Does this happen to or bother anyone else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll chime in...

I come from a family that grew up eating animals on the farm. In fact, my great grandmother used to raise rabbits for meat and sell it and my grandfather did the same when I was younger. To my grandfather, a rabbit is food. Why? That's how he was raised. Thankfully, he understands that my rabbit is my pet and not to be confused with food.

However, this does not stop the constant stupid jokes from everyone in my family. Between my brother calling her dinner(I heard someone say this above me in this thread lol), feeling her and saying how meaty she is, to the countless other threats, I know they are just trying to get me annoyed, but it doesnt work anymore.

I dont judge people who eat rabbit, or for any animal for that matter. All i can tell you is that for me, there is a major difference between the meat you buy in the store and a cute animal that you raised from a baby, caring for it every step of the way.

With that being said, if anyone even got near my rabbit with any intention of doing anything to harm her, there would be hell to pay.

Kate, OMG, tell me about it! I don't want to hear about how the bunny died a tragic death. Really, I'd rather they didn't say a thing! :(

Sadly, that and the "eat the bunny" jokesseem to bepart and parcel tohaving a rabbit. :rollseyes

I've found, whenever anybody says anything about eating Gus, if I make a few outrageous statements back (I usually tell them he's our "emergency kit" and that "it's more acceptable to eat the pet bunny, than the pet dog")that usually shuts them up. :p

Anyway, have a sense of humour, throw afew comebacks at them, anddon't get upset. They'll let it go eventually. ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

I hate people who make those type of comments to, I like the line

I heard Rabbits make good stew "Really, mine doesn't cook a darn thing".

When are you going to eat your rabbit? "When you eat your cat/dog/rat/fish etc. I dare your to go first"

But, if someone was really getting on my nerves and were close to me, I would seriously ask them to stop doing it because it upsets me. The benefit of being an adult with adult friends is that they stop the unwanted behaviour when they find out it upsets, sometimes being upfront and serious is the best course of action.

Very true, however she and I have had that conversation before. I saw her recently though and she apologized and seemed truly embarrassed about it. Sooo that's a plus.

On Amazon, when you enter "pet supplies, rabbit food" it includes canned dog & cat food made of rabbit meat. I asked them to change this, twice, but they ignored me. Maybe if a number of other people did the same thing, there would be some results.

On Amazon, when you enter "pet supplies, rabbit food" it includes canned dog & cat food made of rabbit meat. I asked them to change this, twice, but they ignored me. Maybe if a number of other people did the same thing, there would be some results.

Probably going to get crap for saying this (Mean while remember, I'm not against meat just the torture in factory Farms!) but what makes a rabbit different then a cow, chicken, pig, or anything else you eat? They all feel, have emotions, are affectionate, are smart, and many crave human attention.

I also know many people who eat meat that make jokes about eating cows (my favorite animal), pigs, chickens and all of that... which bothers me a lot. I don't care that you do it but I don't really care for those jokes.

Our meat animals are killed in such horrific manners, it's revolting outr "civilized" race would do such a thing. It kind of erks me when people complain about others eating other animals when them themselves do the same, like in India they would eat a dog and worship a cow.

I never really had such things said about my bunnies though. The girl who owned them before me once said that her dad told her if she didn't want them anymore he'd take them... and eat them... but he was serious....

galinfla wrote:
Eh, I get a ton of rat jokes from people who like snakes or who just don't like rodents.

AND THIS!!! I CAN'T STAND IT!!! Most snake owners I have met made fun of my love for rats, and made jokes about their snakes eating my rats. It's funny that they do this... when in a game of wits my rats can out match a almost brain dead snake (no offense to snake owners, but I haven't met a lot of smart snakes).

I did however turn a snake lover into a rat lover. *Is proud* Lol. He used to make those kinds of jokes till one day he decided to try out having a rat... now he has four rats. I also don't hear those kind of jokes from him anymore, he even told me he feels bad now when he feeds his snakes. :wink

RoscoTheRat wrote:
Our meat animals are killed in such horrific manners, it's revolting outr "civilized" race would do such a thing. It kind of erks me when people complain about others eating other animals when them themselves do the same, like in India they would eat a dog and worship a cow.

Actually I don't think it's India that they eat dog. Most Indians I know don't eat meat because of their religion.

But yes I agree that I would like to see meat animals not treated in such a manner. I don't have a problem with people eating meat (tho most could go with a lot smaller portions).

I get these comments all the time. It's usually the first thing someone says when they find out I have pet rabbits. I don't live in a rural area, so I'm thinking people say it because they're not sure how else to react to a pet rabbit. For many people, it's kind of an odd animal to keep in your home.

I have one rabbit who was rescued from a meat farm and he is very, very big (a Flemish giant). I have a close friend who jokes about eating him. It used to upset me, but that's just how this guy jokes and I'm okay with it since we're close.

It bothers me more when the comments are from people I don't know that well. I would NEVER go up to someone and joke about hurting/eating their child. But it would be different if it was a close friend. It gets annoying, but I've heard it so much now that I simply answer "No, they're part of my family, just like your dog/cat/child." That usually ends the "meat" talk. :)

RoscoTheRat wrote:
Probably going to get crap for saying this (Mean while remember, I'm not against meat just the torture in factory Farms!) but what makes a rabbit different then a cow, chicken, pig, or anything else you eat? They all feel, have emotions, are affectionate, are smart, and many crave human attention.

I think the problem for most people is that when a joke is made about their pet rabbit.
It would be like if you had a pet deer. If someone said "I enjoy hunting", you wouldn't be too upset. But if they said "I would enjoy shooting your deer and mounting it's head on my wall", you would probably be :shock:

Latest posts

Back