Does this look like a healthy fuzzy lop molt? Please respond

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeddyTruly

Reaction score
I shaved my rabbits belly and sides around a month ago, and it seems like he has stated molting as well. But the molt doesn't exactly seem healthy. He has been eating normal, pellets and hay. He also seems kind of skinny, although he is a small breed, and that may be just because I have not seen him without his bushy fur. The fur on his sides and butt feels good, but on his back it feels kind of crusty, and flimsy, almost like the mane of a horse. I looked it up and apperently it could be a sign of malnourishment, but he's been eating well. I have given him a little extra letucce (romaine) as a treat latley to try and bond, maybe he's eating too much of that? I am going to cut back on the lettuce but any advice would be hugely appreciated, I want my little guy to be the healthy poof he was a few months ago
1646677346060.png
him now ^
1646677614008.png
before
I am wondering if its just normal molting or somehting worse?

When it comes to concerns of overall fur texture, I think in terms of your entire rabbit's body fur as opposed to a local region (that can significantly vary from "normal" due to a molt very naturally). If in general your rabbit's coat appears healthy, any smaller regions of variation are likely a natural process of molting cycling in new fur.

The molt does not look unusual. That being said, paired with concerns of your rabbit being skinny, you can always have your rabbit actually physically examined by a rabbit-savvy vet since pictures/brief descriptions cannot be used to diagnose rabbit problems with validity.

Please enjoy my Wick's molt:

Thank you. I will call the vet later tonight to see if a check up is necessary. I am a bit on the fence about him being skinny though, as I do not really know what to compare it with, and the fact that he was covered in fur before. His fur, espeically on his shoulders and head feel perefrctly fine and healthy, although the ones on his butt, the fringers around the shedding feel a bit dry, it may be from urine though
Your rabbit is super cute!

Do you happen to know of any way to know for sure if a rabbit is underweight? I can feel his spine, but it is padded almost by a layer of fat. The things I have googled have been like "If your rabbit is skinny and often looks for food, he is maybe undeweight". I tried to weigh him on my friends scale but he kept hopping away, and it averaged from .3 to 4 pounds (when I had my hand on it. His is a fuzzy lop, almost fully grown, so he should be between 3-5 pounds.

If anyone's worried, Teddy is doing great! His molt is coming in, he has been pooping exceptionally well, eating hay, and aside from a few cectropes has been in great shape. As for him being skinny I weighed him, he was a good weight for a rabbit his breed (fuzzy lop so a wee bit smaller than normal rabbits). I think I am just paranoid because I have been used to him being under all that floof!

Back