Does anyone have a rabbit that DOESN'T like to cuddle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Domino is a snuggler. I can carry her around, she'll groom herself on my lap, she hops on my pregnant belly sometimes will climb on my shoulder. My angora is a different story. She will only snuggle if you cradle her like a baby. She will come to you for pets and to sniff but she does not care to be picked up.

Yeah a snuggle bunny would be nice. But man with my cats liking to smother me as it is I think one more would be too much hahaha. I've always found cats to be big snugglers.

Harvey will run up to me to demand attention but when he's napping he's got his spots and it's not with me haha.

I had a break through! Tonight while my husband was reading to our youngest I was laying on the floor and Atticus hopped onto me and snuggled under my chin. He sat on me for 15 or so minutes accepting gentle ear rubs, tugs and nose scritches.

WOO!

Gary and Houdini are not snuggle bunnies, but they don't get upset over it either. They are content to let me fawn over them for a little while but are happier if I let them run around instead. They were both treated well their whole lives and I got them relatively young.

Sophie does NOT want to be picked up, but I don't think her interactions with people before us were very nice. She snuggled when she was doped up from her spay, so there is a sweetie in there somewhere. At least now she will let us give her a quick pet as she hops around the living room.

Only one of my 4 bunnies (Buckley) is a snuggle bunny.. like he'll fall asleep in my lap, lets me pick him up and everything :)
My oldest(Alice) bunny loves being stroked but only when she wants it but won't ever sit on my lap, she just sits on the floor and demands attention! then my other 2 females (Bonnie and Casey) don't like being touched or picked up but they will climb all over me, lick me and follow me everywhere.. but as soon as i touch them they freak out! aha. It's weird because i've had Buckley, Bonnie and Casey from day 1 as they are Alice's babies and have all been handled the same way.. Its so cute how they all have different personalities :)

Greetings from India

I just got my rabbits and just had to reply to this thread.

My rabbits started out on shaky ground but now they demand for attention. In fact when I sit down to work they come and sit on my lap and fall a sleep. I just love them :)
I guess you have to just give them their space .. and when they are ready they come to you.

BTW mine are house bunnies.. and are only put in at night and when they eat.

I have yet to own a rabbit that likes to cuddle. I have also yet to own a rabbit that LIKES to be held. I have one now, Bugsy that tolerates it well.. but by the look in his face I know he does it for me and not him lol. Oreo? Yea right i wouldnt dare try to snuggle or carry her, i'd be all sliced up!

Max HATES being picked up. With a passion. But she'll jump right on your lap (whether you're ready or not. lol) and lay down and snuggle. Just don't try standing up with her in your arms or you'll look like you got into a fight with a food grater...and lost. LOL

Nestle, on the other hand, absolutely loves being held and cuddled. I open his cage door (propped on my stomach) and he'll run right up and onto my chest. I even took him to a horse show, and held him most of the day, and he was purring.

I love them both, but find Nestle more fun to hold when I'm reading. Max is more fun when I'm just hanging out in the family room with the kids. If you stop petting Max before she's ready (like to turn a page) she's quick to give you a nip to get you started again. LOL

I got my bun about 2-3 weeks ago and since the begining she hates being picked up, no matter what i do she bites scratches and claws to get down..so now i see its not just my bun that hates to snuggle/held...she will demand attention but as soon as she thinks your going to pick her up she freaks and just runs, she loves to bite my clothes in oreder to get my attention..

Agnes is very cuddly for a rabbit. For a rabbit being the key phrase :) I can pick her up any time, any where with no struggle. when I set her down, she doesn't even move until I've taken my hands away. It's as if ive set down a bag of flour. Plop. And finally moves......

She is always around me. Either on my lap, next to my side or nudging for pets or attention.

She follows me and waits for me when I leave the room. She will sit for a looooong time next to me wanting head and ear massage.

She runs to her cage door and licks me and grooms me (licking my arms, nose and forehead are her favorite spots).

So by those definitions, I think she is snuggly. :)

Im very lucky to have a rabbit that likes to cuddle as much as I do.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/iU1Ati4KFUg&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

My bunny doesn't like being cuddled or hugged or carried. The only thing that I can do to him is pet him while he is lying on the floor or when he is in his cage. But actually he is really friendly. He would circle his space when he saw me passing through his area. He prefers me to pet him without him being carried. I guess that's just how I should pet him.

I got my bunnies when the holland lop (Gaz) was 8 weeks and the lionhead (Nala) was 7 weeks. Gaz loved to be held and snuggled for the first couple weeks; Nala wanted nothing to do with it. now Nala loves to come over to me and get pet, loves to climb on me, etc... Gaz, on the other hand, is hit-and-miss. she'll come up and head-butt my hand like she wants to be pet, then run like hell when I reach out to pet her. other times, though, she'll sit there and let me pet her for quite a while before taking off.

LiRa92 wrote:
you are so lucky. how did you manage to make him that relaxed? did you trained him or something?
In actuality she trained me. The first time flipped her over on my lap she looked like she really enjoyed it .

When I began to cradle her in my arms......she was in heaven.

I don't think that rabbits can be trained to like to cuddle. Some rabbits like to cuddle more than others.

Some of my buns don't like to be picked up and cuddled, but they are incredibly sweet! One rabbit is among the sweetest we've owned, and we don't pick her up :)

LiRa92 wrote:
My bunny doesn't like being cuddled or hugged or carried. The only thing that I can do to him is pet him while he is lying on the floor or when he is in his cage. But actually he is really friendly. He would circle his space when he saw me passing through his area. He prefers me to pet him without him being carried. I guess that's just how I should pet him.

I'm in this boat. Occasionally I can trick him to be on my lap through food, but for the most part he likes his space though from time to time he'll allow me to be in his. Helps that his cage is big enough for me to get in halfways.

My bunny loves having cuddles! She will run around our feet, bump us or follow us until we pick her up for cuddles. She lays on our chest for hours and often falls asleep. She will also groom my partners chest hair when he is giving her cuddles. She gets into bed with us every morning and has cuddles. She usually likes it when she is on our chest and has the duvet over her to keep her warm. If we didn't have to get up and do things she'd probably stay in bed with us all day!

This is the first time I've had a rabbit do this, she is a cuddle addict and super affectionate, she will lick us and follow us around the flat all day. I don't know why she is different from the others I've had. It may be because she lives inside with us and we spend a lot of time with her. We bought her home when she was one month old and just gave her lots of attention and gradually she became used to being picked up and carried around. She must be an exception to normal bunny rules!

She's our cuddle bunny and currently sat on my partner's chest receiving ear scratches and lots of petting. A very happy bunny.

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Back