Does anyone know?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browneyedgal

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how old must a british conti giant bunny be before he/ she should be removed from parents or siblings into a new home?

Browneyedgal

I moved the thread over to the Rabbitry so the breeders will see it.

I know for smaller breeds you want 8-10 weeks and bigger breeds develop slower, so my guess would be around 12 weeks. However, I am not a breeder nor do I have any experience with large breeds.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows for sure.

--Dawn

Our Flemish Giants get weaned from their mother around 10 weeks, (mom's milk production drops off to almost nothing at that point), but I keep the litter together for another 2 weeks to make sure they are eating well and developing normally. I usually let them go to their new homes after 12 weeks.

I see. Thanks to allfor your replies :)

My hubby brought home a British Giant and he's only8 weeks old last week. He looks frail and bony.

He seems a bit home sick and suffering from GI Stasis with terrible bloat for about 4 - 5 days now. He's been to the vets 3x but he's still suffering and not eating. I have been doing all I can to get his gut going and feeding him with water, foodand medicine. He appears to be on the mend now but very slowly indeed. He's very clingy too and I have to cuddle him for hours! I am giving him tummy rubs as well and it seems to be working. No poops yet though. :(

:litterempty:

I guessed that he might have been a bit too young to leave his siblings at 8 weeks and I might be right.

I hope he gets better soon. :pray:

browneyedgal

Thats awful poor you and him he must be feeling really yucky you are doing great though by the sounds of it and on the mend even if its slowly :)

Have you been using infacol? its really good if they are gassy or bloaty. I also use Carrs entracare if I need to in their water its good for helping with weaning, coccidosis and stasis. i swear by it in fact i was using cider vinegar but its def not as good as the entracare!! It seems to be oregano and water but it works well for me you just dilute it into their water bottle

www.naturalfeeds.co.uk

Hope that is of some use to you:)

Weaning is a toughtime for any rabbit. I've seen some do fine at 8 weeks... but I do try to stretch it out a bit...

I've had a few giants that have trouble. Polly is right, the simethicone (baby gas drops) seems to help. I've nursed them through it, but it seems to be a slow road to recovery. Let us know how he's doing!

Thanks Polly and Bluegaiants for the advice. The vets gave him something similar to Infacol so I amgiving him the medication to help him with the bloat. If the medication finishes, I will continue with Infacol if necessary.

He was a bit quiet this morning when I checked on him. I got a bit worried becausehe looked as if he was about to give up. His tummy felt hardand he refused a tummy rub. I went out to the shopsearly afternoonto getbananas, savoy cabbage andapples to try to make him eat anything. He munched on the apple but refused it after 3 small mouthfuls. He licked the banana and my husband mashed it up and fed him a bit of it. I presented him with the savoy cabbage and he ate it. It's now 10:30pm andhe ate at least half a leaf of cabbage now. It is great seeing him eat something.:D

Iwill continue to feed him his bloat medication and also Fibreplex as a supplement to get his gut going. No poops yet. He's very leaky though, he pees all the time. I think it's to do with his tummy.

I will try entracare if I can find it ... is it available at the supermarket or at a pharmacy?

I'm worried about him becauseit's now Sunday. I got to get to work tomorrow sothe little giant is going to miss thecuddles and head strokes that I have been giving him all weekend.

I will keep you guys posted on how he's doing. Thanks all for your care and concern. I appreciate it!

browneyedgal

Oh sorry I did not read the natural feeds link before writing the post. I will try to get some soon. There's a Stockist near my place I will telephone them in the morning.

Thanks once again! :D

Browneyedgal

I'd be a little careful with the cabbage, it can add to the gas problem. Do you have canned pumpkin available to you? It's high in fiber and they seem to take it pretty easily. I usually mix the cooked pumpkin with a little bit of Critical care and a pinch of probiotics and syringe feed it to them.

I just nursed a 9 week old Flemish Doe through it, out of a litter of 9, only one got it, and she is recovering slowly. It took 3 weeks, but she is eating on her own and doing well.

edited to add: If he won't take a tummy rub, try just holding him on your lap, on a warm towel or heating pad. The heat helps too.

The little one's bottom exploded this morning. He made a right mess in his cage!

He could not stop eating since: nibblinghay, more cabbage and rabbit museli. I took the cabbage leaf away this evening when I got home from work so he only has got hay and museli now. He is definitely on the mend! His belly is not as huge as it was yesterday. He's also tooth purring when he is stroked on the head. His bottom is messy though so I need to give him a bum bath when he's better.

It's a great feeling knowing that you have helped a little one through rough times. Brilliant job at turning the Flemish Doe round blueflemish. 3 weeks is indeed a long time.

My hubby spoketo the breeder over the telephonetoday.He was told thatonemale from the same litterdied. Our little oneis one of 3 males. We brought him home and 2 wereleft.The breeder managed to sell one to someoneelse andthe oneleft behinddied. :cry4:

I hope our little one will continue to improve and catch up on his eating! He's ever so thin!

Thanks for the advice and for your concern. Appreciate it! :hugsquish:

Browneyedgal

The poor baby died this morning. :cry4:He had severe diarrhoeayesterday (friday) afternoon. My husband discovered it when he came home at around 3pm and phoned me to tell me that the bunny was covered in poo. As I had to man an exhibition stall that day,I could not leave until 6pm. I rushed home to clean him up and fed him Fibreplex. I had to go out again that evening for a prior engagement. I came home at midnight and sat with him until 2am.

I was the last to tend to him this morning at from 7:45am to8:45am as I tried togive himwaterwith someEntracare in it and fed himFibreplex butI suspected hewould not make it.His eyes told me he thatwas giving up andI put him back into his cage at 8:50am. I planned toget him to the vets in the morning but the angel of death beat me to him. I think he left this world at around 9:30 to 10am.

It's just so sad. I am devastated. Ionly knew him for4 weeks but I love him dearly. He'sa loving bunny always licking everyone he sees and always so curious about everything.He had about 10 days of illness free life with us binkying away every evening when we let him havethe free run of our living room.
:rainbow:binky free little one ... I'll always miss you.

OH my! I am so sad to hear this! :( I was really hoping that he was doing OK... I'm so sorry. (You had him 4 weeks, and that is plenty of time to fall in love... ) Binky free little one.

Latest posts

Back