Does anyone have this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyScraper

Reaction score
Ok, so I own a toy poodle and Bishon Frise mix named Pheobie. At 3 weeks old to 5 weeks old I let the baby rabbit litters run around the yard 1-2 hours a day 4 days a week so they are not so just in case there new home has a run for them outside they will not be so shocked by there new house.
But, while the rabbits are out there I entrust Pheobie with the job of taking care of them, protecting them, and keeping the area in order and safe for them. If one gets lost we go search and rescue to find it.
She herds them and attacks anything to come close to them. Ecxept for me, I was just wondering does anyone have a dog who does that with there rabbits/kits?

If one of the rabbits gets loose in the house, (they have to stay in one big room cause they eat the carpet and pee on it) Sydney, my australian shepherd will go find them for me. She doesn't quite know what to do since they are so small compared to the sheep, but she will nose them from under chairs and things. She loves Bo! and Tony adores her! Amazingly, Clover likes her also and her sister (my sister's dog) is the one who caught her as a baby and hurt her.

Thats kinda what Pheobie does except we are outside in our yard. The babies love to go play in the garden but Pheobie is well aware to keep them off the ant hill around there.

It's very cool that she's protective of them! She knows they belong to her "pack" and she's not going to allow anything to harm them! LOL !

Our neighbour has a lionhead that had 5 babies. She also has a terrier dog. When the babies were born, she noticed him staring at them, and with him being a terrier was a bit worried. However, he adored those babies, and under stict supervision, he cleaned them, lay with them, let them climb all over him (while their mom ate grass).

When they were out in the garden and the time came for them to go back, he gently nudged them with his nose. I couldn't believe how gentle he was. This went on until they grew up a bit and weren't babies anymore. Then, he lost interest, and went back to ignoring them, just like he did their mom :?

Jan

Latest posts

Back