Do you leave the light on?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got into the habit of leaving a light on after having a couple of deaf bunnies. There were a few times that we really really scared them because they didn't know we were right there (couldn't hear us and there was no shadow to pick up on). After that we got in the habit of leaving a light on in a neighbouring room. It cut down on us scaring them and we noticed less late-night stomping as well.

missyscove wrote:
irishlops wrote:
Lola13 wrote:
thats the thing, we normally are awake with the light on untill about 11 - 12 at night, so I feel silly turning the light off if we are leaving for a little while, cuz its not his bed time yet. :p haha Plus he's super active and awake when it gets dark as well, so it doesnt make sense to turn the light off on him. I knew I wasnt carzy. haha
Rabbits are normally noctural so activity at night is normal.
Actually, rabbits are crepuscular species, they're most active at dawn and dusk.
Thank you for correcting me, now I know why my rabbits are awake at 6am!

I try to always leave the lamp near Max's cage on for him if I'm still awake and it's dark.. at least until my bedtime which is fairly late or if I leave to do errands. Especially this time of year when it gets dark at 4pm! When Max knows I'm still up and about the house, but he's stuck in a pitch dark living room, he gets mad at me with whomps and foot flicks in his cage so I know, lol. He never does that when I leave the light on until I go to my bedroom. I agree, bunnies seem to be very nocturnal.. but tbh, I've never ever caught Max sleeping, day or night!

Lola13 wrote:
Well, this kind of came about when I use to have a dog, and I knew I was going to be home after dark, I would leave a light on for him. So now, I feel like I should leave a light on for zentor. It's mostly during occations when it's like 6 o'clock and I have to go out to the store, then I like to leave the light on for him. My boyfriend thinks it's silly and that zentor doesn't care if the light is on or not.

Let me know what you all think? do you leave the light on for your buns?

For the first few weeks and months(when I was new to rabbits), I left a light on, the tv on, the radio on, anything that I thought would be comforting for them(Peter and Bugs), when I was away from the house. I think they really prefer low light, and no noise. --I base that partly on the fact their favorite spot in the house is a dark corner of my bedroom.

elrohwen wrote:
I we're just getting home from work late, then no, we don't leave a light on and we just turn it on when we get home.

If we're already home and need to pop out to the store or something, then yes, we'll leave the light on. I don't mind it being on for an hour when we're not home, but I'm not comfortable leaving it on all day with no one there because it's a waste of electricity and I don't think Otto cares.
Same here. I won't leave a light on all day, I'll just turn it on when I get home. But if I leave after dark, I will just leave the light one. (In those cases, I do prefer to have a light on when I get home, and it might as well be the light in the bunny room.)

I open the curtains for the buns before I leave for work and when I get home, I close the drapes and turn on the lights in the bunny room or if I am not going to be home when its dark I will have one of my kids or wife turn the lights on for them.

Latest posts

Back