would be any problem as long as you picked the dog carefully. Perhaps choosing a gundog would be a better choice than one with a prey drive such as sighthounds, terriers or herding breeds.

Obviously as I mentioned that he climbs on the dogs, Merlin is not afraid. He has been around dogs since he was born. Unfortunately he once escaped and Willow (aussie) chased him, but even after that he still approaches her all the time.

Pekoe wrote:
My aussie girl wants to play with my rabbit and would end up being too rough.
My golden, however, is absolutely perfect with the rabbit. She completely ignores him, even when he hops on her... couldn't ask for a better relationship between those two.

I honestly don't think there would be any problem as long as you picked the dog carefully. Perhaps choosing a gundog would be a better choice than one with a prey drive such as sighthounds, terriers or herding breeds.

Obviously as I mentioned that he climbs on the dogs, Merlin is not afraid. He has been around dogs since he was born. Unfortunately he once escaped and Willow (aussie) chased him, but even after that he still approaches her all the time.
oh great i'm glad to hear the goldens get a long! i love those!
and i love labs too... i heard labs are good becasue they have a very soft mouth or bite or soemthing like that

Goldens have a soft mouth as well (that's why they and labs are used for bird hunting)... but as with any dog that instinct has to be taught. Goldens and labs are "oral" dogs, so they stick everything in their mouth lol. I have two goldens, they are fantastic... but the female has a high urge to chase, whereas Sawyer is much more relaxed. It all just depends on the dog's personality really.

MagnoliaDee wrote:
Goldens have a soft mouth as well (that's why they and labs are used for bird hunting)... but as with any dog that instinct has to be taught. Goldens and labs are "oral" dogs, so they stick everything in their mouth lol. I have two goldens, they are fantastic... but the female has a high urge to chase, whereas Sawyer is much more relaxed. It all just depends on the dog's personality really.

THANKS so much everyone i'm learning so much from this conversation.

So what i gather is.
pretty much, adopting a dog would be the best bet that way we know the dog first.
and i just have to look and look till i find the perfect one.
I don't want to get into the situation where i have to animals that don't get a long and in danger buddy.

A dog that doesn't like to chew or chase is prob a good thing ... haha and those are most dogs

THANKS SO MUCH i appreciate all the opinions!

Back