Dog(s) in my Rabbitry Overnight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody was fine this morning...:clapping: but nobody kindled... :( It's not unusual for the Giants to go 32-33 days... :foreheadsmack: So I'll keep my fingers crossed (and my toes, arms, legs, eyes... whatever!) that everything goes OK. :pray: The girls look wonderful... no problems, everyone is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing (only you guys would understand that!).

Sigh.... :waiting:Maternity Wardwaiting...

No, I didn't see the dogs, just their foot prints... (LOL, they knocked down some show reports and walked over them, leaving very distinct "finger prints".) That plus the fact that they disconnected the water system and made mud puddles all over the place, leaving deep impressions there too.

My husband re-did the door and the locking system. You should see the size of the dead bolt he put across the doors! It's about 24 inches long! LOL! I have trouble getting in there now...

My kids should be safe now. I just worry about the stress on them. (I moved a few out of lower cages, they seem to be happier now.)

IfI did catch the dogs, I'd take them down to the local pound and turn them in. Around here, it's between $50 and $150 to get your dog out of the pound, a fine for letting him run loose. (Higher fines if the dog isn't neutered or spayed.) I don't think I could shoot them...

Oh, I'm so sorry you lsot more of your fur kids.... I hope you are able to identify/catch the dog/s responsible for this. Good luck on the litters being born alive and well!

Ohhh ok.

We have a cat that "lifes" around my rabbitry and it is a stray cat and our neighboors have mice eww gross lol so I guess I'm happy that the cat is there so it won't go into the barn but still the mice can't go into the barn anyway. lol But one time I seen the cat right by the door I ran and I turned the water on and I sprayed the cat with water I was like haha you stupid cat. I swear if that cat ever comes into my barn I told my mom that I'll kill that cat if it kills any of my good rabbits. lol :D

naturestee wrote:
OMG! That's awful! And poor little Clyde.:sad:

I forget- are you in town or in the country? Can neighbors see your house from theirs? Maybe somebody noticed a dog running loose and could give you some info.

:hug:

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your questions, We are in a town (suburb?) on 1/2 an acre. We live on a corner, so anyone going by can see into my yard. I've asked a few neighbors, but no one saw or heard anything.

I'm just going to have to be more careful and alert. It's not going to happen again.

gentle giants wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
I'm sorry.

In our local news last night, a farmer shot tworoaming dogs.
The dog owners were complaining that thetwo golden retriever had got loose and the familywere out looking for them. The farmer had every right to shoot the dogs that were at large, but the family disagrees.

About the quote-I totally agree that dog owners should not let their dogs roam, but I do disagree with people shooting them on sight. Even the most responsible owners can sometimes slip and leave a gate open or something, and that doens't mean that the dogs are always going to hunt down and kill someone else's pet, just because they got loose.

Dogs that harass livestock are very costly to ones livelyhood. Stress on livestock, the death of, or vet care for livestock can be horribly expensive and can ruin a herd in no time at all.

Here, as in most areas, you can shoot a dog that runs or harasses your livestock when the dogs are on your property.

I don't know the OP's situation, but if their rabbits are a source of income the damage that could have been done could have been debilitating. Destruction of property, loss of stock and possible bloodlines, necessary vetting, having to rebuild stock... it all adds up.

Most people weigh in the consequenses of shooting dogs that harass livestock but not all do. All the way around, it is an unfortunant circumstance.

Leaf wrote:
gentle giants wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
I'm sorry.

In our local news last night, a farmer shot tworoaming dogs.
The dog owners were complaining that thetwo golden retriever had got loose and the familywere out looking for them. The farmer had every right to shoot the dogs that were at large, but the family disagrees.

About the quote-I totally agree that dog owners should not let their dogs roam, but I do disagree with people shooting them on sight. Even the most responsible owners can sometimes slip and leave a gate open or something, and that doens't mean that the dogs are always going to hunt down and kill someone else's pet, just because they got loose.

Dogs that harass livestock are very costly to ones livelyhood. Stress on livestock, the death of, or vet care for livestock can be horribly expensive and can ruin a herd in no time at all.

Here, as in most areas, you can shoot a dog that runs or harasses your livestock when the dogs are on your property.

I don't know the OP's situation, but if their rabbits are a source of income the damage that could have been done could have been debilitating. Destruction of property, loss of stock and possible bloodlines, necessary vetting, having to rebuild stock... it all adds up.

Most people weigh in the consequenses of shooting dogs that harass livestock but not all do. All the way around, it is an unfortunant circumstance.
I can understand about shooting a dog that is actually harrasing your livestock, or has a history of doing so to yours or someone else's, but I do not agree with shooting any dog on sight. I can think of several cases where a stray has turned up on either my property or a friends, and has turned out to be a wonderful pet. One beagle my family took in adored my rabbits, especially the babies. She would try to nurse them, and chased the cats away from them.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with your rabbits. I hate it when people let their dogs roam free. I love dogs and I raise collies so nothing agaisnt dogs but I'm sick of some of our neighbors that let their dogs loose 24 7. They are so sure that their dogs never leave their property.... but they do. Not only do they terrorize livestock they could get hit by a vehicle, shot or attacked by local wildlife. It's so irresponsible and very illegal here.

My dogs I don't think would ever kill any animal but you never know, they are a preditory animal. So far they have been nothing but playful with every animal they've met but it is in their genes to eat other animals. I'm not sure why people can't get that through their heads.

There was a dog that killed a bunch of my chickens and one of my ducks a few years ago. Well it broke the neck of the duck and I found it well it was still alive. I raised them from babies and I was so mad that people would just let their dogs run free. The dog totally destroyed the fence and attacked in full daylight.

We ended up catching the dog a couple days later. I live in the country and it was a stray female. I wanted to keep her. She was very sweet.... just hungry I think. She had one blue eye. She also had a huge absess on her rear leg. It looked so painful.

At the time I was heading off to college so there was no way I could keep her so she went to a "no kill" shelter. The animal control officer said she was young and that she would most likely be adopted cause she was very sweet and loyal.

I'm really sorry bout your losses. I hope you can figure out who's dogs these are so that their owners can be forced to take better care of their animals and so they can reimburse you for your losses. I know it doesn't make it better but...... you should get something for all of this.

I hope the litters turn out to be well. I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping that this is the end of your predator problems.

Latest posts

Back