Doe being protective of her nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
I've never had this before, but I have a doe that's due in a week, and she has built a nest and is getting very protective of it. If I put my hand into her run she's fine, but if I go near her house, she goes into the house and tries to scratch my hand (like when I'm putting her food into her house).

Do does usually calm down once they have the kits or get worse? I want to handle the kits, but I'm thinking I'll have to move her somewhere else first!

Do they get used to you handling the kits, and do they calm down once the kits are running around?

She's a really sweet bunny normally, and she still is but not if I go near the nest! :)

I had a doe that was so protective of her litter I had to remove her before I could handle anything in her cage...even feed her. She would calm back down after the babies were weaned but I was a little put off because she was a very big rabbit. They say that usually means she will be a good mom...but in my case not so much. Just a grouch lol

Take this w/ a grain of salt since this is my first litter experience, and as you saw by the pics, I have a HUGE doe.

She was VERY grumpy around 2 weeks gestation, but after a few days, she went back to her calm, sweet self. I blamed hormones and it also told me she was indeed bred. She didn't start building her nest until the day she was due, but then didn't kindle until the following evening.

Before she kindled she didn't like me invading her nestbox/bedroom at all. I'd get both front feet and the death look, so I took the hint and left her alone if she was in there.

After kindling, she's really been pretty good about my baby checks, but lately, I've been letting her out for playtime while I do the check, that way I simply don't have to worry about her. This seems to work well. When she's done playing, I put her away and she's great in the main part of her cage. I also give her treats for being a good bun bun. I do this twice a day.

I think she'll be much better once the kits are older and start eating bunny food and hay. Then she doesn't have to worry about them as much either. She's a pretty laid back girl which helps.

Hope that helps and good luck w/ the upcoming litter!! Hope you post pics!

I had a holland lop that made a lion look like a kitten. After the babies were weaned and gone she was fine. But right before she'd kindle she was a beast. and that lasted for weeks.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
I had a holland lop that made a lion look like a kitten. After the babies were weaned and gone she was fine. But right before she'd kindle she was a beast. and that lasted for weeks.

LOL a beastly bunny.

It just depends on the rabbit. The Mini Rex I have now is almost 4 weeks pregnant, and she grunts and throws a fit when pick her up...started theday after I bred her.

The Holland lop I had, wasn't aggressive, she would just be in the way everytime I went in her hutch to do anything. I didn't bother her all day, and the moment I decide to check on the babes she decides to feed them and clean them and wouldn't move out of the box until I left

I moved her to the shed yesterday (just to be more sheltered and warm for the babies) and I was scared picking her up in case she bit me or something, but she was fine. She then hopped around the shed, sweet as could be, as is being really friendly, but not if I go near the nest :p (I moved her little house she had out in her run into the shed too so she still has her nest).

She's due soon so I'll just have to see how it goes :)

Latest posts

Back