doe misscarries one week from due date

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liddellsbunbuns

Reaction score
forget any miss-spellings i am typing this quickly in hopes some one is on right now to help me. I bought a bred mini rex doe 2 days after she was bred. everything was going great until tonight when I went to check on her and discovered 2 dead kits (she was due aug 28th). what should I do...I removed the dead babies but is there anything else? I will be checking around for info but please if you could help me? thanks so much.

I have been checking around and cant find too much info, i did do a very gentle palpation and I am sure I felt at least 1 more kit (I stopped as soon as I felt it). Is it possible she could carry that kit to term? or will she misscarry that too? Thanks so much for your time everyone..I know its late.

If she doesn't already have a nestbox, give her one just in case she has more babies.
I believe it is possible that she could carry the other babies and deliver them on time if they aren't already dead. Hopefully she will have the other kits on time.

Also, make sure there are no disturbances in her area. She needs to be in a place that is as quiet and comfortable as possible. If there is anything you know of that could be causing her such a discomfort that she would abort her babies, see that they are taken care of. i.e. any loud or strange noises, if she is outside then any other animals that could bother her, or any other things that may be stressing her out.

lelanatty wrote:
If she doesn't already have a nestbox, give her one just in case she has more babies.
I believe it is possible that she could carry the other babies and deliver them on time if they aren't already dead. Hopefully she will have the other kits on time.

Also, make sure there are no disturbances in her area. She needs to be in a place that is as quiet and comfortable as possible. If there is anything you know of that could be causing her such a discomfort that she would abort her babies, see that they are taken care of. i.e. any loud or strange noises, if she is outside then any other animals that could bother her, or any other things that may be stressing her out.
I just gave her the nest box. There are no disturbances that I am aware of she is in a room at the far end of our house were we keep our rabbits. (caged of course) Its nice a quiet down there. Could heat cause it? I live in CA and its hot. I have the ac going and I dont let it get above 80 in the house.... I am clueless as to what could have caused it...poor mama :(

Liddellsbunbuns wrote:
I just gave her the nest box. There are no disturbances that I am aware of she is in a room at the far end of our house were we keep our rabbits. (caged of course) Its nice a quiet down there. Could heat cause it? I live in CA and its hot. I have the ac going and I dont let it get above 80 in the house.... I am clueless as to what could have caused it...poor mama :(

If sh came from a colder climate then the heat could have caused it.

Is this her first litter?

lelanatty wrote:
Liddellsbunbuns wrote:

If sh came from a colder climate then the heat could have caused it.

Is this her first litter?
she came from the next town over and she was in a barn outside, its not her first litter, I looked at the breeders page she had 2 for sure before. last one was a single doe and the one before that was 6 but only one made it? didnt not say how the others died. I wrote her and am waiting to hear back from her. I am googling miscarriages and having term kits after but not really coming up with anything. And of course all my rabbit friends on facebook are not on. Figures it would happen now... she is acting great though, eatting and drinking, she is checking out the nest box a bit but not really making a nest yet or pulling fur.

Liddellsbunbuns wrote:
Just checked on her, she is out of the nest box laying on her side, head up and panting hard...???
never mind she is up and moving around fine now...I am not going to get much sleep tonight. Thanks for your help so far Lela. :)

I'm not sure what that could mean. My mini rex does that after he has overexhausted himself by running back and forth in his cage begging for attention. Maybe checking out the nestbox has made her tired? Again, not really sure.

Just checked on her (Im a worry wort) she was laying down comfy and relaxed and I see movement in her belly. Not contractions I am sure, I have 3 kids so I know the difference LOL. When is the earliest she can have them safely? So I know what to shoot and pray for. (this reminds me of the stress with my first son, he was preterm baby with premature labor scares for 2 months before that)

Just hope that she has the rest of them on her due date. From what I have heard if does give birth early it is usually only about 2, maybe at most 3 days early. Glad to hear she is doing good.

Well 7ish am (lol) and so far, so good she is eating, drinking and acting normal. When she lays down I can still see that little one moving...when I palpated last night it was higher up in the lower abdomen so hopefully that is a good sign.

I was thinking...if a women pregnant with twins can miscarry one and go on to have a normal, healthy birth and baby with the other twin...could it be the same for animals then? I hope so...

She is:biggrin: I was/am so excited for this litter b/c dad is a bkn red...I was hoping for a charlie to breed to my harli MR to get all tri (my harli the niece to my tri. very hard to find tri breeders in CA and alot that I have found around the country do not ship and I cant go to nationals this year.

Latest posts

Back