Dog urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
Hrmm not sure how the phrase it nicely, but, I have 3 dogs in my garden that go to the toilet as dogs do, on the grass. :?

Now obviously we remove the solids, but would the grass be dangerous toa rabbit if he ate it and it was a bit where a dog had urinated onpreviously?

I know pippin loves grass as when I had him out the garden to run abouthe kept stopping to eata mouthful and I had to keep scootinghim along coz I was worried if it was 'dirty'.

So 2 questions really..

If a rabbit was loose on the grass on a nice day (with the dogsinside!) and munching around on the grass would he be indanger of illness if he ate 'contaminated' grass?

Or if I picked grass, washed it and left to dry before feeding in the enclosure, would that be safe?

This is a GREAT question that I would like to know an answer to also :).

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

I don't know the answer, but maybe you could penoff a small part of your garden to stop the dogs getting in. you couldthen wash that part of the grass, i.e. by shooting water at it, andknow that you had cleaned it, etc.

To be honest, I can't imagine I would want to eat anything covered in dog wee, so would my rabbits?

That is true, Flashy. Maybe I will just put aNIC panel pen off the grass in a different shaded area so my buns cango outside today while I clean their NIC cage.

I wish the US had decent hutches to buy.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Hi flashy I did try to do that, assign a patchof grass where they could graze, but 2 of my dogs being males, tend towee against things rather than in an open area, and thepenwas a good spot for them to mark their territory, so it had theopposite effect lol

Maybe I could try a quick hosing in an area and then when it is dry let them out..

Still id like to know 'what if' they ate the grass in case they wandered off.

Our dog does his business, in acertain area of the lawn, but our rabbits don't spendmuch time there. So I am notworriedabout them will eating soiledgrass.

Hint: We don't have yellow spots from dog pee,because we have a mixture of water and Tums(calcium) that we pour over a spot where thedog peed on.Wedissolve 4-5 Tumsina 2.5 litre (4 Tums in 1/2gal) bottle and soak it over the pee.

Rainbows! :)

omg.. today a dog urinated on my lawn wherebunbuns was eating.. i was so pissed off, but i couldnt just push thedog. Now im gonna wait until it rains before bunbuns get out to eatgrass. i luve dogs but now on my lawn.. if i were you id wait for therain or hose it down.

I just went outside.. there was some dew on thegrass so i guess its safe to feed bunbuns grass again.. i guess the peewashed off.

Back