Does my rabbit have a Gastrointestinal disease?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexzendra

Reaction score
Okay so my rabbit never ever exercise and eat alot of food that are high in sugar/calories !! he loves to eat carrots all the time! he eats around 5 to 4 carrots a day first i didn't know that it was bad for him until now but i think its to late :( I have a 6 years old rabbit and in 6 years i fed him most of the bad stuff like cabbage, carrots and leafy vegs. No Hay and no grass. Why no hay and grass? because i can't find hay or grass where i live i tried pet shops other shops looked everywhere but there isn't any hay or grass available for rabbits... i live in a city so i can't get it from a farm or somewhere near.. The things that i fed my rabbits are:

Carrots (all the time)
cabbage (all the time)
Parsley (all the time)
Banana (not all the time)
apples (all the time)
Peas (all the time)
Peppers (not all the time)
Mint (not all the time)
Nuts (2 almond nut once a day)
cookies and biscuits (one biscuit a day)
White Radish Tops (Some in 3-4 days)
i feed him these things in a large amount..

and No hay and grass :(

In 6 years my rabbit used to get diarrhea once a month (12 times a year) and 5 months ago my rabbit got urinary tract infection. we took him to vet and they gave him some antibiotics and after a week he was fine.. then he started having some white stuff in his pee.. and right now he's not eating/peeing/pooping and is lethargic. sitting in a hunched position and grinding his teeths.. his tummy feels hard.. i took him to vet 5 times in last 2 weeks, they gave him some medicines and injections that made him eat but then he stops again.. :( He's my first and only pet rabbit, i got him when i was 9 and i didn't really knew what he eat and what they don't. he have hard time chewing hard stuff and not eating. He never exercise.. Please tell me how can i help my bunny and what is wrong with him Is it a GI problem or teeth??

I Know i'm a bad owner :cry2

GI stasis is a symptom, not a problem itself. Meaning that if there is an imbalance in the gut due to improper diet, the gut will slow down, if your rabbit is in pain, the gut will slow down, if your rabbit is sick, the gut will slow down, etc etc. The white in the pee is likely due to bladder sludge, and is due to excess calcium in the diet (since rabbits don't digest calcium well).

It's hard to recommend what to do here, since when the gut slows down you want to get hay in them since it's high in fiber. If he's used to leafy greens, I would suggest cutting out the fruits and vegetables (high in sugar) and feeding herbs: mint, basil, cilantro/coriander etc along with lettuce such as romaine or dark leaf varieties (absolutely no iceberg). However, if he's not used to these things, introducing them can only make things worse, that's where hay is awesome. Hay doesn't have to be introduced gradually because it's so good. Roughly where do you live? We might have a member in your area that knows where to get hay. But you definitely need to get in to see a vet, they will be able to give a gut motility med, painkillers, hopefully something for the bladder sludge, and look at reviewing the diet, introducing hay and possibly limited pellets as well.

Latest posts

Back