Doe and baby dead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy05

Reaction score
Last weekend my 2 baby males were livingtogether quite happily, until something went wrong and a fight brokeout. They were seperated immediatly, but a couple days later the onemale passed away. He had been taken to the vet right away but afterhaving a complete exam, sub-que fluids, and an antibiotic treatment, hepassed away. After telling my to young kids, and trying to help them tounderstand, we had another incedent. This one was even more unexpected.Atleast with the male we had just believed that he passed from thefight, however on Friday when I went to the cages and saw my doe,Dandy, I was in complete SHOCK. At first I thought she was justsleeping in a 'dead bunny flop' position. Unfortunatly what I foundreally was a dead bunny. I had not seen any signs that would have mademe think that something was wrong, or if I had she would have been offto the vet as well. But there was NOTHING. Only after I found her, Isaw some dirrehea on the top level of her bunny condo, and see waslaying on the lower level in the corner by her water bottle, her eyeswere wide open, but she was already sift. She did have her youngdaughter in the cage with her, and even Penny was looking confused.(Penny is the baby duaghters name) She was over beside Dandy, buttingher with her nose, and trying to groom her. Dandy's back feet weredirty with fecal material, but her bottom was fine, she was not messythere. I just don't know what happened or what to do. Do Ineed to still be concered for the baby male that we still have here? Heis now living upstairs in the main living area of the house. Anythought would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

sorry to hear about the buns! i thinkit is the right thing to do to move the baby bun inside and give himlots and lots and lots of love. is he weaned yet?

I don't know how to help with you with this butit really is sad. I also don't know who you mean by the young male???Is that the male that survived the fight?
How old is Penny? Is she already weaned ? If not then you will have tofeed her yourself. You should be able to get info off health resources.

I would bring both of them in the house. I just think that they get more attention when in the house.

So very sorry for :hug:you.

Sorry, I did miss some info on my message.

Dandy is/was the mom of the litter. She had three kits, 2 male, and 1female, (actually 5, but 2 were still born). At the time of all ofthis, all kits were about 4 1/2 months. DOB sept.13'06. This all justhappened in the lastweek or so. One male passed away from what Ithought was a result of the fight. Oh, and before I go any farther, allbabies and mom have always been inside the house. They were downstairs.So the long haired male is the one who passed on, the second male isstill with us, and is now living upstairs in the corner of the kitchen.Penny, the female has 'moved out' and was adopted out to anotherfamily. All three of the babies were going to be adopted out, howeverthings have now changed, and since Dandy has also passed away, we willbe keeping the surviving male, 'Squirmy'. ( Kids named him,LOL,althought as a deaf and blind kit, he was super squirmy when we wouldtouch him, and even once he could see) . So now to answer theother questions, yes the babes are weaned. Hopefully now this will helpsome of you help me to figure out what may have happened, if you needany onther info, please let me know. Thanks again.

I don't know why Dandy died but if you found diarrhea she could have had enteritis which is very often fatal.
I had 2 neutered males who escaped from their separate areas and foughtall night (over a year ago). I found one male lying on thefloor in a dead bunny flop in a state of shock. He was alive, eyesopened but limp. He was not physically injured but "Almost scared todeath". I had just joined this forum so the members helped methrough the entire day with him. I held him all day and talked to him.It took hours for him to come out of shock and then he had aterrible bout of GI stasis brought on from stress. He came out of itbut I worked hard for about 2 weeksto keep him going. He islying down behind me at this moment so he is just fine.

It occurs to me that maybe your male bunny died from stress and fear.

Iwould keep a close eye on the bunnythat was in with the mom that died.there are some cases of diahhreathat are contagious.Im soo sorry that you lost your bunnys.bluebird

Latest posts

Back