Does my bunny trust me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramelsoda

Reaction score
I just got my first bunny, Lacy, two days ago. She's an 8 week old gold English Spot. She kicks when I try picking her up to hold her. But when I was sitting in her pen with her the day after I got her, she hopped right on my lap and let me pet her as she fell asleep. She also eats pellets right out of my hand. But I've tried sitting in the pen with her several different times, and she hasn't hopped on my lap again.
I picked her up and held her for the first time today. She kicked a little until she was in my arms. I only held her for a few seconds before gently putting her down. If I continue to do this every day, will she stop kicking and get more use to me and let me hold her? And does she trust me because she eats pellets out of my hand?

Kicking is a natural response because the feeling of getting picked up can simulate a predator grabbing them. When you pick her up dose she kick immediately or is there a delay? if its the latter you could try and quickly place your hand underneaths the feel and support her as you pick her up. that extra support might be enough to stop her from kicking.

I have my rabbit for 6 months and at first he was the same, would kick when i picked him up, it helped when I would place my hand on his back for a couple of seconds before picking him up. it took a couple of months before he would let me pick him up, now he never kicks and even lets me hold him like a baby and scratch his belly...just give it time, hope this helps...

Thank you. She seems to be getting more use to me picking her up now. Except when she's out running around outside of her pen. She doesn't want to be picked up then because she knows that's when play time is over...

Back