does the 'quick' of a bunny nail grow into it??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiced77

Reaction score
We're a little lax about clipping nails around here :( and we got Mr Licks to trim his nails tonight, and to me it seemed that there was a lot more pink to the nail than last time..I was fairly sure that the last time we did a trim,I cut quite a bit more off the nail and they weren't as long as they are now. This makes me a little more afraid to cut princess' since her nails are black and we can't see the quick. Anyone have the experience of the quick looking like it's grown?

How often do you all do nail trimmings??

Yes, I believe the quick does grow with the nail. I would suggest clipping a little bit every few days. This should "work the quick back" or so I was told:? We have the same problem with Rex, and he has those black nails, so I've been doing it a little bit at a time. They're not as short as Peanut's yet but they are improving :).

Yes, it does. I know I've read that you should trim it a bit, wait a week or so and trim it again, and keep doing this until you have the nail back where it should be when trimmed. As you trim the quick will recede after a few days.

Infact, I think I need to do that for maybe 1 week session with Bo. We let his go the time before last and I couldn't trim his nails as much this last time. He's got dark nails anyhow,plus he's such a turd for trimmings...... it's just so much fun! :X

It's a good thing he's so cute! If he weren't I might not put up with him! ;););)

I wouldn't trim into the quick as this is very painful, it will bleed a lot and bunny will not be looking forward to the next trim :( As the rabbit ages, the quick will grow and extend farther into the nail. Same with trimming the teeth --the nerves will extend farther down the tooth as the rabbit ages.

Pam

Slightly off subject but I've taken to shining atorch under those black nails and you can then see more clearly wherethe nail leaves the skin.

i would never clip into the quick pam! i thoughtfrom the other posts that if i clipped more frequently, it would justreceed on it's own.. but you're saying it's justwhat happens as they age?

Correct -- the nails becomes much thicker and thequick larger. I have a bad headache today and am having adifficult time reading the posts and processing the info in myhead-- sorry for my misunderstanding :)

Pam

LOL! I see how you could've read what I posted as that way.....

No, don't trim into the quick! :shock:

I hadn't heard of the age factor, but I had seen something somewhereabout having let them go a bit long and that happens too...... if Ifind the article I will post it.

So basically, we all have to deal with this issue at some point..... greattttttttttttt..... :p

RebeccaUK wrote:
Slightly off subject but I've taken to shining a torch underthose black nails and you can then see more clearly where the nailleaves the skin.
That should work, but I find it easier to do in direct sunlight because with the "torch" I needed an extra hand. In direct sunlight I find the quick gives the nail a "redder " hue where it passes through. I suspect it is the light passing through the blood, as opposed to not passing through the more opague and dense part of the nail that has no quick. It is a subtle difference, but I do often see it and rarely make a mistake when I do "see" it.

If I can not see the difference in opacity, I will try to cut the blacknail where it begins to "hook" or "curl." Granted, that is a subjective and imprecise measurement, nevertheless it seems to work onmost occasions.

Both those concepts become easier with experience, yet I still will make mistakes upon occasion and cut too closely. For that reason, I always have styptic powder, a Q-Tip, and water on hand to dampen the Q-Tip whenever I do nails.

Yesterday, I did 60ea nails, with two bleeders. Bleeding was minor and easily staunched with dampened Q-Tip dipped into styptic powder and applied to tip of nail. While, I doubt it is pleasant for the buns, no one "screams" and as fast as it happens, it is over. No bunny seems to hold it against me and all seem to enjoy their post manicure massage and grooming. *chuckle*

I try to do it monthly in conjunction with a weigh-in and health inspection, which tends to keep nails and quick short, but I had been remiss due to inclement weather and this is an outside project for me,especially the grooming and brushing. Two months had passed between treatments, so our buns were long overdue.

Buck

i alsodo all my animals once-monthly. it's gotten easier over time to misshitting the quick. i only hit it once in a long while now. and yes, youdo trim the quick, wait three weeks while the quik recedes and thentrim it agian. this is the schedule i have my neighbor's dogs on, theyhave some problems with their older dog, she has very long, painfulnails. but, that's with dogs. it's probably less than three weeks withrabbits. like one or two weeks or so.

Ellie

Latest posts

Back