Does this happen to or bother anyone else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't really gotten it, other than a friend who doesn't really see them as pets but food. He wasn't making a joke, just a statement. Which is fair, since that's why people tamed them in the first place. Haha tho I did turn around and mention that some cultures eat dog and cat *shrugs*. Not going to judge what someone eats, even if I would never eat them myself.

I'm not a big meat eater to begin with. Fish cannot have the scales on it at all. It creeps me out and I used to work at a fish pet store.

I do, however, get the "Oh stop being so loud, Emily" jokes since I am a quiet person. Which I didn't think was funny the first time and is just as stupid the 100th time. Whomever does that gets a dirty look and a snarky remark about how unoriginal that was. I'm pretty good with dirty looks haha.

I personally like "The last time I heard that I fell off my dinosaur."

And agreed, though I'm not a quiet person by nature, I can also say a great deal with just a look. Have to catch myself sometimes, or I might say too much without saying anything at all!

I get this a lot from Art's closest friend here - but the thing is- I'm 51 now....and I've learned over the years that folks are gonna say what they're gonna say and I can knock myself out getting upset - or ignore it.

To me - comments like this fall into the "don't sweat the small stuff" category - there are so many other more important things for me to care about.

In the case of Art's friend - I understand that it is probably one of the few ways he can "connect" with me since we don't have the same interests and he's just a tease anyway.

But there was the time when we had an open house at our new house for Art's fellow shop workers....I knew Dale would be there (Art's friend) and that some of the guys would crack jokes...

So I posted this on the front door...

bunniesMay2005045.jpg

It was posted right above the welcome sign so they wouldn't miss it...

bunniesMay2005044.jpg

(The front gate had a sign that said, "Beware the Killer Rabbit" on it).

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Yep get it all the time. We have one friend who is down right aggressive about it. We rescued Fraggles as a baby from a meat farm when she was just five weeks. We have this one friend who always asks when he can eat her or when he can make "stew". When we tell him not in this universe he gets MAD! Telling us "rabbits are not pets,there food". Last time he visited Jason kicked him out cause he kept shooing Fraggles away with his foot and he yelled at her that he was "going to snap her little neck". He then said that "she should have been left at the meat farm were she belongs". That was the last straw and now he is not welcome. A lot of people make jokes but he is down right hostal about it......:sigh:
I can take jokes - but NO ONE messes with my rabbits - no one. I agree with you - that person would not be in my house ever again....

It used to bug me back when I was against eating my OWN rabbits for meat - I had no problems with others who bred for it, etc. I think people on BOTH sides get upset about comments like "Oh he'd make a good stew!" and also "You can't eat rabbits, they're pets, not food!" etc.etc.You have to just realize that it's someone else's opinion and not bash it or judge them.

MagPie - I get jokes like that all the time too. Lately it's been "Emily ran me over with her truck!" (My name is also Emily) Story is that my truck was in neutral, on, no emergency brake and basically came to life smashing someone against a house. I was NOT in the vehicle, nor was anyone else. I finally went off the chain when I heard the guy who got smashed say this to yet another person. I looked at him and said "I was NOT in the truck! No one WAS. I don't know WHY you keep saying I ran you over, it's NOT true." I was VERY ticked. And I am quiet - I don't often express my feelings or stand up for myself, but lately I've been doing a lot of it.

Emily

haha Emily, yeah I don't get many of those "jokes" anymore. Thankfully. They were just kind of dumb to begin with. But your story reminds me of my family haha. They never let you live anything down. Those I just roll my eyes at and never let them live anything down either *grins*. Yes we quiet people need to stand up for ourselves!

Oh, I get these jokes all the time. I hate it personally. My grandparents said they were gunna eat my rabbits the day before I was gunna leave them with my babies while my parents, friend, and I went on vacation Up North. I almost cried. But they didn't eat them obviously. I'd never talk to anyone who harmed my rabbits on purpose or anyone who took a joke too far. I also get the jokes where they say they're gunna let my rabbits go. I just wanna scream at the people who do those jokes. I hate it because to me, it's NOT a joke, it's just cruel D;

Eh, I get a ton of rat jokes from people who like snakes or who just don't like rodents. People generally don't mean anything malicious when they say these things. Everybody has a different kind of humor, and they probably think they're being very witty.

I actually had my father-in-law go over to the bunny hutch, take out one of our bunnies, andask if we had a pot around to cook him in. This didn't happen just once, but several times. I finally became so disgusted that when we visited them a few weeks later, I picked up their poodle and said the same thing. Trust me, it got my point across.

It doesn't bother me, I would name one of our bunnies Stew if my husband's name wasn't Stuart and we call him Stu (well the kids call him Dad).

It bothers me when I am very obviously representing a rabbit rescue at a rescue event. Why would you say anything like that to a rescue person that you don't even know? It just gets old after a while. Some friends do make comments, but I blow those off and glare at them.

slavetoabunny wrote:
It bothers me when I am very obviously representing a rabbit rescue at a rescue event. Why would you say anything like that to a rescue person that you don't even know? It just gets old after a while. Some friends do make comments, but I blow those off and glare at them.

What you do is use a friendly tone and say, "Publix has rabbit meat quite a bit cheaper, and it doesn't require all of the work and gore... or are you specifically wanting to kill and eat a pet?"

wabbitwebel4 wrote:
I actually had my father-in-law go over to the bunny hutch, take out one of our bunnies, andask if we had a pot around to cook him in. This didn't happen just once, but several times. I finally became so disgusted that when we visited them a few weeks later, I picked up their poodle and said the same thing. Trust me, it got my point across.
I love it!

I get this every single time I say I have a rabbit.

"Oh those taste good", "I've eaten that before" or "I had rabbit stew once"...

I never understand how that is appropriate, but it literally happens every time. I just try and ignore it, but I do find it innappropriate.

I don't usually have much issue... Most people realize the rabbits are clearly pets. Of course the older males in my family make comments but its always a joke, though not overly funny ever. I usually just roll my eyes and everyone moves on.

It's amazing that so many people get these stupid jokes! I regularly get my dad's friends joking about "rabbit stew." And my rabbits are 2 pound Holland Lops. I usually say "These wouldn't give you much meat..." OR "Yeah heard that one about a hundred times before."
They are just joking around so I don't get offended but I do change the topic.
I don't think they want to offend you, they just think they are funny...unfortunately!

Latest posts

Back