Does this look like a NZ/Cali mix?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryant

Reaction score
20140909_202458.jpg

20140909_202646.jpg

20140909_202522.jpg

A New Zealand / Cal mix should not be agouti colored, at least I don't think so. Looks more like a Flemish Giant / ? mix. NZ come in black, broken, red and white (with white being the most popular) and Cals are white. The NZ/Cal mixes I've seen were white.

A New Zealand / Cal mix should not be agouti colored, at least I don't think so. Looks more like a Flemish Giant / ? mix. NZ come in black, broken, red and white (with white being the most popular) and Cals are white. The NZ/Cal mixes I've seen were white.

That's what i thought myself. But all of his offspring (22 from 3 separate litters) are white, black etc. With only a few other colors.

What would the potential outcome be if it was a black NZ and other mix? Would that have the potential for this color combination? Are there any studies on color genetics?

That's what i thought myself. But all of his offspring (22 from 3 separate litters) are white, black etc. With only a few other colors.

What would the potential outcome be if it was a black NZ and other mix? Would that have the potential for this color combination? Are there any studies on color genetics?

I'm not a genetics guru, but I don't think he's a NZ/Cal mix. He might be a Flemish Giant/ NZ mix and the NZ wasn't white. Flemish are meat rabbits at least.

Right. I'm fine with him being mixed, I'll just pass him pour over time. I'm just trying to figure out what he is with reasonable certainty for my records.

I don't know if you plan to sell any of your rabbits for meat pens, but if so, using purebred parents of the same breed would be best. Uniformity among the offspring is very important when judging them and using mixed breeds makes that much more difficult.

Actually that is an eventual goal of mine, so thank you for that tidbit

I do know that some people when breeding New Zealand whites would get a gold tipped black steel. The whites are considered albino rabbits and hide all other colors in their background. The rabbit you pictured above is a chinchilla colored rabbit. I don't know how those play into the new Zealand's though. You might want to try googling things like meat rabbit color genetics and seeing if you can find something

Well i see the giant in him now that I've looked it up. The people who were selling their stock whom i bought him from had said he was a Cali/NZ mix. I wanted to give them a little credit. Now u see what that gets me.

Latest posts

Back