Does a rabbit's fur change as it ages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
I just got back from my vacation and when I picked Sabrina up from the bun-sitter I noticed that she has a large patch of fur on her back that is noticeably darker, coarser, and shorter than the rest of her fur. Most of her fur is light orange and very soft, and this patch has a lot more black mixed in (she is a tort). Is the orange her baby fur and the "new" patch is her adult fur? Is she going through her first molt (she is almost 6 months)?

Thanks!

i had pretty much the same thing happen to my rabbits and i asked about it on here and they said it was a molt. So im guessing thats just what it is.

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure that it is a molt now, I just picked her up off the bed and there was a huge pile of fur on the sheets and I was COVERED after just a few seconds of holding her.

Will her coat ever go back to her soft coat, or now that she is an adult it will always be coarser?

Our boy Darwin is just having his first moult but he is headed the opposite way...he is a Japanese Harleqin and he started off all bright orange and black and now he looks more like a washed out orange! We started calling him our snow bunny...he looks so white compared to what he used too! lol

Danielle

Is that a Holland Lop you're talking about?! Then, Yes!! He had an all black nose within like 3 days. It was weird, I did start a thread on here about it, you'd have to go back so far to find it, hardly any responses, if I recall. But, yes, with some breeds, it seems to be normal.:D

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
I just Is the orange her baby fur and the "new" patch is her adult fur? Is she going through her first molt (she is almost 6 months)?

Thanks!
A breeder should really answer this, but from the experience I've had, the undercoat is what "molts" mostly. Shedding is normally the outter. That's why the molt looks as bad as it does.:) I know what you mean, when I pull hair off the buns while in molt, it's white or blonde, depending on which bun, but yes the undercoat...:p

Thanks everyone! She is still in full molt mode....I have dust-busted the bun room twice already today! I have also started to notice her head getting darker like you said AngelnSnuffy, and she is a Holland Lop.
Most of what she is molting is pretty light so who knows what she will end up to look like!

Oh, I think I can get some pics for you of a holland molt!:p

Ok, have to share just a few cute ones first:

Here is a molt pic:

See the "line" down his lower side? Those lines will vary with the different areas of the moulting stages. Yes, it comes out blonde, haha, as it's the "undercoat".

See his coloring? But, oh yeah, I got all freaked out when his nose started turning black, haha.:bunnydance:

You could also check out the Library here, I think we have a moult thread.;)

Thanks AngelnSnuffy those pictures definitely confirm that she is in a molt. I can see the line on her back, and she already had a brown nose but its "growing" these days and she has developed darker rings around her eyes. I wonder what she will turn out to look like!?!?!?!

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
Thanks AngelnSnuffy those pictures definitely confirm that she is in a molt. I can see the line on her back, and she already had a brown nose but its "growing" these days and she has developed darker rings around her eyes. I wonder what she will turn out to look like!?!?!?!

Aww, I'm so glad those helped!:D

Yeah, it's hard to say, just take lots of pics of her! Too cute and is her younger years, she will likely change in the face. Then you will be able to tell a tude from a mile away, haha!:p

Yes it will definitely be and adventure! When I have some time I will try to make a photo timeline for everyone to see. She looks pretty funny right now but I am sure it will all even out eventually.

Latest posts

Back