Do you need to clip a rabbits nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cluckin'Bunny

Reaction score
If so, how often? And what clippers should you use? :) Thank you!

Thank you!

Apollo’s nails are too long due to his old owners never cutting them in the year that they had him! So his quick (the blood vessel) has overgrown, making it hard to cut.
So his nails get trimmed about every month or so.
Our vet cuts his nails so I’m not sure what clipper he uses. But generally the pet ones are good. The size will depend on the breed of rabbit and how big they are. I don’t think a Netherland will have the same clipper as a Flemish.

It depends on how big your bunny is, as to which clippers work best. For small rabbits toenail clippers work fine, for larger ones small sharp pliers, the fancy toenail pliers for humans, or various ones sold for dogs and cats are good.

I prefer the ones that look like pliers or scissors better than the "guillotine" style. Indoor bunnies usually need their nails clipped every 4-6 weeks.

I handle my bunnies' feet when I pet them so they get used to it and they get treats when I clip their nails. Cheerios work well. Make sure you get the dew claw/thumb nail up front. Sometimes it's hard to see because of fur, but if left to grow it can grow in a circle and up into their paw.

For small rabbits toenail clippers work fine
I'm not sure Cloverhouse was talking about human toenail clippers, but if she was I want to point out that human toenail clippers should not be used on rabbits. They can crush the nail and may cause problems later on.
Here are two videos on how to properly clip toenails:

Thank you everyone! :)

Latest posts

Back