Doe was due on the 25th of November

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I had several does due to kindle end of November. It's now mid-December and I have ONE showing nesting behavior!

I was feeding and watering the other day and observed my rather fat doe burrowing into her hay (I have all the cages packed with extra hay because of the weather) and jumping about with big mouthfuls of it. She seems a bit confused as to what she's doing, she'll make a nest (and hide in it when I come to water, very unlike her) then destroy it and make a different one. No fur-pulling, just burrowing/nesting. She's usually more of a: "TOUCH ME AND DO IT NOW" bunny then a "OMG HIDE" bunny. Really odd!

The buck I have is fine, big lovely boy who bred multiple times with success. I have a pair of kits from him (not bred by me) who are quite lovely. Does are big and healthy, not overweight, but properly plump. Everything seemed to be a success! :?

I read that wild rabbits stop breeding between October and February. Perhaps this is the issue? It's been getting progressively colder here, but we did have some nice months after the horrid heat (no babies, different buck even).

Anyone else having problems with does not taking? I haven't gotten a single litter this year. Started buying buns again in August I think it was, not so much as a peanut! :(

Everyone is outside, but as I said, LOADS of extra hay. Several inches on the bottom and packed well around the sides. Plus tarps. Supplemented daily, lovely plush winter coats, normal eating habits, regular poop, etc.

Perhaps next year!

I think you need to just keep trying. Finally with all of mine I kept taking them to the buck in rotation. I had 3 does go to the one buck, and 2 to my other buck, and I kept rotating them out. I finally got my litters.

and when I put straw in for everyone. Only my rabbits who couldn't have babies made nests. Everyone else wasted it. (some were due the nest day or two)..... but my 3 month old made a lovely nest, and my one buck has his cage padded very well.

Latest posts

Back