Does it look right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my bunny Cadbury 2 days ago and she seems to be doing quite fine, but I noticed today that when she had a bowel movement, it looked like some mucous along with it. Could it be a change in food from what the pet store was feeding her or I gave her a dried apple treat. Any ideas? Thank you!

Yes to either. What is the food like? Is it plain pellets or does it have treats in it? If it has treats mixed in then it could be upsetting her stomach. Is she eating hay?

Is she alert and active? If not, she needs a vet ASAP. If she is alert and active, just keep a close eye and don't change her food except to remove treats. Baby rabbits are very susceptible to diarrhea/intestinal upsets and if it's bad she'll need vet treatment.

I hope she's alright! Keep us updated!

Couldindicate a possible problem and be a precursor to illness such as enteritis. I'd give her (or him) a little Nutri Cal. It has vitamin E, which can help intestinal inflammation. Kits at this age are very susceptible to enteritis, so I'd keep a close eye on him.

I generally don't see mucous in droppings unless there's a problem. It's more common in Dwarf Hotots due to intestinal problems, but also seen in kits suffering from mucoid enteropathy.

Parasites can also cause mucous in the droppings.

Pam

She is very active and alert. Her food is just regular pellets nothing with a treat in in. I think maybe the next day or so I will lay off the dried apple treats. Maybe she is too young to be able to digest such things. Thanks for the information and I will keep you posted.

yeah, I would just stick to pellets and hay for now.

If you want to work in veggies and fruits later on, you just have to be sure to do it slowly and gradually. ;)

Just an update on Cadbury's stools. Today they were normal. I think it might have been the treat...I don't think her little bunny tummy could handle it plus the fact that I'm sure she was nervous and adjusting to her new home. Thnaks for everyone's help and suggestions. I think I'm going to wait until she's older and more settled before I introduce any treats that I think might be hard on her tummy. Thanks again:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back