Doe is having an extremely hard time giving birth,.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNM

Reaction score
I have a black otter doe. Day 34 for her was yestrday, and she started to pass a kit. The kit was breached and it was hanging halfway out. I didn't eant to break her sac so I left her alone. She eneded up ripping half of the baby and now the head is stuck in the birth canal.

This is a race against time. I'm afraid she will die of toxin poison if I don't get the head out. It's stopping her from deleviring the other three.. is there a way for me to get the head out?

This will most likely require a trip to the vet for surgery. We've had it happen a couple times, and it's nearly impossible to get them out once they've ripped apart.

Took her to two vets. The first vet peeved me off and basically said the babies would just dissapear!!! That's the problem she's probly dying of decay poisoining right now.

I took her to a second vet. She said the babes were already too far deteriorated, and that the best thing would be to put her down. My goodness, I almost cried. Juliet looked so bad by then. I didn't want to put her down, but she looked like she was in so much pain.

Only one good thing came out of this. Her pairing buck, Mickey, was about to be sold as we no longer had Juliet to breed him to. Turns out a major fluke in breeding, showed me that he is beneficial to our Red program.

That is a shame, I had a rabbit retain a baby a long time ago(about 15 years). they gave her an antibiotic and IV fluids and as the baby deteriorated it came out. It was gross but my doe was fine, I couldn't breed her for 2 months but she went on to have several healthy litters.
I swear the vets of today are becoming big sissys, if the animal costs less than $500 to replace they just don't care.(my vet is an exception to that rule)

Latest posts

Back