Does cheaper mean worse?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Reaction score
Ok. So my friend is thinking about getting her bunny neutured. I am totally encouraging it. She tells me though that she is kind of on a budget. I found this place that the neuters are $45.00. That is a great deal I thought. But my question is if it is cheaper does that mean it is not as good?

Here is the link: It is the first adress. http://www.bunnyluv.org/low-cost_spay_neuter.htm

Thanks,

Hannah

I don't necessarily believe that cheaper equals a less than adequate service. While it may indicate that in some instances, it is not a rule. Even the most expensive vet services can be poor quality with vets who are not knowledgable about the animals they treat. Nothing is a sure thing.

If I were in that situation, I would try to get as much information as possible. Ask the vets questions and ask other area vets, rabbit owners, and shelters what they think of the services that vet supplies. While there are no guarantees, information is the best tool.

Good luck to your friend.

I totally understand that I need to getas muchinformation as possible. The problem is I am super busy and my freind is well, not as involved in the rabbit soceity as I would like her to be.

ETA: I agree Alicia. I would usally not trust random websites with vets on them. But this one was on the vet listings and so I assumed it had to be proficient

Well, my initial thought is to tell you to have your friend step up and do what needs to be done as she is the owner and the responsible party. However, sometimes others do need to step in and help when health and wellness is at stake. That being said, maybe you could talk with her about things?

Would you be able to provide her with a list of phone numbers and questions to ask? That way she'd be the one doing the actual work, but she'll have a frame of reference to start with. If that's not even possible, ask her to contact the rescue that endorses the practice - they could be a huge resource for her if she's not as involved in the rabbit community as she could be.

I don't know if any of those suggestions will work, but they're at least something to think about. Again...good luck.

I am preparing a list of vet questions.

How long has the doctor been neuturing rabbits

40 years

Does he use anistesha?What kind?

Isoflorine

Does he send how pain meds

optional

Does he keep the rabbit over night.

no

I just called. They sound great. They insit on having fed the rabbit before it coming in and bringing food for when it wakes up. The docator has been spaying and neuturing for forty years. The anisteshia is called isoflorine (sp?). Pain pills are optional. The rabbit does not stay over night.

Thanks!

[*]about how many rabbit clients does the veterinarian see in a year?

[*]how many spays/neuters OF RABBITS has the veterinarian has done in the past year?

[*]what was the success rate?

[*]if any were lost, what was the cause?

[*]does the veterinarian remove both uterus and ovaries? (they should)

[*]does the veterinarian do "open" or "closed" neuters? (closed is preferable--let your veterinarian explain the difference)

[*]is entry to the testicles made through the scrotum or the abdomen? (Entry via the abdomen unnecessarily increases the trauma for male rabbits)

[*]does the veterinarian require withholding of food and water prior to surgery in rabbits? (It is better not to do this--rabbits can't vomit, so there is no risk of that during surgery, and rabbits should never be allowed to get empty digestive tracts)

[*]what anesthetics are used (some veterinarians are quite successful with anesthetics other than isofluorene, but the bunny is "hung over" after surgery, which increases the probability that s/he will be slow to start eating again, which can lead to serious problems if not dealt with.

[*]Review the procedure (op and immediate post-op) with your vet. Ask how problems will be detected: how often will they (the veterinarian and the techs) look in on your kid and what will they look for?. What will they do pre-op to find any potential problems? How will they support your bun in the hours after surgery: O2, warmth, quiet (barking dogs and yowling cats in the next cage are probably not helpful), and stimulation? What are they going to do to make it come out right?! Ask questions! That will get your veterinarian's attention. Let them know you're concerned and that you'll be paying attention.

These were taken from http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

Latest posts

Back