Dog eating droppings YUCK!.......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dog eats my rabbits droppings, dirty litter,and food. he's not supposed to eat anything but his food cuz he hadblatter stones, and i stop him as soon as i see him...but i havent seenany problems with him...whats distemper?

I wouldn't be worried as long as your bunnies donot go outside. That is the only way they could pick up parasites likeworms which is the only thing they can pass on to your dog. My dogsalso eat it and it is so nice to not have to pick up after the buns!

Fergi

dreamgal042 wrote:
my dog eats my rabbits droppings, dirty litter, and food.he's not supposed to eat anything but his food cuz he had blatterstones, and i stop him as soon as i see him...but i havent seen anyproblems with him...whats distemper?
FromtheAnimalhealthchannel.com
hdr_canine_distemper.gif

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Canine distemper is acontagious, incurable, often fatal, multisystemic viral disease thataffects the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and central nervous systems.Distemper is caused by the canine distemper virus (CDV).
Incidence
Canine distemper occurs worldwide, and once was the leading cause ofdeath in unvaccinated puppies. Widespreadvaccinationprograms have dramatically reduced its incidence.
CDV occurs among domestic dogs and many other carnivores, includingraccoons, skunks, and foxes. CDV is fairly common in wildlife. Thedevelopment of a vaccine in the early 1960s led to a dramatic reductionin the number of infected domestic dogs. It tends to occur now only assporadic outbreaks.
Young puppies between 3 and 6 months old are most susceptible toinfection and disease and are more likely to die than infected adults.Nonimmunized older dogs are also highly susceptible to infectionand disease. Nonimmunized dogs that have contact with othernonimmunized dogs or with wild carnivores have a greater risk ofdeveloping canine distemper.
Transmission
Infected dogs shed the virus through bodily secretions and excretions,especially respiratory secretions. The primary mode oftransmission is airborne viral particles that dogs breathein. Dogs in recovery may continue to shed the virus for several weeksafter symptoms disappear, but they no longer shed the virus once theyare fully recovered.
It is possible for humans to contract an asymptomatic (subclinical) CDVinfection. Anyone who’s been immunized against measles (a relatedvirus) is protected against CDV as well.
Symptoms
Macrophages (cells that ingest foreign disease-carrying organisms, likeviruses and bacteria) carry the inhaled virus to nearby lymph nodeswhere it begins replicating (reproducing). It spreads rapidlythrough the lymphatic tissue and infects all the lymphoid organs within2 to 5 days. By days six to nine, the virus spreads to the blood(viremia). It then spreads to the surface epithelium (cell lining) ofthe respiratory, gastrointestinal, urogenital, and central nervoussystems, where it begins doing the damage that causes the symptoms.
Early symptoms include fever, loss of appetite, and mild eyeinflammation that may only last a day or two. Symptoms become moreserious and noticeable as the disease progresses.
The initial symptom is fever (103ºF to 106ºF), whichusually peaks 3 to 6 days after infection. The fever often goesunnoticed and may peak again a few days later. Dogs may experience eyeand nose discharge, depression, and anorexia. After the fever, symptomsvary considerably, depending on the strain of the virus and the dog’simmunity.
Many dogs experience gastrointestinal and respiratory symptoms, such as:
  • Conjunctivitis (discharge from the eye)
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever (usually present but unnoticed)
  • Pneumonia (cough, labored breathing)
  • Rhinitis (runny nose)
  • Vomiting
These symptoms are often exacerbated by secondarybacterial infections. Dogs almost always develop encephalomyelitis (aninflammation of the brain and spinal cord), the symptoms of which arevariable and progressive. Most dogs that die from distemper, die fromneurological complications such as the following:
  • Ataxia (muscle incoordination)
  • Depression
  • Hyperesthesia (increased sensitivity to sensory stimuli, such as pain or touch)
  • Myoclonus (muscle twitching or spasm), which can become disabling
  • Paralysis
  • Paresis (partial or incomplete paralysis)
  • Progressive deterioration of mental abilities
  • Progressive deterioration of motor skills
  • Seizures that can affect any part of the body (One type of seizurethat affects the head, and is unique to distemper is sometimes referredto as a “chewing gum fit” because the dog appears to be chewing gum.)
Many dogs experience symptoms of the eye:
  • Inflammation of the eye (either keratoconjunctivitis,inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva, or chorioretinitis,inflammation of the choroid and retina)
  • Lesions on the retina (the innermost layer of the eye)
  • Optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve which leadsto blindness)
Two relatively minor conditions that often becomechronic, even in dogs that recover are:
  • Enamel hypoplasia (unenameled teeth that erode quickly in puppieswhose permanent teeth haven’t erupted yet - the virus kills all thecells that make teeth enamel)
  • Hyperkeratosis (hardening of the foot pads and nose)
Inutero infection of fetuses is rare, but can happen. This canlead to spontaneous abortion, persistent infection in newborn puppies,or the birth of normal looking puppies that rapidly develop symptomsand die within 4 to 6 weeks.
[/font]

My dog Hershey eats it too, but then again sheeats all sorts of things...rabbit poop, mice, gophers, bugs, cat poop.donkey poop, and probably other things I just really don't want to knowabout.

I got a bottle of dewormer from the vet when my dog Shylo had herlitter. I deworm the dogs and cats every few months, sincethey do eat weird stuff, and their vaccinations are up todate. And it is cheaper to buy the dewormer and give ityourself, than have the vet do it for you. We also do all theshots, except for rabies, which, by law, needs to be administered by avet.

Pamnock....I was wondering if it would be okay to give the buns thedewormer, since they are outside and play in the run, I have no idea ifother animals have defecated in the area where there run is, and I knowsome stuff can last forever...my dogs don't actually use the yard, theygo in the hay....I don't have to worry about picking up their droppingsat least.

Rabbits should be de-wormed regularly.Pinworms are very common, however, rabbits can also become infestedwith other types of worms, especially if allowed outdoors wheredogs/cats have defacated.

Piperazine and Ivomec are common de-wormers used for rabbits, howevermany other types can be used. You can consult with your veton the proper de-wormer to use for your rabbit. I use 1 oz.of Piperazine per gallon of water in our auto-water system.

Pam

Our dog did the same when we first gothim. But the rabbits are upstairs now so he can't getanywhere near them. Disgusting thing he is! :D

Was just wondering... should I deworm Henry and Max? They'rehouse rabbits and don't go outside very often (they've only been out afew times in the summer) so do they need it?

Latest posts

Back