Does Everybody here Keep their bunny in a cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa

Reaction score
Do you think it's reckless Bunny parenting if my rabbits have their own room to roam?

My boyfriend and I just moved into a new condo with an extra bedroom so we decided to make it part my Art studio and part Bunny room.

Little did I know that my thug bunny, Vito would want the whole room for him and Lola. When I try to work he head butts me and pulls on my jeans to leave!

Of course when we first got him he had a cage and would grunt and rattle it all night long until we let him out.

**Sigh** I can't believe that I'm bossed around by a 2lb. bunny :)

My rabbits are in cages. I have two rabbits, Sweetie and Pudden. I got Pudden two weeks after Prince passed away. In my avatar, Sweetie is the black rabbit and Prince is the white rabbit. I have yet to get a pic of Pudden and Sweetie together. They are both black.

Oh and I love lionhead rabbits! Sweetie is a lionhead mix female and she is very cute. Gives me kisses all the time and we spend a lot of time together since Prince passed away.

Awww Sweetie and Prince look so cute together. Sorry about Prince.

Did you have separate cages for both? They didn't mind being caged?

I'm also jealous you get bunny kisses :)

Looking forward to seeing of pictures of Sweetie and Pudden :)

My rabbit Timmy spends most of his day in a 6x2x2 NIC cage although we also let him out to explore the hallway.

I would love to have a free-roaming bun one day, but it isn't really practical with the way our home is set up.

Have you considered leaving his cage as a sort of home base, somewhere where you feed him and keep his litter box that may serve as a safe area for him so he's not quite so territorial of the rest of the room?

Where we are atm my bunnies share a 2 story hutch where they sleep. The rest of the time they have the whole room to play in, and occasionally i let them out to free roam. When im not home though, they will be in their hutch.

I will be keeping my bunny in a condo when I get her.. I have a dog that I don't think I could trust around other pets without me around, and I'm renting the place so I can't have chewed up carpet/baseboards.. Just depends on your situation, but for me and for her, a cage is the safest bet when I'm not around.

Tessa wrote:
Do you think it's reckless Bunny parenting if my rabbits have their own room to roam?
I don't think it's reckless, but the bunny would probably be more comfortable if he's got a special enclosed place to retreat to. I'd still have a cage for him, even if he's primarily (or always) free-roaming. You can leave the door open most of the time, and he can spend his time in the cage when he feels like it. That gives you the option of closing the cage door if there's a need for it, if you're having a visitor who doesn't like rabbits (or would like them too much) or the rabbit would just get in the way (young children, for example, or if you've got repairmen in who'll have things opened up that bunny shouldn't jump into).

Natasha's got her cage, which is open if I'm home so she can roam the entire house (except the guest room - I keep that door closed, as it's not bunny-proof). Even so, she spends a lot of time just relaxing on her balcony if I'm nearby, and she gets her meals and has her hay rack there so there's always something to nibble. If someone comes in that she doesn't like (if they have dogs, or were petting a dog, or, I sometimes think, if they've even spoken the word "dog"), she can hide in a dark corner of the cage and keep a wary eye on things.

7648_232034_370000001.jpg

Tessa wrote:
Awww Sweetie and Prince look so cute together. Sorry about Prince.

Did you have separate cages for both? They didn't mind being caged?

I'm also jealous you get bunny kisses :)

Looking forward to seeing of pictures of Sweetie and Pudden :)

I got separate cages just in case they didn't get along. But they did the first time they met, meaning they instantly bonded. When one was sick I would separate them, so that the other wouldn't get sick.

Yeah I love the bunny kisses, matter-of-fact that is how Sweetie got her name. She gave me kisses right from the start and I thought that it was so sweet, so I called her Sweetie. I had to teach her how to give kisses on my nose, which she does a lot, and I love them, they make me melt.

Thank you for your condolences about Prince.

Sweetie and Pudden are both black so I would have to get a good pic of them in order for others to see them. I am hoping that they will bond to each other, but I think that Sweetie loves Netherland Dwarfs the most.

My minilop (avatar) free roams the bedroom. She still has space that is hers, but I decided to take the fence down since it was never closed anyway. She grew up in a small cage so she gets a little crazy when the door shut, almost like she was claustrophobic. Knock on wood, she has never destroyed anything other than one of my husband's shirts that he left on the floor in her space (his fault, she was just making a nest of it and put a few small bite holes in it).

My angora is incorrigible and his bunwife follows him into mischief. They have half of my office. The whole room is bunny proofed for them to run around when supervised, but he got too territorial when they had the whole room. This gives them a good amount of space that is theirs and they enjoy visiting with me when I work. I use NIC panels around the whole perimeter to protect cords and prevent chewing on walls. Then the room is divided in half with panels so they know which is their side (not that Houdini doesn't do his best to "escape" even when he doesn't' come out half of the time when I open the door.)

No matter their size, buns rule the house :biggrin2:

Benjamin roams free all of the time. He has access to the upstairs ( ours and his bedroom ), the living room and kitchen downstairs and a scout hole out to his large enclosed yard. Only time he is in a cage is when he goes to the vet. Even when we travel he has his dirt box and travelling cushion ( a sponge mattress folded in half with a quilt - cover whole back set area ) and never is in a cage. Benjamin is almost 15 pounds and definitely rules the household.lol

I let my rabbits out for play time during the day when I am home, but when it is bedtime and/or when I am not home they are caged. Sweetie is caged more because everytime I let her out she tears up the carpet. Pudden loves to play outside of his cage and binkies as well.

They do get out of cage time a lot.

As of May, my rabbit has been free roam and has access to all areas of our home except the garage and the bedroom. His cage is out and accessible to him, but he's not kept in it anymore. He's rather in love with our enclosed porch and spends alot of time out there. I am going to feel bad when I need to close it off in the winter.

The only times when he is in his cage is if a friend is looking after him for an evening or two if I need to go to a conference and bring my fiancee. Or if we need him safely secure and out of the way during anything like painting, remodeling, or moving furniture.

He sometimes has to be in his cage for the occasional party we have, just to mae sure not one steps on him. But he often just gets put on the porch where he loves it anyways.

Their cage is a Huge one and is always open in the Bunny/art studio room. They eat in their cage and one of their litter boxes is also in there. We put down an industrial strength tarp and threw some cheap carpeting on top to bunny proof the floor.

A friend had mentioned that keeping the bunnies in the cage then letting them out an hour a day would make them more tame. This might work for my Lola but not for Vito.

So I see some Buns even have their own room and are free roaming. Awesome, I feel a bit normal now.

:biggrin2: Every time I think I'm done Bunny proofing a room my Vito proves me wrong
IMG_0535-1.jpg

tessa that pic of your rabbit has got to be one of the cutest things i have ever ever seen. looks like a little stuffed animal. i think im in love.

Bebe stays in her cage with no cover over it (the metal top). She gets free time in the basement run, and out with us when we are in the family room. It is not free roam, but a contained space.

:) Our bunny has a cage, She is in it when we go to bed and when we leave for the day.
But when I get home I open the door and let her do what she wants, she can either come out and hang out with us, run around the house, or hang out in there.

Usually she does circles around the couch like its nascar, and then she heads for her cage to sprawl our on the 2nd floor or just sprawls out on the floor.

Rikki Tikki is in a cage currently. Once I rehome the kittens, and building my baby gate to go in my pathway, he will get to free roam my living room. I do have to bunny proof though.

Back