Do you Have any input on behavior therapy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_peter_kraz

Reaction score
I'm hoping you can understand my problem( whichI'm sure you can). For those of you who do not know me myname is Peter and I have a rabbit named Faye that will be three inMay. She just got spayed on feb 14th and previous to that sheslept with me in my bed and cuddled with me for at least 2 hoursaday. I knew it was a must to have her spayed do tothe problems that could arise if she was not. So we made itthrough the surgery, shes back in full force, shes spending most of thenight out on the floor,I look over at her and see her staringat me all the time( lovingly and when I see that I'll lay on the floorwith her), she purrs all the time when I get down on the floor withher, shell jump on the bed to wake me up to feed her( bypulling and pushing on my feet), shell lick my face all thetime, and to sum it up back to her old self.We had a way ofcommunication that worked perfect if I saw her staring at me I wouldput my hand on the floor, if she wanted to get up she would bolt ( froma sitting position to my hand in seconds) to my hand, I wouldthen pick her up and set her in between my arm and chest. Shewould lay there for long periods of time just enjoying one another'scompany. Then always late at night she would hop up on thebed and we would fall a sleep together. When I woke she wouldstill be on the bed (most nights) either licking my face or stretchedout by the end. So now she is looks at me the same way butwhen I put my hand on the ground she may sit up, but doesn'tbudge. I'll try to pick her up and she throws atantrum. I never force her to be picked up. What Ido is slowly start to scoop her up and she jumps back or wiggles herway out then does a circle around the room. I can tell I'mannoying her when I try to pick her up. Now keep in mind shewas spayed on the 14th of feb.I try to understandwhat shes saying but I just whatmy bun to fall asleep with(isthat so wrong,lol) So after telling you what she behaveslike, I just want to know if I'm going to get my cuddling time with herback? Is this a thing of her past(cuddling)? Youthink she would miss it as much as me? She loves when I spendtime on the floor with her , she just will not return the favor andcome to my level (the bed)(like I do for her)( the floor).Well she come around or is that just something I lost after her femaleparts we're taken? Has anyone else had thisproblem? Is it temporary? Its getting cold withouther to be my little heating pillow:D

Thanks fore the help

Peter & Faye

First, it's not been long and she's probably a bit sore yet, and maybe a bit mad at you. This part should pass.

Also, bribery works wonders with Bo. LOL! If her favorite is cilantro, take it to bed with you. :p

Bo B Bunny wrote:

Also, bribery works wonders with Bo. LOL! If her favorite is cilantro, take it to bed with you. :p

Haha, I've actually done that. She eats away and then just toshow me she was using me (when shes done) hops right off thebed. Fayes a trouble maker. Sometimes I'mglad she cant talk because I would hate to hear what she hadto say about me these days after the surgery,lol.

Thanks again Bo B Bunny

Peter and Faye

Dr. Pete, you just gave me a hearty laugh to endmy long day! "Just to let me know she's using me"....I'm sure so many of us have been treated as such from our little furryfriends!

Give her a bit more time. She'll come around again.She might just be very busy when you are sleeping! There are bags totear and carboard to shred! :p

I tend to agree with Bo on this one.Bunnies can be really funny ... :). She's probablya little ticked with you that she had the surgery and I'll bet still abit sore too. Along with this, it's my understanding thathormonal fluctuations from the surgery may also elicit some behavioralchanges.

You're really fortunate to have enjoyed the relationship that you'vehad with her up until this point. My Sherman never has, doesnot now, and probably never will like to be picked up. Heloves being petted and cuddled if all four of his feet remain on thefloor, but picking him up ... nope ... he doesn't like that atall. The closest that I've come to him allowing me to pickhim up and cuddle him was after my husband passed. I thinkthat he sensed my grief and even then he only tolerated beingpicked up; he didn't fully enjoy the experience.

If your Faye's attitude has turned around to the point that she stillenjoys cuddling but no longer desires to be picked up, then you, as thebunny parent, will just have to modify your behavior abit. Cuddling time will have to be spent on the floor ather level. Who knows? Maybe in the future asthe after effects and memory of the surgery wear off she may get backto her old self. If not, then, again, it's just a matter ofmodifying your behavior.

Watch her closely and follow her "bunny" language. She'll letyou know what she will and won't accept from you at this stage of thegame. Be patient, offer treats, a lot of affection, and tonsof pats.

Keep us posted on your progress. We're rooting for you! ... :)

thank you I"ve got some tricks up my sleeve yet (right Bo B Bunny). Fayes going to fold, I hope.:D

I well keep you posted and thanks for the incite

Peter and his cuddle-less bun( faye)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Dr. Pete, you just gave me a hearty laugh to end my longday! "Just to let me know she's using me".... I'm sureso many of us have been treated as such from our little furryfriends!

Uh ... DEFINITELY so! My Sherman has made it clear that I'mthe one and true "bunny slave" in the hierarchy and should never aspireto a higher social status in the bunny kingdom! ... :?

Ok lets look at this shall we???
MMm feb 14th .... Valentines day, and what did you give Faye???
Flowers???? Nope
Treats????? Nope
Surgey????? Yes

OK I am only joking please don't be offended,
I know you mentioned that was your gift to her in one of your posts hence why I am taking the mickey out of you now.

Seriously though I think she is probably still a bit tender and maybe things are still trying to settle down after her surgery.

Give her a little more time.
Faye loves you and she knows you love her, she is so very lucky to have a loving daddy like you in her life!!

Don't rush her, she will be fine, she knows where to get her "lovins" from.;):)

I'd go with the rest on the fact she's probablystill tender and a bit ticked off with the whole process but she'llcome round with such a great bunny lover as you showing her how muchyou love her all the time.

If she keeps refusing to jump up to sleep on the bed in a few weeks,well you could always start sleeping on the floor to be with her :D. Itmight show her how far you're prepared to go to make amends too :D.

Kate

Guinevere before her surgery was VERY affectionate, snuggly bunny.

She got spayed and she was angry with me. Well shewas angry at people in general. She no longer wanted tosnuggle with me on my terms, only on hers.

Took about a month, and now Guinevere is SO cuddly that she sometimes drives me bonkers ;)

Like last night... she was in bed licking me... woke me up... but thenagain... maybe it was a good thing. about 30 minutes afterthat... I had a severe athsma attack. So since about 5:30 Ihave been gasping for breath... just now... at about 7:30 am I able tobreathe normally. Guin was by my side almost the entire time(cept when I was trying to find my inhaler, ran out since my insurancewont give me another one for 2 more weeks, and getting some coffee andvaporub to try and help myself. Now she is by my feet allproud of herself.

Wow I got off topic ::Laughs::

Just give her some time, she will forgive you I am sure =)

dr_peter_kraz wrote:
thank you I"ve got some tricks up my sleeve yet (right Bo BBunny). Fayes going to fold, I hope.:D

I well keep you posted and thanks for the incite

Peter and his cuddle-less bun( faye)
Peter I truly see your Faye will be back to normal. When Igot Shadow (she was already 3), although she has not gone through whatyour little Faye has, but in my case with Shadow there was no hope, shewasso bitter,ran away when patted, gruntedconstantly and just was down right nasty. Now after 4 monthsI have this little girl in my bed, comforting me just as your Faye doesto you. Patience and like bo said just keep enticing withsome favorite food, I use this method one in a while when I wont to becuddled:?And I am sure after she has healed and forgiven you she willlove again.

Best of luck Peter and Faye:D

bunsforlife wrote:

Like last night... she was in bed licking me... woke me up... but thenagain... maybe it was a good thing. about 30 minutes after that... Ihad a severe athsma attack.

I believe animals who we spend time with get a sense about us. Thinkabout it they seem to be extra loving when you are upset/worried etc

And when you are sick they normally stay right beside you, cats, dogs, bunnies, even my aunties pet budgie!!

I honestly believe animals can "sense' things

I agree with just about everything that has beenwritten here. Our mini-lop, Missy, when she was our housebunny, would never cuddle up to me, nor the Missus. She wouldcome for an ear rub(have you tried kneading her ears right where theyattach to the head, or stroking the length of them between a thumb andforefinger?) or a pet, then run away. It was always on herterms, always.

They do certainly have the ability to maintain a grudge for real and/orimagined offenses, at least, in our eyes. Spaying certainlywould fit into that category for a bun.

The best advice I've ever read regarding nullifying the negativebehavioral effects of the rabbit being neutered toward its owner is tohave someone else actually bring the rabbit to the vet for thesurgery! Then, the owner arrives upon the successfulconclusion of the procedure to"rescue" his furry little friend from theclutches of the evil humans in the medical smocks. No only isthe bun not likely to "hold" the owner responsible for all that hashappened, but it will be extremelyappreciative of the fact ithas been rescued.

Makes sense to me, even if rabbits don't necessarily buy it.;)

Buck

Hi Peter,

There have been times in Tucker's life when he just gets to be such amiserable little Terror. It had nothing to do with anyparticular reason why he all of the sudden gets in one of his moods, hewas just off. There was a point when he went through it for 2weeks. I was really getting concerned because I just wantedmy Tucker back.

Eventually, he comes out of it. I guess just like people, they have their good days and bad days.

My advice to you would be to continue to do what you've always done, bepatient, loving, get down on the floor and play with her, and she'llcome around.

Keep in mind, also, it takes a few weeks for their hormones to even outagain. Not surprising she's having some mood swings.

-Carolyn

Rowan wrote:
If she keeps refusing to jump up to sleep on the bed in a few weeks,well you could always start sleeping on the floor to be with her :D. Itmight show her how far you're prepared to go to make amends too :D.

Kate

Oh Kate your very funny,lol,hahaha. I will go as far as I must , thats right:D

bunsforlife wrote:

She got spayed and she was angry with me. Well shewas angry at people in general. She no longer wanted tosnuggle with me on my terms, only on hers.

Took about a month, and now Guinevere is SO cuddly that she sometimes drives me bonkers ;)

Like last night... she was in bed licking me... woke me up... but thenagain... maybe it was a good thing. about 30 minutes afterthat... I had a severe athsma attack. So since about 5:30 Ihave been gasping for breath... just now... at about 7:30 am I able tobreathe normally. Guin was by my side almost the entire time(cept when I was trying to find my inhaler, ran out since my insurancewont give me another one for 2 more weeks, and getting some coffee andvaporub to try and help myself. Now she is by my feet allproud of herself.

Wow I got off topic ::Laughs::

Just give her some time, she will forgive you I am sure =)
Oh no i think its a lovely story,

/// just slightly off topic ///

Dr. Kranz, have I understood correctly that you're an actual physician or is that just your "handle"? ... :)

dr_peter_kraz wrote:
Rowan wrote:

Kate

It's beginning to sound as if Faye is thinking she's not the one who needs the behavior therapy :D

JimD wrote:
dr_peter_kraz wrote:
Rowan wrote:

Kate

It's beginning to sound as if Faye is thinking she's not the one who needs the behavior therapy :D

Uh, Jim, I think that you just hit the nail right on the head! BOL! ... :D

Latest posts

Back