Doe nested... but no babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelodyM

Reaction score
Breed: NZ White
(Pictured as my user icon)

My doe has had three litters before with no problems. This time, I bred her on Apr. 11 and she started nesting the first week of May. On May 12 I left for a week but had my sister feed and watch her. She usually kindled on the 31st day at the latest.
No babies. I came back and checked her and her cage: no signs of a miscarriage or dead babies, no stink, nothing. Doe acts perfectly normal as if nothing happened. She doesn't care about the nest box either; I dug around in there and she didn't try to fix it up again.

Does anyone have any idea what happened (or didn't happen)??

The two differences in this pregnancy from all others is 1. she is in a barn and not outside like before, and 2. we store a work truck in the barn next to her (it goes in and out every day-- and no, it's not a diesel).

:anyone:

Thank you,
Melody

Perhaps a false pregnancy? Can you palpate and feel any kits? I know my does will ignore the nest if not pregnant. Haven't experienced a false pregnancy yet, but I've read they can pull fur but not have any kits. Sorry I'm not much help lol

she simply may have missed. Some does do this. Breed, act preggers, make a nest and then nothing. It's "go figure" and try again. :)

OK, I thought since she nested she was for sure pregnant... so there's no risk of her dying if I try again? I think I'll save the cost of going to a vet today-- he'll probably tell me the same thing you did!

Thank you both for your help!

Agree with above. I have had some does even pull fur but no babies. We just take out the box and save the fur for when its needed.

Latest posts

Back