Do you give your adult buns pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igorsMistress

Reaction score
I've been reading about rabbit nutrition quite a bit and it seems there's two different schools of thought about pellets.

On one hand it's said once the bun is an adult they don't need pellets if the bun gets enough hay and greens. On the other it's suggested to have the pellets available to meet nutritional needs.

Do you feed pellets? Why or why not?

I do not feed pellets for two reasons. One, Theo is prone to Gi-stasis and the pellets give him gas. Two, they make Theo fat.
Also, I personally don't think there is any reason to feed a rabbit pellets when they are getting unlimited hay. Rabbits in the wild don't need them, so why do domestic rabbits? Maybe my opinion will change and I will try out a different brand, but I doubt it with all of Theo's health issues.

I give pellets to the bunnies that need to hold their weight up and also make sure they get what they need. It’s just easier and a bag of food last for a year for me. Because the one that eat pellets only get a tablespoon of pellets :)

The one that easily go up in weight don’t eat any pellets.

Unless you are a dedicated and savvy nutritionist, it would be difficult, imo, to track and monitor all the greens being fed (with their nutritional breakdown) to ensure the rabbits are getting all their needs for minerals and vitamins. A small daily portion of a healthy pellet brand is just an easy and simple way to help ensure that bunny is getting the recommended nutrition.

There are some rabbits that have particularly sensitive tummies. Theo had recently been getting a too-rich pellet brand that was causing issues. A proper brand with the right analysis is likely all that Theo needs. (Theo's 'mom' Mariam is an exceptionally bright 13 year old who has shown to be a quick study ;) )

The bulk of my rabbits' diets have been hay and fresh greens. I do feed less than 1/4 cup of Sherwood pellets as well. This brand is made and formulated differently than your typical rabbit pellets. I have also fed Oxbow in the past. Here's a summary of some of the brand/type options:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html

I gave pellets, mainly because they provide all the nutritional needs they need. If you don’t feed any pellets you should do the research to find what greens/veggies satisfy their nutritional needs. Hay is good for the gut but does not provide the vitamins and minerals of a well balanced diet. Not providing a well balanced diet - in the long run - will cause problems as they age.

I've been reading about rabbit nutrition quite a bit and it seems there are two different schools of thought about pellets.

On one hand, it's said once the bun is an adult they don't need pellets if the bun gets enough hay and greens. On the other, it's suggested to have the pellets available to meet nutritional needs.

Do you feed pellets? Why or why not?
I do feed pellets, it used to be only a little (a few teaspoons), but now I feed 1/4 cup, just to make sure that he is getting the best diet that I can give him because he does get a small variety of fresh veggies. Timothy based pellets do have a good nutritional value but if you do decide to not feed pellets, you would need to find fresh veggies that give them the nutrients (like protein, vitamins and minerals). Such as bok choy, romaine lettuce, kale or spinach (both of which should only be fed every few days due to the high calcium levels.

Everyone on here has told me it's fine to give adult rabbits just a few to balance their diet.. but again I don't even have my rabbit yet so...

Thanks, I pretty much agree. I bought a bag of food but it'll be no good before Hop Tart can finish it.

I do feed pellets, it used to be only a little (a few teaspoons), but now I feed 1/4 cup, just to make sure that he is getting the best diet that I can give him because he does get a small variety of fresh veggies. Timothy based pellets do have a good nutritional value but if you do decide to not feed pellets, you would need to find fresh veggies that give them the nutrients (like protein, vitamins and minerals). Such as bok choy, romaine lettuce, kale or spinach (both of which should only be fed every few days due to the high calcium levels.
I did read it's a good idea to give some to make sure they get all the minerals and such. I'll monitor how much she goes through and buy a much smaller bag next time. Thanks!

Bear in mind that not all pellets are equal (and some are down right unhealthy). Some are formulated for breeding rabbits and have protein levels that are considered too high for fixed indoor rabbits. Those made for house rabbits would not be great for breeders.

When feeding pellets in such small quantities, even the most pricey of brands is still pretty cheap. I calculated once that the priciest pellets ended up being just $5/month per rabbit.

I give 1/4 C of pellets to my adult bun, with unlimited hay. I have two little kids, so I don't have time to shop for fresh veggies daily (it's hard enough to keep salad stuff in the house for the humans in the days of COVID-19). However, we do offer treats a few times a month. A couple bites of a banana, cilantro, or fresh dandelions (greens and flowers!) from an unfertilized patch of grass.

I should add he gets VERY excited when he knows he's getting his little scoop of pellets, and if we haven't fed him by his usual feeding time at night he will bounce his stoneware feeding dish around his pen to remind us it's time to EAT! lol

Also, I use Oxbow for everything. Hay (timothy) and pellets for adult rabbits.

Thanks for replies all! I've added a 50# bale of timothy hay and a 10# bag of pellets to my cart on Chewy. We buy our dog food there.

I don't shop every day for produce but I do go every few days even now so keeping various greens on hand isn't a problem. Plus, I have a garden I can feed from as well.

Back