Does it ever get any easier?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are beautiful poems.

It doesn't matter if they [the happenings, not the poems] are coincidences or not. It's how you feel when they happen that's important.

I don't know if we ever get over it. I lost Sedgewick on February 16 and I still cry over the loss. He was over 13 years and my best friend. He got sick in the autumn and the vet wanted to operate. I said no as it would not cure him but merely tell us what he had. On the day before he was grazing but he could not stand up for long. He had been that way for a while but he was good about it. As long as he could eat, drink, pee and poo I was okay with it. The day I put him down he did not want anything. Even his Metacam which he loved he refused.
I had him put down at 3 in the afternoon and then cremated at 4:30. Therein lies my worry. The vet had trouble finding the vein in the leg to inject him. Eventually he did and to this day I wonder if he actually euthanized him or Sedgewick had so much sedation in him he was limp. I took him to the crematorium and had a witness cremation.
Since that day there has been a scandal regarding cremations here in Victoria and on the Lower Mainland. People who pay for single cremations were not getting them but instead their animals were being put in with others. The crematorium I used was at the forefront of the scandal. Anyway its a long sad story and if anyone wants details please contact me.
As to getting over it. I know I won't. I have 4 other rabbits who are the world to me but they will never come close to being Sedgewick.
Bill Jesse

Ainsleys_mommy. Someone above wrote that there are signs and it is so true. It is also true that once a rabbit gets in your heart it changes you. I am not religious but am spiritual. At the moment Sedgewick passed an eagle came flying low over the vet's office and swooped right up. I did not see it but my wife did. It is an area where eagles do not normally fly. One morning a lone eagle was circling my backyard. We have eagles here but I had never seen one so low. A good friend had a dream that she saw Sedgewick and my late cat Charlee together in a field just walking. She stroked them both but felt nothing. She had never met Charlee.
A lady who runs a rabbit shelter told me I should write Sedgie a letter telling me how much I miss and love him. I did and then as instructed burned it. I wrote another asking him to let me know he is alright - to give me a sign. The weirdest thing happened. An outline of a rabbit head appeared on the face of my other male rabbit. (I have photos!) and it lasted about a week and never came back. Even now as I write I hear him behind me as he always was. There are signs.

I've had many rabbits for about 30 years on and off. Each rabbit was special in their own way. I have good memories of each. I remember Starbuck who went with me to college. He was my first rabbit. I've learned alot since then and still feel I don't know enough.

I just lost three special rabbits in the past month. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it. But then what would I do with the others. I would feel bad if I had to give them up. I remember those who have gone on and keep them in my heart.

Latest posts

Back