Dog Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Question again. Due to certain circumstances, my sister is needing a sense of security and protection. My father has been considering getting a dog. What kind of dog would you suggest? I know a lot has to do with personality and it'd be getting trained by professionals. I was more wondering about the actual health of the animal. Like are certain breeds more prone to certain issues etc....

I suggested a black german shepherd. I find them gorgeous and well they are good guard dogs etc.

This may help http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com/guardian-dogs.html

My personal favorites are shepards and doberman. Years ago we had a female doberman named Zora, huge and intimidating but very loyal and sweet to us. She did develop hypothyroidism when she got older.It's a treatable disease.We got her when her owners no longer wanted her and surrendered her to our vet for euthanasia. He offered to find her a good home instead and they agreed.

Many of the guard dogs have issues with joint problems and hip dysplasia.Training is an absolute must.

A lot of Sheppard's have hip and elbow displasia. You have be very careful.Certain linesare also prone to epilepsy. They are very loyal and smart. Dobies are great protective dogs. So are Rottweilers. Pitt bulls can be wonderful dogs, if you know where they have been and how they have been treated. They are incredibly loyal and intelligent.

If you want something a touch "softer", a Standard Poodle is very intelligent and easy to train, and they can be very intimidating. (Oh yeah, and they don't shed!)

Rottweilers all the way. There's a reason why so many gang members keep them
(Mind you, the beat the snot out of their dogs, so that accounts for the vicious reputation.) Still, I'd think twice about messing about with someone with a trained rottie.

A rottie that has been trained and treated well is a fantastic pal: tough, loyal dog. My neighbours have one, and I've babysat him regularly without incident.

BTW, avoid purebreds like the plague. Hip dysplasia, and every other flaw you could think of...

(EDIT)
I saw that the dog will be trained by pros. From my experience with dogs so far, your family members really should be heavily invovled with the training. I have a dominant husky-mix at my family home, and the only person he respects is my father. If the owner is not "top dog", the dog will not respond correctly (disastrous in a security crisis).
The dog's personal mandate should be the protection of his family, but he can't dominate the household.

I would say Rottweiler. They look intimidating and scary but make loyal pets and guard dogs. They don't need to be specially trained as a guard/protection dog. There is a lot if instinct for them to protect.
I would be cautious about training any dog to bite. These dog are a liability in todays society as they could bite when you don't want them too. It is best train the dog to be a good pet and the dog will protect you because it is loyal and wants to.
When looking for a dog of any breed, go for a good breeder. Both parents need to be screened for generic problems. They should have the hip and elbows x-rayed, heart and eyes checked and any other problems associated with the breed checked. The pups should not leave the mother and litter until at least 8 weeks. No breed is free of problems, but if the right precautions are taken, the risk can be lowered.

I don't know much about dogs, but i'd say you'd want to go for something that is aesthetically intimidating. I think a very big dog, something stereotypically associated with being 'aggresive' what probably be best. That is if she is looking for a dog to prevent something bad happening rather than actual protection, although i'm sure those dogs got their stereotypical reputations for a reason.

Good luck!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Thanks everyone. I was looking at the prices of training the dog and I knew it was expensive but I was pretty shocked. Lol. I don't think my father will go for that and he is worried about not training such a dog because he is quite inexperienced with them :)If they do though, it'll most likely be a rottie or a german shepherd.

If you're not looking for a trained killer (just an overprotective pup), maybe obedience classes would be enough?

Mind you, my dog failed two courses in a row. Seeing as how most huskies are 50% obedient, I thought that was fitting.

I stumbled over this while I was reading your q the other day. Here's the Link:

http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

It helps you assess which breed is best for your needs!

Your Sister also has to keep in mind; how much room does she have to let a large dog run (Rotties need a lot of physical exercise - room to really run); also how much time does she to spend with the dog? Getting a dog as an "employee" is not kind to the animal. Your sister will need to be "trained" on how to be the leader - especially when considering large dogs - you must be able to control your dog and there are tricks to this - small Women can control Large dogs.

Rotties are great dogs - but purebred will have health issues so find a mix - they really are the sweetest dogs in the world, very smart, very protective and intimiadating.

Hope all works out well

My family loves animals. It would be a family pet but it would need to be trained to defend her. My father wants it trained to attack on command due to circumstances. Obviously, she would need to be involved with the training. Bah they were looking into it. I'm not exactly too keen on certain aspects but anyway... Just gathering some info for them right now. :)Thankies everyone :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back