Does anyone else dread Christmas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just thought I was bump this because Christmas is getting closer, and I know there are people out there who might struggle with Christmas.

The spoiled kid in me says: I dread not getting what I wanted.

I wanted an iPod touch, and got a digital camera. :? No iPod touch for meee.

Maybe it'll be in another present. If not, I'll cry. Haha. I'm so dumb.

I have mixed feelings about Christmas right now - well - I guess I've often had them.

There have been years where we've had the trees and presents and done a lot...with lots of surprises. Then there's been years without a tree (we couldn't afford it and/or didn't have space in our house) and/or when we had little presents. Of course, I know in my heart Christmas isn't about the gifts.

This year - I really don't have any "spirit" for Christmas. I haven't put out my nativity set (which I love)...I haven't really done anything to decorate. I think part of it is I've been busy with work and haven't had the time to do much - nor have I had the energy. Plus we spent two weekends on the road - either going to San Antonio or heading up to see Eric.

I think if Eric was able to come home for Christmas - I'd probably be finding a place to put up a tree somewhere and decorate it somehow....I just don't really feel up to it now.

But I have today and tomorrow off from work - and just before I woke up this morning I was dreaming about moving into a new apartment (no bunnies or anything like that) and how nice and clean everything was and how UNCLUTTERED it was....and I am hoping to use today and tomorrow to work on decluttering my office area and the living room area (along with catching up on laundry).

I'm thinking if I can get the breakfast bar cleaned off and looking pretty - I might get a plant or something and put there and maybe a holiday table runner to go down the middle...and that might put me more in the Christmas spirit.

Peg

I have decided to make as much of my Xmas presents as possible. I have knit and crafted 90% of my xmas gifts. I think that Xmas should be about family and feeling good, not "did you get me that xbox I wanted?" With my FIL's passing it has made me try to enjoy that "wholesome" feeling that xmas used to give me. But working in retail makes me hate the the entirehuman race. :p

~Star~

XxMontanaxX wrote:
The spoiled kid in me says: I dread not getting what I wanted.

I wanted an iPod touch, and got a digital camera. :? No iPod touch for meee.

Maybe it'll be in another present. If not, I'll cry. Haha. I'm so dumb.

Ifind that both sad and good. It's sad that it hinges all on presents for you, but good that that's your only worry. lol, I wish presents was my only worry.

Peg, I'm sorry you are struggling to get into the Christmas spirit. I hope it gets easier as you get nearer. *hugs*

Starina, I'm sorry about your FIL, but that's great about your presents. Losing someone does make you appreciate what you have. I'm so sure people will love those presents, I know that I would appreciate something someone had taken so much time and effort with :)

Starina wrote:
I think that Xmas should be about family and feeling good, not "did you get me that xbox I wanted?"
~Star~
Oh wow - I think that this is a lot of why I'm struggling this year - because we're not together as family.

We've never really been that materialistic or anything - but it was the being together and hanging out together that meant so much to me...and I don't really have that much anymore...so it is hard.

I didn't really connect with that fully though till I read your post.

BTW - I already have my main Christmas present. Last Monday (our normal date time) - Art & I went to T-Mobile and I got my first "real" cell phone account (I've had tracfone in the past)...and now I can text Eric and stuff and he is #1 in my five faves...and I'm having a blast with it.

I've decided I'm going to ask Art to get us some nice towels for Christmas because I keep using the towels on the bunnies and then they look cruddy...

Peg

My heart goes out to all of you (who have posted, and those who may not have) who are dreading Christmas this year. I've been through that feeling before, and it's not nice. There's so much emphasis put on the holiday through advertisers and such that those who are in situations where they are alone, or missing someone, or perhaps there are family rifts...well, it just seems to exacerbate the feelings of lonliness.

I think the worst Christmas I ever spent (aside from the first one without my mom...I was 11 that year, and have completely blocked out the memory now) was when my (ex) husband and I were in the process of breaking up. We were still together as a couple then, but were living in my dad's house, having given up our apartment when I became pregnant...back then they were able to deem some apt complexes as 'adults only', and we were in one of them. I was six months' pregnant and he - though he denied it vehemently - was having an affair. He was taking a leave from work to attend a cooking course, and whilst there met a woman who was taking another class. The two hooked up and the affair began. It didn't take me long to realize what was going on, esp after I found out he'd signed up for some ballroom dance classes alone (he hated dancing). I called the dance studio and they confirmed that you couldn't join without a partner. After that there were just too many clues he left for me to ignore, and then a call from his cooking instructor one night, saying that Bob was 'friendly' with one of the other students, made me realize I could no longer live in denial. After that I found letters to him from her, and that followed with a confrontation, denial, then a promise that he was no longer seeing her, etc. However, his attitude toward me spoke more truth than his words; on the evenings he did come home - some nights he never bothered - he was cold and distant with me.

Anyway, I remember it was the 22nd or 23rd of December, and the staff at the hotel where he worked (and I had also once worked) was throwing a Christmas party. Bob said he had to go out that afternoon, but he'd be home by six, and since the party started at eight, we had plenty of time to get ready. I got dressed and put on the maternity outfit I'd bought for the party...a really nice velour black and gold set...and waited for him. And waited. And waited. And waited. He never did come home that night, and I spent the evening dressed up, looking forward to going out and seeing our friends...and instead put some decorations on the tree, crying while I did. My sister was at home at the time and she did her best to comfort me, but there really isn't a lot that people can do for someone who's heart has been broken.

Christmas eve turned out to be just as bad, with us having a huge fight when he announced he was going to go away for New Years' Eve and Day - going to a cabin with some buddies. (LOL...I knew where he was going, and with whom, and it wasn't his buddies from work.) But I do have to say that even in our darkest of times, there can be some laughter, and that happened to me Christmas morning. Mind you, I didn't laugh at the time, but in looking back it has given me a great many silent chuckles. On Christmas morning at my dad's, we all got up and came downstairs for coffee. Then Bob announced he had to go out and make a delivery for someone at the hardware store (he did side jobs for the store with our truck) and would be back in 20 minutes. When he finally returned a couple of hours later (not making a delivery, btw...he was out visiting 'someone') we were getting ready to exchange gifts. I was livid with Bob by then, but never said a word. We were standing in the kitchen, my sister at the stove, and Bob said to me, "Oh, you're going to love what I got you for Christmas, Di...it's special...you'll just love it!" In the meantime my sister, who was standing behind him, had this look of horror on her face and began shaking her head and mouthing, 'No you won't', no you won't'. Apparently he'd shown it to her before wrapping it.
So we went into the living room and began opening gifts. When were down to the last one or two, Bob handed his special gift to me. I looked at it, not wanting to even open it I was so upset, but he insisted I do...he seemed so excited about it. And for a brief moment I thought, maybe he does still love me, and maybe this is his way of saying, 'I'm sorry'. So I looked at him, then down at the gift in my lap, and unwrapped it.

Beneath the layers of tissue in that box was something I couldn't believe...I pulled it out and looked at it: a CGE electric carving knife. And two thoughts immediately came to mind:

How could anyone be so utterly stupid as him, to give a pregnant woman - on whom he's been cheating - a weapon?!?!!?

and

darn...the cord wasn't quite long enough to reach the outlet that sat behind me.

:p

(Sorry for the lengthy story, but it still makes me laugh to this day when I think about it.)

Justa quick bump because itis be getting to the most intense part of Christmas.

Hopefully we can support any one who needs it.

x

I have decided, a sure fire way to insure the holidays are pleasant, is to stuff the turkey with Zoloft and Paxil.

I absolutely cannot stand my mother-in-law.. to the point I am considering faux illness just to keep her the heck away from me.

Zin

GoinBackToCali wrote:
I have decided, a sure fire way to insure the holidays are pleasant, is to stuff the turkey with Zoloft and Paxil.

Ha ha, I have a ton of Zoloft. It would certainly make it mellow, lol, as would zopiclone.

Good luck with your MIL whether she comes or not. If she comes, I hope she doesn't ruin it for you.

This year I am kinda dreading it too a bit.

For one my sister is no longer with us anymore so I have to watch the kids open gifts without their mother this year. It is going to be hard.

Latest posts

Back