Doc & Dora to Doc & Aurora

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That magic castle place sounds amazing. Is it expensive? I love getting dressed up every once in awhile for special things like that. I don't get to do that very often anymore since having my son.

I definitely would recommend having two people for a car ride. You might want to start out with two carriers and then start the ride and you ride in the back and your husband (haha kidding boyfriend) can drive. Sometimes even a cardboard or a rubbermaid tub with a towel in it so you have full access to them from the top.

I am surprised of the bonding troubles since their date went so good. Keep at it. I think they will bond it will just take time.

Hahaha, Lisa, you totally got me with the husband/boyfriend joke! Luke and I are unfortunately long distance right now, though, so I'd have to find us another driver. My roommate is rarely home, and I'd have to find someone willing to do it several days in a row. Could I do the same sort of scenario with my vacuum running nearby? Doc really doesn't mind the vacuum at all, but Rory hates it. I don't know if their different opinions of it would make it ineffective. It's my spring break now, I was really hoping to have them ready to travel together so I could go home to my parents' for part of the week! It's no big deal since they're just an hour away and I can go by myself for a day trip, but I wanted them to meet Rory.

I'm surprised at their bonding troubles, too. So was Aurora's foster mom, she had nothing but positive things to say about her and said she never showed any aggression towards other rabbits when in her house. I am determined because I can tell Doc really wants a friend at this point, and I refuse to deal with two litter boxes indefinitely. :p Trying to keep my determination as a positive attitude instead of letting it allow me to rush things.

The Magic Castle was amazing! I'm a little sad now since I had been looking forward to it and now it's over. It was pretty expensive.. Altogether I spent around $300, which is not my typical gifting budget for the boyfriend, but I've been getting a lot of "extra" income gigging around LA and teaching. It was $25 a person for entry, and we got fancy dinner and drinks all night. I figure I usually don't splurge on things like that, and we were all dressed up for a once in a life time sort of thing, so why not? Hahaha. Definitely only purchasing essential items for the next couple of weeks, though.

Hahaha, Lisa, you totally got me with the husband/boyfriend joke! Luke and I are unfortunately long distance right now, though, so I'd have to find us another driver. My roommate is rarely home, and I'd have to find someone willing to do it several days in a row. Could I do the same sort of scenario with my vacuum running nearby? Doc really doesn't mind the vacuum at all, but Rory hates it. I don't know if their different opinions of it would make it ineffective. It's my spring break now, I was really hoping to have them ready to travel together so I could go home to my parents' for part of the week! It's no big deal since they're just an hour away and I can go by myself for a day trip, but I wanted them to meet Rory.

I'm surprised at their bonding troubles, too. So was Aurora's foster mom, she had nothing but positive things to say about her and said she never showed any aggression towards other rabbits when in her house. I am determined because I can tell Doc really wants a friend at this point, and I refuse to deal with two litter boxes indefinitely. :p Trying to keep my determination as a positive attitude instead of letting it allow me to rush things.

The Magic Castle was amazing! I'm a little sad now since I had been looking forward to it and now it's over. It was pretty expensive.. Altogether I spent around $300, which is not my typical gifting budget for the boyfriend, but I've been getting a lot of "extra" income gigging around LA and teaching. It was $25 a person for entry, and we got fancy dinner and drinks all night. I figure I usually don't splurge on things like that, and we were all dressed up for a once in a life time sort of thing, so why not? Hahaha. Definitely only purchasing essential items for the next couple of weeks, though.

Trust me the more you take your time with the bond, the better! I had some awesome dates with my two yesterday, just keep at it!

I love that first picture of Doc, he is so cute and the one of them both, they obviously adored each other.

Snowy is a year and three months same a Houdini and Bandy will be one mid April. Snowy´s as big as he´ll get and he´s just less than a kilo so he is really small.

Well everyone, I have some encouraging news! Today I decided to try a scary car ride with Doc and Aurora. (I guess I should've mentioned "spoiler alert" before that second part. :p) I figured since every date was immediately erupting into fights no matter how many days or weeks between, I should just try something new. I have honestly been really nervous to try again with the way I had been trying things before, and while I would prefer not to stress them, it seems like a good option to move them on at this point. Since Luke is back in San Diego, my friends Alex and Gloria came to chauffeur and provide moral support. We drove around for about 25 minutes with the buns in their carrier. I had been debating on whether to use a box or their carrier, and decided on carrier even though so many people recommend boxes instead. I felt that the biggest thing Aurora's been having problems with during their dates is seeing Doc move about, (another reason why I went ahead with the car ride technique), and in a box with no lid, he'd definitely try and pop his head over. So I went with the carrier to keep them both more stationary. Before we left I had set up a small pen in the kitchen (neutral area), so once we got home, I put the carrier in and opened the door. They sat in there for about 20 minutes, and then after that, I popped the top of the carrier off and petted them both for about one minute, and then put them away. There was no grooming, as they were sitting bunny bum to face, but Doc did make a couple teeth chattery purrs even without my petting them. I was so happy with how they did, even though nothing really happened! Now that I know they can make it in the carrier for a bit, I might try putting them on top of a dryer.. I need to do some laundry, anyway!

Rory's foster mom, as well as several online resources, recommend that you give the buns a good amount of time after the car ride/stressing takes place. I've heard everything from an hour to a few hours! I didn't really want to push Doc and Rory very far today, and I felt the 20 minutes they spend together de-stressing in the carrier was plenty. Definitely didn't want to push my luck. Should I expand their pen for next time? Just let them out in my bathroom?

Thanks to everyone for their continued support!

Chris, D&D really did love each other. It's during the tough bonding times with Aurora that I miss Dora more, but remembering how well she and Doc got along and how much time they spent together helps me stay positive. And tonight's car ride helped!

I'm glad to hear that the car ride went well, I think it was a good idea to keep it reasonably short afterwards, that way, since there was only positive afterwards, they'll hopefully remember that for next time. Hooray for the good news, any bit of progress is fantastic.

I'm glad the car ride went so well! That must have been super nerve racking! I also agree in keeping it short after the rides, because they have to stressed and you don't want to stress them TOO much!
I'm glad that there is some progress being made! I'm excited for you.

I'm in the same boat with keeping it short after the rides. However, I found with my buns, after stress bonding, it made their bond worse because Hippo was really out of his comfort zone and he's a real grump! Even last night he just was not feeling it and grunting at EVERYTHING, even his toys as he was playing :p

Glad to hear it went well though! How often are you planning on stress bonding them?

Yes stressing doesnt always work with every bun but it sounds like it did for you. Splendid!! I love success stories!!

I think that article i referred you to say to keep it short after stressing so I would recommend that too. Stressing is already alot for them to handle so I wouldn't push it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you everyone! I was hesitant to try because having to stress them also stresses me out, but did feel this was the best next approach for them. I was also thinking, "Ahhh, I hope everyone on RO doesn't think I'm a bad person for stressing!"

I just came back from our second attempt, also a success! I'm doing laundry, so I popped them into the carrier and then onto the running dryer. They were there for maybe 12 minutes, and I liked this better than the car because I was able to open the door every couple of minutes and pet each of them. Afterward, I placed the carrier in the small pen in the kitchen again and opened the door. Like the first time, neither of them came out. Their heads were a little closer together, but not in a position for face grooms. They just sat for maybe 10-12 minutes, I saw Doc purr a little bit once, then Aurora started to seem a little restless. (Grooming her own face, shaking her head a little, trying to look around.) I didn't want to push it, so I removed the top of the carrier and petted them for a minute at most, then put them back in their cages where they both got fed some greens.

So far it has just been the two times with one day of no stressing in between. I have another load of laundry I can do tonight about 12 hours after this attempt, would that be too soon? They don't seem too bothered by it once I put them back in their cages, they both resume normal activities within five minutes or so. I am also unsure of opening the top of their carrier after the stressing, which would encourage them to exit the carrier more, but I'm still wary of Rory's reaction. Also would like to try offering treats to them together after stressing, but am worried of any territorial reactions to who gets which vegetable!

Last edited:
Sounds as though they´re doing OK, I´m really pleased. I misread it the first time, I thought you´d put them in the dryer haha. I realised you then had them in the carrier on the top...what an idiot I am.

I think that if the first time went well then try it again even though it´s only 12 hours later if it works for you.

I´m keeping my fingers crossed for these two.

I don't think twice a day is too much! In fact, if they seem to be handling it well, you can go for multiple times a day w/o worries in short increments :)

Glad to hear it's getting better though! Bonding is so stressful!

Follow your gut, you kmow your buns the best. But hmmm, I wonder if 12 hours might be too soon? The only reason I say that is during dating the most common advice is to start off with 1 date a day. With stressing I would think the same would apply? Especially since stressing is alot for them to handle anyway. But if you think they re handling it well it's your call. We aren't there to see how they are.

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and input! Any time something positive happens, I can't wait to share with you all. :)

I ended up not stressing again tonight. I really don't want to push them like I did when Rory first got home, that got them off on a bad foot. And I feel a little badly for Doc having to be stressed. Not that I don't feel for Rory as well, but he's the one that's totally up for the bond and wouldn't have to go through this dryer nonsense if she cut out the aggression! I'm trying not to let it get me down and see the positives - D&D bonded fairly easily, guess it's my turn for a more difficult one! And I am learning a lot about each individual rabbit by seeing them just on their own, which wouldn't necessarily happen in the same way if they got along right off the bat.. Ugh. I'm just remembering how D&D were together and how you could tell they loved each other. They would snuggle so often in their box in their cage. If they were out and one was flopped somewhere, the other would flop next to or directly in front of or behind them. And whenever I petted one, the other would run up and put their head down as well! It was too adorable.

I won't have time to have the buns help me with my laundry tomorrow as I am going to Disneyland! And also CA Adventure, someone gave my mom a free park hopper pass. Best way to do Disney is free! I'll end up spending an arm and a leg for food anyway. Also, I really want to get something Doc (Seven Dwarves) and something Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). Maybe two little figurines to put randomly in my living room so I can see who gets my joke. ;)

It just occurred to me that sometimes I shorten Rory to Ro or Ro-Ro, and that's basically the forum's abbreviation, RO! Bahaha. Sometimes I also call her Roo or Rory-Roo, a twist on Dora's pet name Boo. (I accidentally called her that a couple of times and felt really strange about it.) Funny, I shorten Aurora's name for nicknames and Doc gets called things like Dockaroo and Dockaroodle. :p

Chris - I kept thinking I had accidentally typed "in the dryer"! I posted a picture to my facebook of the carrier on the dryer this morning and was hoping no one would think I eventually put them in.

Michelle - Bonding is really stressful! After I came up from the laundry room this morning and put the open carrier into the pen, I laid on the floor to look in the little door and didn't realize I was hardly breathing! I want to avoid a fight again at all costs and feel like I'm walking on eggshells every time they're together.

Lisa - I am following my gut, but them sometimes think I am second guessing my gut because I am nervous and don't want to push things. I like to do things in groups of three (wow, that sounds really OCD!) so maybe on the fourth stressing day, I'll take the top of the carrier off right when it goes into the pen. Baby steps!

Oh I can't tell you how many times I would second guess myself. It's hard, I know.

My thought process was always to go slower rather than too fast. Because i would think to myself....rushing things could potentially go negative/cause a fight. But going too slow usually won't. So I always erred on the side of caution. It's the way I work anyway......I'm a cautious worry wart person :)

Have fun at disnelyland! I'm jelly. Seems odd to just be able to go there one day. For us it's like a big deal/vacation thing. Haha.

Post pictures!

It´s good that you´re getting to know you buns as individuals before they become a couple.

It is amazing what names we call our bunnies, I sometimes call them real weird things, sort of rhyming slang of their names rather like yours. I think we all have little pet names for them. I call mine Snooby dooby or Bandy dandy or Houdi mcdoody. Now I see them written down, it is a bit weird haha.

It was funny that it was just the way I read it, I didn´t for one minute think you´d put them in the dryer but it just made me laugh.

Hope you have a great day at Disneyland, sounds really good. I think you ought to buy a memento for your two...I, of course, love the name Doc, it´s what my brother used to get called when he was younger. It would be fun to see who understands your private joke. Great idea :thumbup

I think its pretty awesome that you can just go to Disneyland too! Disneyworld is closer to me and like Lisa said, its like this huge deal, this mega vacation and its several thousand dollars to go and do that! Its CRAZY expensive! (too bad, I'm pretty cheap and my son will probably never experience Disneyworld because I won't want to pay the prices! LOL)

I think it would be pretty interesting to have two buns, to see how they are different and how they're individual rabbits. Not that I would get a second rabbit, because I can't handle that, but its interesting to hear you guys talk about how they're all so different!

Oh man, we had a great time at Disney and CA Adventure, but were the rabbits itching to get out this morning or whaaat! It is now the afternoon, and Aurora is going insane out here when she'd normally just be chilling in the cardboard box. I always feel guilty when I go do something fun and it cuts down bunny time for a day, as I know we all do, but really, our rabbits do live a good life.

Sadly, they did not have little glass figurines! I asked the guy in the shop. They had crystal ones that were like $2384923048230, but no normal glass ones. They used to several years ago when I was in middle school - I had an annual pass for a couple years and went through a phase where I'd get a little glass figure of a character from Winnie the Pooh each time I went. Maybe I'll look online, because now I really want some! I was looking forward to taking pics for you guys, with each rabbit and their little glass figure. :p

I miss Disneyland being a huge vacation, but it is nice to be able to go for a day and not stress about getting everything done at once. We used to live in northern California, so my first two Disney trips were vacations. I was about five the first time, eight the second. If you guys ever take your families, I would definitely advise to wait until your kid can walk around for an extended time - strollers there are THE WORST. I almost got mowed down so many times yesterday. Also I always wonder if the families with small children are even enjoying their day. I mean, the stroller kids and NEW BORNS are too young to remember things, and the parents are all stressed from walking around with their kids all day. Anyway, much more fun when the kids and parents can actually enjoy it together. I've been to Disneyworld once, it's fun. But Disneyland is a classic, and there are only the two parks here vs. the, what, dozen or so over there? To me Disneyland would be the better vacation. It is expensive, but you wouldn't really need a whole week to do everything, and there are lots of other places to stay besides the Disney hotels.

I'm going to try the buns on the dryer again today, if I can get my lazy bum off the couch. So far I've been doing it with a day of rest in between, I might step it up. They might even get to the point where the carrier = stress, so hopefully I can start just putting them in carrier and playing the radio or something for a few minutes and then putting them in the pen. I really don't know what my next step would be.

Great to see you had a good day but shame about the figurines, i´m sure you´ll find them somewhere.

I also think it´s not a good idea to go there with kids who are too young to enjoy the experience, seems much better when they get to an age where they can walk and explore and enjoy and remember, and yes, parents would stress much less.

I think we all agree that guilt kicks in when play time for bunnies is reduced. When I have longer days in the summer, I feel so bad when they´re only out for 4 or 5 hours instead of 8-10 some days in the winter even though they spend a great amount of that time just chilling out or sleeping in their favourite places.

Keep going with their bonding, I´m sure you´re making progress, who said it was ever going to be easy but when they´re cuddling together, you´ll know it was all worth while :)

It just cracks me up how there are some parents there plowing through crowds with double strollers and one of them holding a newborn and the mom is pregnant and all the kids screaming and crying. No one is having fun, and the other guests hate you because you don't care you're running over their toes with your stroller. This makes it sound like I hate kids, but I definitely want kids sometime in the future. I just want my kid's first Disney experience to be remembered by them and remembered fondly by me!

Chris, have you ever been to any of the Disney parks in Europe? I don't even know how many/where they are!

More rabbit stuff since I'm spending a lot of time with them today.. They both go insane when Doc is out. I know I mentioned the incessant bar-chewing awhile back, it is still happening and Doc is NOT letting up. It is driving me up the wall. He's chewing at the ex-pen, trying to throw his litter box around while he's out. All the while, Aurora is chewing at the bars of HER cage and going more crazy than normal on wooden sticks and these blocks of wood fastened to one of the bars. I don't know if Doc just really wants to get out and see her or what. They don't make this fuss when they're right next to each other in their respective cages! Aurora rarely chews at the ex-pen while she's out, and Doc doesn't seem to notice she's not in the space next to him anymore. I tell you, these guys are crazy.

I'm going to visit my parents tomorrow as they'll be watching my younger cousins for the weekend and we can all hang out for the day. My cousins aren't super young, about 12 and 14. I wish the buns were a little farther along in their bonding process as the drive would probably be good for them. (It's just under an hour.) It'd be great to have them at my parents', too, because it'd be easy to find a neutral area to set up their pen. I'd only bring them if previous stressing sessions led to them actually hanging out in the pen together for awhile, but so far they've just been mutually hanging out in the carrier and not even leaving to explore the pen. Still, there have been no negative steps, so that's a good thing.

Latest posts

Back