dog doors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaticRex

Reaction score
i'm planning on going to visit my parents soon and they have 2 dogs and a fair sized dog door. the dogs and bunny won't be mixing right away just so that Dante don't get a heart attack (dogs don't bother with small animals), but eventually the rabbit will end up having run of my parents house, and i'm curious if rabbits will bother trying to push through the dog door or if i should just close it.

as well, i was thinking of an outdoor hutch for when i do get my own place. i was thinking of making a HUGE outdoor hutch and having a dog door going to the outdoor penn. i've already got everything drawn up lol, it'll be a 5 floor hutch made of wood and NIC cubes nailed/stapled to the frame and metal ties and compleatly predator proof.

i'm thinking of sinking one floor under ground so it will be cooler cause we had a few days where it was boiling up here, and AC is prolly not going to happen in my house if the boyfriend gets his way lol (only going to be used in the summer since winter practically freezes me just going to the mail box). any thoughts on that?

I think a lot would depend on the type of door. I think the more solid flaps or the ones that are magnetic would be difficult for a rabbit to use. The ones for large, giant and even medium sized dogs might be too heavy for most rabbits.
A rubber, flexible cat flap would probably be ok. You would have to teach him how to use it, but I don't see why a rabbit would not be able to learn.

teach him how to use it lol, i remember trying to fit through my dog's door trying to show him its safe, that was no problem, but a small cat flap trying to get me through that would be funny lol

I buns use a dog door at my friends house he has a huge rabbit run going inside and at when they stay over there they use it no problem. Jessi saw the cat go through it more for all her small critters. And followed of course Storm was like where are you goin they love going back and fourth through it.

So yes it is possible

We had a peice of plastic that worked as a dog door for flurry :) and the pen sounds cool but make sure that the rabbit can't dig out from the bottom floor (that could be a problem)

yea i agree. i was actually thinking of making an attachment on the house if i can and make that the rabbit room that will go outside. it would have a sliding glass door to go into the room and a door going to the outside. for the outside run i was thinking to prep it, i'd dig down about a foot, lay down some sort of barrier (concrete or some sort of plastic) that would go up about a half foot above ground, then have a picket fence sort of set up. a backyard in my backyard lol. i don't know what i would do for the top though. the fence would go right into the ground though so it can't be lifted or anything. and i want it to go at least up to my shoulders. Dante jumps to my waist no problem >.

Back