Does anyone have geese on maintenance feed pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 year old goose who i have been trying to find a good maintenance feed for. i have tried Dumor, Southern States, Nutrena, and Agway Brand. All of which are either Finisher or Maintenance pellets or a combination of both. The Nutrena pellets are 15% protein and seemed to do well with her. i am trying a 16% protein food from Agway and it doesnt seem to be agreeing with her. she smells more with this than the other food.

she is also molting and i know molting causes birds to be stressed. i was wondering if anyone knew about a vitamin supplement i could give her or if the bene-bac for birds would be ok for her?

I love geese! I had 4 here, but they ate weeds/vegetation around the pond, so can't help you there. Do you not have enough weeds and stuff for her to eat?

Have you tried Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance?

I work at a wildlife hospital and we feed all of our resident ducks the Mazuri pellets floated in water, along with diced collard greens and kale. Mazuri has about 14 percent protein. With this diet, we've maintained a flock of three younger ducks (age 1, 3 and 5) and two seniors (10 and 13.) They had been raised on Agway & Southern State feeds and we started to have some trouble with growth in our rehabilitation ducklings. Since we switched all to the Mazuri, we find they eat less food, maintain great weights and they are all in great health.

We work with a number of rehabilitation patients including adult Canada Geese and Atlantic Brant and keep all on Mazuri as well. I know of a local domestic duck and goose sanctuary that feeds this to their residents as well.

It's a little pricey but there is free shipping through their website. We order the 50 pound bags through our local Agway.

http://www.mazuri.com/index.aspx

Thanks for the reply.

the only reason why i do not use Mazuri, though i have considered it, is because it is manufactured by Purina which i have had a lot of problems with. I had a rabbit get bad diarrhea from it and a different domestic goose with health issues as well. so i am trying to stay away from purina/mazuri which seem to be the only ones available on long island.

:)

Back