Does anyone else keep their buns outdoors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhi Rhi

Reaction score
Heya. :) I've been looking for other people from the UK that keep their buns outdoors? I just thought we cold swap notes on keeping them warm this winter etc... Though it would seem that the worst has passed (i hope!)

I imagine the worst there isn't that bad by Chicago standards, where [at least until recently] a 20" snowfall happens every few years & a 10" happens nearly every year or 2. But when you aren't used to it & don't have the snowplows etc to handle it, it's a different thing.

Our snow's disappeared :) Putting something over the top and adding extra bedding should be enough to keep them toasty. Snugglesafes if you're worried.

I imagine the worst there isn't that bad by Chicago standards, where [at least until recently] a 20" snowfall happens every few years & a 10" happens nearly every year or 2. But when you aren't used to it & don't have the snowplows etc to handle it, it's a different thing.

Yeah it's definitely not that bad!

Our snow's disappeared :) Putting something over the top and adding extra bedding should be enough to keep them toasty. Snugglesafes if you're worried.

Yeah ours has gone now also. It's seriously windy now though. I cover their run pretty much 24/7 right now but they still choose to spend the majority of their time in the hutch cuddled up!

Mine are in the (metal) shed so I just make sure they have plenty of bedding. When they were outside I would cover the front overnight with carpet or heavy tarpaulin (along with plenty of bedding) which seemed to be sufficient for them x

I'm not from the UK, but keep my rabbits outside. They (a french lop and a checkered giant mix) don't mind the cold one bit. I gave them a sheltered area, but most of the time, they stay out in the open air. After a couple of the snowfalls, I would find outlines where my lop had just sat there and got snowed on. When they live outside, their fur adapts to changing weather. Both of my rabbits have very plush coats and furry feet. They will seek shelter when there's heavy rain, but nothing else seems to faze them.

8277944711_2dc04d2181_z.jpg

My boy lives out side. He is an angora though..and with that thick coat he stays toasty warm and loves to lay out in the open. We live in the North West ..I think we are in the clear for the weather as well!

Both of my rabbits live outside, a french lop and a netherland, only because it was said to get cold this winter I brought the Netherland indoors because he's only small in comparison to the Lop. When it snowed I brought the lop in as well for a few days and put her back out when the snow melted but now they're both back out again.

Sorry for the delayed reply, guys. I've not been very well. My buns haven't explored outside of their hutch or run yet because we need to build a new gate and mesh up some holes here and there. I'd love to see what they would have made of the snow though! They both have very thick coats and thick furry feet too. I'm also giving them larger amounts of hay through the cold period so they can snuggle if needed. They have a cover also and in addition their hutch and run are under a gazebo until spring so they're very sheltered. I know their bodies adapt but I suppose you just can't help but worry a little about your babies huh! :) The only concern is how their water freezes over night and I really don't know what I can do to help prevent this as they drink from a bowl and not a bottle...

We keep ours outdoors. They're perfectly happy, they just get slightly grumpy because the shorter daylight hours mean they don't get much time out of the hutch in the winter. We've let them out in snow and they're not phased at all. Main thing to look out for in the winter is frozen water bottle in the depths of December and January, so if it's below zero check it regularly.

I've worried about them more over the last couple of weeks when it's been really hot - it's obvious Pip's not very happy with the heat and he's still in the middle of moulting so looks like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards. Lola however is a sun worshipper and sits there sunbathing!

Daz

I have radiator reflecting sheet stapled on the outside of our hutch where the bed compartment is and in winter we increase the amount of hay in their bedding area. Last year I saw both bunnies outside in the run shivering but they were quite happy sitting out there in the ice cold with a bowl of water that had turned to ice. They were waiting for their pellets. :p

Very late response! lol just found this thread and am sat here looking at my bunnys outside in the cold.. i always feel really guilty but to be honest they are happiest out there... I cover the run with clear tarpaulin, i then cover the mesh in the top of the hutch with something to keep out the draft.. lots of hay make sure it it dry inside.. then i put some old underlay i have kept from taking our carpet up on the roof, some tarpaulin over that which only covers top and sides then a hutch snuggle thing which pulls over tightly and keep all in place.. this has a clear front which goes up and down... there is plenty of holes and also the entry in the floor is always open so lots of ventilation.. they can go outside in the run which has wire under the earth to stop intruders..whenever they want so that is not a problem.. then to top it off.. i put in a warmer.. those round ones which heat in the microwave made for rabbits.. And i STILL worry they arent warm enough lol... the water i have in large troughs which i break every morning.. cant do much else really... last year they got thro the snow fine.. Hope yours are doing ok ... Love .. fluffleluffle, baby and me..:bunnieskiss
Forgot to say we are in the midlands uk..

While there are many people and organizations who are adamant about the "necessity" of keeping bunnies indoors, every legitimate concern (hazards like heat, cold, rain, predators, potential for escape, etc. as well as whether they'll be offered enough opportunity for exercise and get enough attention/truly be considered part of the "family") can easily be countered by anyone concerned and educated enough about outdoor bunny safety who also appreciates their bunn(s) enough to spend lots of time out there with them.

You can predator-proof, rain/wind/snow-proof and escape-proof an enclosure, keep them comfortably warm in the winter and appropriately cool in the summer (though at especially extreme temperatures like Alaskan winters or 100-110F+ summer temps, that may necessitate finding a way to either climate control a shed/barn/garage of some sort or to mitigate the "shock" of bringing them indoors temporarily), heat or add ice to their water bottles as needed, build a secure and covered run area or take the time to supervise their exercise in an uncovered pen and love them enough to show it even when that means suffering extreme weather to visit with them. By the same token, being indoors does not inherently guarantee a bunny won't suffer neglect.

In my opinion, the "bunnies belong indoors" mantra isn't applicable to those with outdoor rabbits who do things *right* - it's passed around to discourage all of the people who would likely screw it up ;). Also, the issue of people failing at outdoor rabbits is much more prevalent in the US than the UK because your climate is very mild as a general rule compared to what the US tends to experience; our weather doesn't really do "moderation" - it prefers extremes. Ignorance can *easily* be the difference between life and death when winter weather reaches -40F or summer afternoons see highs of 100-120F!

Personally, I DO encourage keeping pet rabbits indoors when possible *if* opinions on that topic have specifically been solicited (ie if someone asks which is better, I generally hedge in favor of indoors unless there's a reason specific to their situation that makes outdoors a better option yet if someone with outdoor bunnies doesn't ask for others' thoughts on the matter, I don't try to push an opinion on them)... but I'm adamantly opposed to stating it as an absolute necessity (as though living outdoors automatically guarantees "second rate" care). While some people keep their rabbits outside because they whole-heartedly believe it's in their best interests, many people would honestly prefer to have them in the house but feel they can't or shouldn't due to certain circumstances (among the possibilities are allergies, lack of space, safety concerns regarding other household pets or their parent(s)/significant other/roommate insisting the bunn(s) belong outdoors).

Those who aren't in a position to feel they can freely choose one way or the other without opposition or consequence end up feeling guilty because of the stigma that's been created around keeping pet rabbits outside. They often feel they're perceived as not being as good an owner as those who have "house" rabbits (or worse yet, actually believe that)... when really, the location of your rabbits has NO bearing on what quality of bunny-slave you are. As long as you ensure that all of their needs and some of their wants are met (the philosophy my parents raised me by), then you're a wonderful owner.

Respect the many ways in which domesticated rabbits' needs differ from their wild counterparts/make the appropriate accommodations and outdoor "pet" rabbits can live perfectly healthy and happy lives which are no more or less fulfilled than an equally well-cared for house rabbit.

:soapbox I'll quit rambling in an ancient thread now, lol... I just hate to see a great owner feeling guilty for no good reason!

Last edited:
My rabbits live in a hutch indoors for extra protection from predators, escaping, getting lost and loud noises but if your rabbit is used to noises and has a secure hutch I don't see why not to keep them outside! My rabbits get stressed inside from the heat of the house and noises but rabbits who have lived indoors their whole lives will obviously prefer it.

Back