Does your bun like to be handled?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
A lot of people have told me that buns don't really like being held, which is totally foreign to me.Luckily, my Katmai loves to be held and cuddled! Plus, my bun isn't neutered, which makes it more odd.He's such a momma's boy and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe it's because I've had him since he was a baby, i don't know. But I love my cuddly bunny! :hug:

You've got a sweetheart for sure!
Kirby does not like being off of the ground. She will put her front paws up on me and stand like that but never get all the way up. She doesn't enjoy it when I pick her up but she is relatively calm about it. I don't do it much because I know it makes her uncomfortable and I don't have a reason to unless I need to get her into her carrier, really. She will sit still on my lap if I put her there.

Actually.. my new job at a natural pet food store has professional portraits of the employees with their pets on the wall and I am getting mine done with Kirby tomorrow. I have 4 rats too but I don't think I can juggle all of them for a picture--haha! I'm not sure how things will go with Kirby but hopefully it won't be too hard to keep her still.

Both Korr and Penelope will tolerate being held, but neither one really likes it. Lillian like to be held, but not for too long. She is more of a cuddle me for a minute, then let me explore. She also comes up to the pen for pets as you go by, no matter how many times you go by, she expects you to pay attention to her.

My Willoughby will tolerate a pat only when he feels like it! He detests being picked up and will scratch and move his legs so quick that you cant see them anymore.. its super dangerous because he has jumped before so we dont pick him up unless im sitting on the ground and move him to my lap.

Daphne doesnt seem to like it too much but doesn't fight you, so you can give her a quick cuddle and pat. But she doesn't like much human contact and will avoid everyone and she doesn't want to be patted.

Lucky you!

Lily is still a bit skittish since she was abused and neglected when she was young. She will let me pet her if there is food involved, she will put her front paws on my leg, and I am currently training her to hop into my lap. We've been working on it and now she will hop up to grab the food and then hop off immediately. We're working on it. I can occasionally pick her up but she does not care for it. Although her foster mother used to pick her up and cuddle with her so it is very likely that I'm just not pushing her enough.

Cinnamon tollerates being picked up but definitely doesn't enjoy it. Romeo my new rescue boy hates being picked up and if he knows it's necessary will try to avoid it. Both enjoy pats, skirtches and will flop down near me/against me on the floor though so they're very affectionate, just of the firm belief bunnies aren't meant to fly. ;-)

i would have to say,most my rabbits,including my baby cottontail do-not care to be picked up,,,and when it is necessary to handle,,i have to ensure a pick one up with both hands-supporting the chest and the bum area--because a rabbits hind legs are strong enough-when squirming around to break the spine--no one i know of can pay that kind of dvm bill,,generally they are pts...sincerely james waller

i would have to say,most my rabbits,including my baby cottontail do-not care to be picked up,,,and when it is necessary to handle,,i have to ensure a pick one up with both hands-supporting the chest and the bum area--because a rabbits hind legs are strong enough-when squirming around to break the spine--no one i know of can pay that kind of dvm bill,,generally they are pts...sincerely james waller

:grumpy: I'm jealous. Bayou loves attention but he does not love being off the ground. He throws the biggest hissy fits, even if I just lift him up to sit on my lap while I'm still on the floor. I try to explain to him: "You've only been living in my room for almost 2 years, I'm not trying to kill you!" This is usually met with a thump and pouting for about 10 minutes.:p

Watch the video A really really tamed black rabbit. It was a free one from Craigslist and I don't know his history other than he's unaltered. He loved being handled. Runs circles around me, hops up on me, loves being held. It may be sexual because several times his penis was extended.

Pepper loves to be held she loves all the cuddles I and my hubby gives.

If she wants more she comes on the sofa to say. hey I'm here cuddle me please.:happyrabbit:

My bun does not like being picked up - at all. However, if he's on the floor he loves kisses, hugs, and general cuddling. He'll let me touch him all over while he's on the floor, but if I pick him up he gets pretty upset. I'm willing to live with a cuddle bunny that requires me to lay on the floor, but I do wish he'd jump up on the couch for cuddles sometimes.

Gypsy is quite independent and doesn't like being held at all. Scamp (wild bun) is quite happy being picked up and will settle in my arms - I think he likes the higher view point. He'll jump on your lap too to see what you are up too and settle down on my feet for strokes. He does have times when he's much too busy though and will jump down or run off to play.

My one bun Baxter! puts up with being picked up and held (get some tooth purrs, maybe tooth knashing - not sure) he LOVES to be full on cuddled as long as its on the floor, couch or bed. New bun Babs also tolerates being picked up and hugged but she's new and would prefer the "drive by" nose rub.

Buns at the shelter I volunteer at are either of one or two camps; some melt in your arm (you can hold them like babies upside down and they just love it - my shelter shifts get longer and longer as I feel so bad for those that love to be held and have daily fantasies of taking them home) and the others that just HATE to be held for the 10 seconds it takes to move them from cage to Xpen and or reversed (but 100% of those love a good cuddle once in either respective place)..

You sound very fortunate - enjoy it!

all 3 of mine have different 'interests' in being handled:

toulouse doesn't even like to be look at, let alone, handled. we hardly ever touch him, cuddle him, and almost NEVER pick him up. he prefers to get love and attention in different ways, like getting a treat, or nudging your leg before running away in binkies.

winnie handles being picked up well, she doesn't like it, but if i need to handle her for something will let me pick her up without to much issues.

chaucer on the other hand loves to be handled. he LOVES to be picked up and cuddled and kissed, and loved on. he is so relax with me that i can easily with one hand hold him above my head and he just sits there looking down at me with love in his eyes. i don't think he would do that for anyone else, but i know he lets others hold him without issues.

our house rule is to not bug the rabbits unless they want to be bothered. this is their house to, and so they get the same respect that anyone living here would

I was looking through old posts and stuff,and found this post. I just had to reply, because I have two extremities of buns.

My female, Solara, HATES being held (though I'm trying to get her used to it, because she's still young, and could grow to like it eventually and hopefully) but she'll lick me vigorously whenever :)

My male, Sabriel LOVES being held. He just sits in my arms, and puts his head under my chin. He'll also cuddle with me when I'm lying in bed, and randomly tooth purr because he loves it. I just adopted him the other day too :)

My Choppy loves to be picked up wherever he is. He comes bounding over the end of his house when he knows it's play time and lifts his front paws slighthly off the floor so I can scoop him up.

He is such a big soft lump. He lets me hold him like a baby and the other day we were twirling round the living room dancing to the Sleeping Beauty the other day.

If he doesn't feel like he's getting enough attention when he is out for his runs then he jumps onto the sofa then jumps onto my lap and pushes his head under my hand and moves his head up and down so it's like I'm scratching him without even having to move.

He really is the biggest bundle of love ever :inlove:

A rabbit that doesn't like to be handled doesn't stay here. :pGenerally a rabbit who reacts horribly to being handled will NOT stay around long. With himmies, it's really a step backwards, when you get one that hates it. Generally though- You work past that. I don't care if one rabbit doesn't like the health check because I'm too 'handsy' LOL, because it's going to be done, and he's GOING to get used to it. Persistence is key, and eventually, it'll pay off. My English Spot came to me not used to being handled much. He still throws a fit when I check his teeth, nails, and vent. Hates it. So much. Now he's pretty much desentisized to it and loves his snuggles. All it takes is work- if your rabbit doesn't like it, make them get used to it. :)

Then again, this is the general attitude of a Himalayan in most cases:

Awwwwz.jpg

Back