Doe in heat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherber12

Reaction score
I've had my bunny Roxy for 2 weeks now. Until 2 days ago she had never pooped or peed outside her litter box. Now she is leaving pellets everywhere and even spraying urine. I know that rabbits don't go into heat like cats or dogs, but she's going into something, lol. She's circling my feet, she makes this little 'meep' noise before jumping on me. She constantly wants to sit on my lap while I am watching TV or playing on the computer. If I stop petting her even for a moment she makes the little noise again. If I still don't respond she starts biting and digging at my clothes. It's becoming a battle, I keep fighting her off and putting her back on the ground but she just jumps back up over and over. She won't leave me alone, lol. I have to put her back in her cage to get alone time but I don't like locking her up if I am home.

Anyway, my question is how long will this last? Will she snap out of it or do does stay like this until they are bred or spayed? I am planning on getting her spayed after the holidays but if this doesn't let up I'll have to scramble and get the money together soon.

And while on the subject of spaying, anyone know of any rabbit savy vets in Sherbrooke, Quebec??

She will stay like this until she is bred )in wich case, it would just start again) or until she is spayed, then it shouldnt happen again. She probably wont snap out of it, its normal teenage doe behaviour.

Doe's receptivity varies throughout the month, so it's possible her behavior will taper off.

Pam

She hasn't assaulted me yet this morning so maybe she's cooling her jets :p -- or she's mad at me for refusing her advances...

Hopefully this has passed for at least a little while, it's quite disconcerting getting sexual advances from a bunny :?

But you're her love! At least she's not going after the dog ;) Then I think he would be even more upset! She isn't spayed yet? After a spay that attitude should calm down, until then, just try to enjoy your over-"affectionate" bunny :)

lol, the little monster is taking advantage of me :)

nah, she isn't spayed yet. the adoption cost at the SPCA here is 8$ for rabbits so they obviously don't... i am getting her spayed after the holidays, i'm just trying to find a rabbit savy vet -- i just moved to this city a few months ago so i haven't met any other rabbit folks. i emailed the SPCA to see if they had any recommendations but i doubt it. i'll be contacting the rabbit breeders in the area to see who they use but then i saw they were advertising "bunnies as christmas presents" so i'm not feeling them either *sigh*

The House Rabbit Society (HRS) has a list of rabbit savvy vets, I believe. Here is the link to the page = http://rabbit.org/vets/vets.html The Canadian ones are below the US ones (backwards page, eh? lol) There is a lot of good reading on that site, too. They have a lot of articles on health, behavior, and other helpful rabbit topics. Happy reading! :)

Ouch. Have you tried just looking them up in the phone book? Call any vet that is listed (that is close). Ask them if they work with rabbits. Make sure they work with (and understand!) rabbits. There is a questionnaire somewhere about what to ask a vet... I will see if I can find it!

Here it is. It was also on the HRS website :) http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html It's not much of a questionnaire, but it tells you what to look for? It helped me out a bit! I hope this helps you, too!

Do we get a photo update of Roxy soon? ;)

Sakura goes into this "sexual advance" mode every few months and she's been spayed, so I don't know why she does it. She runs around my feet buzzing, raising her bum in the air for me, trying to hump my feet, the works! The nipping, and lots more grooming.

Crazy buns :p.

How is Roxy today? Is she calming down at all?

That's good that it is better now! My English lop buck used to chase me, my sister, and our friend around the rabbitry so he could hump out feet:shock:. He even chased our friend out of the rabbitry once. He just never gave up! Even if you stood on something he would try to get to you.

Now that he is passed his baby days (he did this when he hit puberty) he hasn't done it. Only I think once in the past several months. He has tried to hump our cats also:biggrin2:thats a site in itself!! lol

Latest posts

Back